The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

I'm feeling like the only one saddened to see all of these proposed d line ups not include Salo! I wish we were an organization that would just let guys retire here. Since Linden our guys are getting weeded out a couple years before they are done. I didn't think Salo was that bad myself.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. Negative here but Bob's tweet said nothing to me that we didn't already know for the past couple weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed tho but still wouldn't surprise me if he didn't choose Vancouver.

Look, as a fanbase we should try to think things through thoroughly before we speak/act (if we want to change our reputation). If Salo gets punted by Gillis, blame Gillis for turning his back on Salo. Don't rip the replacement. You're pulling the Hodgson fanboys' calling card:

"Gillis/AV turn their noses up on Hodgson and jettison him outta town? Rip Kassian! What a bust!"

Wether Salo remains or goes has nothing to do with Shultz signing here. If he is indeed a die hard Canuck fan he will know what Salo has done with this team and what he means to this team. I believe wether Salo stays or not , has nothing to do with this decision. Off the bat Shultz might not get as "much" ice time as he will in Edmonton or Toronto, that being said, that ice time he wants will come very soon, as Salo will probably retire soon, and I don't think Ballard will be here for that long. So basically is a win win for Shultz. He signs with his child hood team, play with players he grew up idolizing, have a chance at a stanley cup, and be part of a long term future.

It shouldn't be surprising that Schultz would choose Vancouver, if that is his destination and sure, it's exciting but the Canucks would still lack a veteran top 4 defense man, and they have missed since Ehrhoff left. Giving Schultz that opportunity is great, but the Canucks need to win now, and Schultz's style of play, will take some growing pains. The canucks, are in desperate need of a veteran who is defensive responsible and is confident in what they're doing at the NHL level.

Edit: I'm saying as if I'm trying to jynx it and am being completely premature, but from start it was Edmonton, Toronto, and Vancouver. Mackenzie brought up Edmonton, and people connected Schultz to Toronto just because Gardiner plays there. From there, he was able to choose where he wanted to do, and it was seemed like it was clear that he wanted to play for a hockey market, which essentially means he wants to be on a contending team. That kind of shores it up. Now, that's whether you believe the media or not. If he signs elsewhere, then people should never trust the media again.

AV will probably be sitting their in the room with them, or on conference call... I would expect at least the coach and assistant coaches to be with Gillis and his management team... AV will probably be there with a football in his hand tossing it around with some of the other guys as always =)

But if I were AV, and I had the chance to add a blue chip defense prospect to my roster for free... He's getting the ice time.. Also, it doesn't mean that if Schultz is in a major slump and playing like crap, he is still guaranteed the ice time... If Schultz knows he is playing horribly, he isn't going to pout and whine if his ice time gets cut (especially on his home town team). He'd have to have gimungus balls to do that in this market where he grew up =)

"Of course, if the Canucks do land Schultz, there may be some downside. It is rumoured that the second Schultz is signed, the Ducks will file tampering charges against whichever team acquires him. As Elliotte Friedman wrote about a tampering investigation, in his indispensable thirty thoughts column today: "It's a tough process. You're obligated to hand over whatever correspondence the NHL desires.""

I'm probably just being naive, but why would signing Schultz be considered 'tampering'?

"Of course, if the Canucks do land Schultz, there may be some downside. It is rumoured that the second Schultz is signed, the Ducks will file tampering charges against whichever team acquires him. As Elliotte Friedman wrote about a tampering investigation, in his indispensable thirty thoughts column today: "It's a tough process. You're obligated to hand over whatever correspondence the NHL desires.""

I'm probably just being naive, but why would signing Schultz be considered 'tampering'?

Archived