The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Christians Reconcile Their Personal Political Views And The Teachings Of Their Faith:

In the United States frankly I see very little difference between the parties. Mitt Romney has policies very similar to Obama's. I think there are big problems with both parties. It seems both are heavily influenced by the same lobbyists.

It's amazing to me that many liberals seem to think there's a vast difference between the parties. You only need to go back to the 2008 election when Obama was elected only to continue most of Bush's failed policies.

Another evengelical movement would hopefully help bridge the growing gap between the ultra-conservative and the ultra-left wing.

Which is why I said voters. Although to say both parties are the same is also wrong. Yes, Obama has continued the neo-con foreign policy, but he's also introduced healthcare for million. That's something very few conservatives seem to approve these days. Then there's the whole host of social issues. I also don't think that many liberals are so disillusioned as you say. As voters, they didn't vote to continue Bush's policies, they voted for "hope and change", remember?

Ultra left wing? Do go on...

That's you. Most people will compromise. Short of a revolution, things aren't changing anyway. Who the voters vote for is irrelevant to this discussion, it's important what they vote for.

I think that conservatives/Republicans interpret Scripture correctly when it comes to issues such as the sanctity and dignity of human life and homosexuality. The Bible is clear on what it says on those issues and liberals disparage Christians for holding these sincere beliefs.

I think that liberals/Democrats interpret Scripture well in regards to economic issues. I think that there are many people who critically and crucially need social programs to help provide for them. Acts 2:44-45 lays out my ideal for what economic policy would be like: 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.

I think that Tommy Douglas "got it". He was a Baptist minister and I highly doubt he would support the NDP's social policies if he were alive today. But he was also a strong advocate of the social gospel and recognized the need for social programs like Medicare.

My favourite pastor, Tim Keller, has this interesting quote:

“I think these younger Christians are the vanguard of some major new religious, social, and political arrangements that could make the older form of culture wars obsolete. After they wrestle with doubts and objections to Christianity many come out on the other side with an orthodox faith that doesn't fit the current categories of liberal Democrat or conservative Republican.”

I think this is true. I think that with people rushing to the polar opposites sides of the secular/religious spectrum, those Christians who cling to their faith are becoming more aware of defences for this faith (i.e. apologetics) so it is not a blind faith. But unlike previous generations, I also think that they are becoming conscience of social justice and even environmental justice (interestingly, Francis Schaeffer, one of the most prominent American theologians of the past 50 years, wrote a book in the 1970s called Pollution And The Death Of Man which called the Church to respond to the environmental crisis well before "being green" became cool with the advent of An Inconvenient Truth).

As for the Bible being misinterpreted and altered over the years? Well, I know that there are some deviations in interpretation (John Wycliffe did alter some words so as to lessen the influence of the Catholic Church), but we have a plethora of Bible translations and I am confident that they convey the correct message of the Gospel.

People always reflect their own beliefs upon their religious icons... that should be no surprise. It's how they can reconcile themselves that they would be 'good' in the eyes of their deity.

What would be interesting would be to hear what the living Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and Abraham, et al. would really say about the practices of their advocates today. I am certain it would be far more shocking to most of them than it would be to myself.

Contemporary Jesus?!? That's a laughable concept in and of itself.....as in, what would Jesus be like if he was raised in the OC? LOL

religion , the opiate of the masses but when they talk about god they make him sound like fascist , jesus christ was a pacifist , and the sh#t they do in his name would probably make him pissed

religion coming on with the same old line of bullsh#t , placate the masses , tap into their wallets , how the hell can you tell me about the after life , you ain't been there , and jack neither have i

I think that conservatives/Republicans interpret Scripture correctly when it comes to issues such as the sanctity and dignity of human life and homosexuality. The Bible is clear on what it says on those issues and liberals disparage Christians for holding these sincere beliefs.

“Czeslaw Milosz, the Nobel Prize-winning Polish poet, wrote the remarkable essay ‘The Discreet Charms of Nihilism.’ In it he remembers how Marx had called religion ‘the opiate of the people’ because the promise of an afterlife (Marx said) led the poor and the working class to put up with unjust social conditions. But, Milosz continued: ‘And now we are witnessing a transformation. A true opium of the people is a belief in nothingness after death—the huge solace of thinking that our betrayals, greed, cowardice, murders are not going to be judged… [but] all religions recognize that our deeds are imperishable”

Archived