The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicest Canuck/hockey Player That You Have Met

MrCuttingCrewed

Used to work at Rosie's on Robson, at the Rosedale Hotel. Many Canucks stay there when first arriving to the team. Many times the visiting team also stays there.. it's a "suite" hotel. Don Cherry was even in one night.

I was lucky enough to get Ohlund's autograph, as he's was having lunch with Bert. He had just joined the team.

I also worked at UBC Golf Club, and met Tiger Williams, Alex Mogilny, and even Pat Quinn a few months after he was fired. He said it was like getting kicked out of the house.

And I also met Burke in the Oakridge mall parking lot, just after he was fired as well.. said we'd miss him and he just said.. "well.. thanks", and kept walking. :)

And a couple of years back, I saw Bieksa carrying his baby son in his arms, walking down Georgia street. Didn't bother him.. just gave the peace sign :)

By the way.. I also used to work at Nick's Spaghetti House on Commercial, when the Nucks were still at the Pacific Coliseum.. Dave Babych and the boys used to come in for lunch on game days.

Of all the pro hockey players I have met, the vast majority were very nice (including Theo Fleury and Try Crowder, BTW)

The only one that I didn't care for was Turner Stevenson, who seemed to think that anyone from PG should consider him some kind of hero.

Dan Hamhuis stood out as the most genuinely nice guy in a list that includes Orland Kurtenbach, Dennis Kearns, Tony Tanti, Gary Nylund, Kevin McCarthy, Don Nachbaur, Jim and Larry Playfair and Doug Gilmour.

I kind of met Eric Brewer once, but it was pretty awkward, so I have no idea if he's a nice guy or not.

I was ringing through his groceries when I scanned his point card, and I noticed the name. Thinking he just had a semi-famous name, I said "hey, isn't there a Brewer who plays for St. Louis or something?" and he responds "yeah". After a short awkward pause, I finally realize what he meant, and bumble awkwardly through the rest of the groceries in silence until I told him to have a good day.

So awkward... D:

Trevor Linden also passed through a couple times, he was really brisk though. I can understand why, he probably gets stopped all the time. The manager at the time had the balls to tell him respectfully how highly he regarded him, and he seemed nice enough to stop, listen, and respond though.

Well I was very little but weve met a few canuck players I just wish i was old enough to appreciate it! :( But I believe it was last year I met Shane Doan and Jason Labarbera and also of course he was my in Ed Jovanovski, I also met Nick Lidstrom and a few more but i can't think of them right now

Lidstrom is a nice guy, I've met him a few times because everytime my uncle plays in Detroit we go to see him, and we always met a few red wings too which isn't so special to use anymore because we have met the main ones and were kinda really dislike the red wings anyways. :P

Jason Labarbera is a really nice guy too, he is all smiles when he's with people and he just all around seems like a good guy

Ed Jovanovski, I've of course met him but im not revealing my connection to him on CDC, becides the fact he is a really great guy having talked to him more than a few times and knowing him personally and his family. He is genuanlly great guy and he will talk to fans after even a huge loss, really great guy.

And Shane Doan is SOOO nice I couldn't believe it like he is asking how we all are asking us different questions all interested and he starts up stories ( and this is after a 5-0 loss that night D: ) He is just a great guy, the best (besides eddie to me of course) that i've met before and I've met quite a few other players.

I'm going to the florida-detroit game on april 1st so I'll get to meet some of the panthers for the first time now me and my family are super excited !

So basically all the NHL players I have met were really great guys, they usually are!

I've done some hockey with Trevor Linden and Stan Smyl, they're both great guys.

To pick a few bad ones, Kes definitely seems like a jerk although I haven't met him but he presents himself as one and I've heard from others.

Jovo was bad too, my team practiced with the Canucks a while back and he was to ONLY player to not sign autographs. Also, some friends of mine living in West Vancouver (where he lived) have confirmed this.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I've met a lot of Canucks over the years and even some non-Canucks. I've been pretty lucky. :P

From a signing: I'd say Alex Burrows. Signed my jersey, autograph book, and a picture even though he was only supposed to sign one. Fav. player so I'm a little biased.

I recently met Kevin Bieksa at Target in the States (on Sunday). I approached him unsure if it really was him but in fact it was. We had a good conversion about the Canucks and well Target. He was really nice, took a picture and signed my receipt (should have ran down to the supplies aisle and took a sheet of paper).

I also found Markus Naslund to be nice. I met him years ago (during his prime) at a North Vancouver save-on-foods. I was looking for a cake and saw him browsing the deli section. I introduced myself and we had a short but friendly conversation. I was only a kid then but he didn't seem to mind. I didn't get a picture but he asked for a paper from the deli lady and signed me his autograph. He did ask me where my parents were (they were in the car, waiting for me to buy the cake , visiting a relative...). Nazzy was surprised that I actually recognized him.

Neither Bieksa nor Naslund were annoyed that I took some of their time. I've met some others but it was either just a quick picture or an akward moment (they were supposedly in a rush).

The worst one has got to be Dave Bolland. Met him in 2009 in a club. He was grinding some sluts and when I approached him he got all pissy. I began to walk away and then he called me a couple of things. Should'a beat his ass but I wouldn't take that risk (not that type of a person). Would have been a smart move though, hurt him and maybe we could've advanced to the 3rd round that year.

• 1 month later...

Guy LaFleur came to Nanaimo with the Old Timers Hockey League in like '97 when I was a lad, and my flyer # was called out for autographs. I spoke with him briefly (though he ignored me until I spoke french).... was nice enough! Haven't met any other players...

Nicest was Ceasar Maniago, then a North Star who I chatted with while watching the Old Gumper play a preseason game with a mask.

Worst was Henri Richard, got his autograph but never liked him after that.

Guy Lafleur was good too.

Dan Hamhuis, very nice and polite guy. Markus Naslund and Ohlund were nice to me too but short meeting, Cloutier was a bit of a douche but again short meeting.

Dany Heatley and Scott Hannan are okay dudes I guess, not rude or nice just normal guys at an autograph signing, smiling a bit smallest of small talk and signing whatever wherever.

Paul Reinhart and Darcy Rota are really nice guys but i think retired hockey players just have more time to talk :P

Grew up and still live by Brett Connolly, hes a year older than me, mature beyond his years and to strangers he's very nice and around people he knows hes an average dude, likes to party every now and then like everyone else, cracks jokes and so forth, fairly easy going but a beast in the gym

Also played hockey against RNH, never really talked to him but that kid is so focussed on and off the ice.

Oh also sat behind Gilbert Brule at game 2 of SCF this past year, didnt wanna bother him with his family but those that did got a nice response from him.

oh oh forgot also grew up playing hockey with Brett Bulmer (2nd round pick of Wild 2 years ago, played 7 games at the start of the season this year, one was in Van) and went to high school with him BIGGEST DOUCHEBAG IVE EVER MET, tried fighting a guy in my hockey class, typical hockey player at school-chirping kids for no reason. Also never really comes back to PG or does anything at all for the community unlike other prolific hockey players like Connolly and Ryan Howse(3rd rounder of Flames) or Brandon Manning (played a few games for Flyers this year).

Straight douchebag but thats his game, big ego but gives him that confidence to score all the goals he does. I have friends who play in the WHL and they say hes the most hated guy in the league

The nicest by far to me was Trevor Linden hands down, met him more than once, but the one time I will always remember was when I was younger I had a binder of hockey cards, but I had 37 Trevor Linden cards in it. I was at my fathers work and because my father works with professional athletes Trevor was one of his clients technically his first client ever, which started his career, anyways, my father asked Trevor if he didn't mind signing one of my cards. Trevor said sure no problem, when he saw my binder he said how many you have I showed him how many I had, he said I will sign them all. I was shocked he sat there and signed 37 of my cards of him with no problem at all. I was the happiest kid ever I just couldn't believe he would spend the time to sign every card I was not expecting that at all, but that's how nice of a guy he was. To this day they are still in the binder and haven't been removed!

Also had the opportunity to meet, Jyrki Lumme at his house, very nice guy and very friendly. I met Paul Kariya a couple of times and his sister and younger brother Steve who used to play with Vancouver, they all are nice people. Also met Cliff Ronning a few times, once at his home, he actually gave me one of his hockey sticks about 8 years ago that him and another ex NHL player were making, the Warrior one piece stick. Met Joe Sakic at his parents house one time, he was a really nice guy as well.

I also met Markus Naslund at his home when he used to live here, honestly I didn't find him to be one of the nicest guys I had met, but he still beat out Pavel Bure. Bure was a dick, I met him in the dressing room after a Canucks game when they used to play at the Pacific Coliseum, it was for my birthday. I had 3 other friends there with me, we all wanted his autograph, but when we went up to him he walked passed us and didn't want to sign our cards, eventually Gino Odjick no joke told Bure to come back and sign these kids cards. Gino believe it or not was naked and we still got his autograph it was pretty funny, we laughed about that on the way home.

Archived