The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicest Canuck/hockey Player That You Have Met

MrCuttingCrewed

It could have just been a bad day but we met him at a signing probably 15 years ago. He just grabbed his book(The Game) out of my hands signed it and didn't say a word to us. And a couple kids ahead of us asked for an extra signature on their jerseys and he basically yelled at them saying he was only signing one item.

Could of just been a bad day but even on my worse days, I'm still decent with people.

Marty Gelinas (asked me what i did for a living)

But bar none the nicest Canuck I have ever met is Greg Adams (I won a contest when I was 15 to caddy him in a golf tourney- so I spent 7 full hours with him. He is genuine, funny, friendly and well liked). He asked me to come back and caddy him again a second time the next year (Andy Moog holds an annual golf tourney in Penticton I used to meet hockey players tehre all off the time.

Cliff Ronning is a very nice man too, I met him when I was 15 and he recognized me 8 years later in a bar in Calgary :D

Most recently I met a bunch of the Canucks at the hotel last year the day before the playoffs...I remember Hodgson had the biggest smile, he looked like a kid in the candy store...but it was a quick hand shake to all of the players and "kick some A$$ boys" My mom was with me I was trying hard not to embarras myself :D

But Id have to say Greg wins :D

I met Linden at Hockey Day in Canada this year. He was getting totally mobbed at the CBC booth after the official autograph signing but he was still really nice and singing everything he could. He made my total canucks fandom life when he acknowledged me and my old school CCM stick and rink Linden jersey and pulled it out of the crowd to sign it. :frantic:

Met MayRay at a singing at a GM dealer in Abbey. He was really nice, polite, quiet and friendly. Seemed really genuine.

Kes and LaPierre at the Skate With The Canucks event. I think they both were in autograph session mode and signing along the line. They were nice but it's not an environment conducive to really talking since the organizers were really pushing to get everyone through. Lappy signed the obligatory one thing, and then did an extra for me totally unprompted while I waited for Kes. Kes did my jersey and an extra item too (yearbook).

(On another note, I have a photo of the Linden/Kes autographed jerseys side by side and want to do it as my profile pic but they won't UPLOAD... any help? Tried downsizing to a smaller file but still doesn't work)

On the negative side, when I lived in Victoria Gretzky was there for a golf tourney, I wasn't super interested in meeting him (if it happened it happened, but he wasn't who I was there for). During and for weeks after I kept hearing stories about how big of a jerk he was. There was someone I was talking to who saw him walk away from a kid really rudely after the cameras had been turned off.

Mario Lemieux was also there and was supposedly really nice.

I didn't get a chance to talk to him at all, but at the last Canucks game I went to (Oilers game right before the all-star break) Kevin Bieksa tossed his stick over the glass when he was announced as first star for the game. I met the kid (probably 10-12 years old) who he gave it to after the game, and a bunch of us waited where the players drove out. All of the guys were in a hurry to get home I guess, no one even really acknowledged us, except Bieksa stopped to sign the kid's stick and a couple of hats.

Wish I had been able to get his signature on my jersey, but I get that they don't want to stick around too long after the game. I was really impressed that he made sure to stop and sign his stick for the kid, though. That was super classy.

Trevor Linden hands down.

Honourable mention to Alexandre Mogilny. The Canucks were doing a big signing for all the kids one day shortly after GM Place had first been opened. Every kid got a ticket that gave them the chance to get an autograph from two random players. I got Garth Snow and Adrian Aucoin. Back then my favourite players were Linden and Mogilny and I was crushed that I couldn't meet Mogilny. I tried with the help of my mom's husband to get a hello in but security kept us back. I was completely heart broken and had given up as my mom's husband had admitted defeat and said there was no way we could get a chance to meet him. I guess Alex saw this because he stood up and left the giant line of people waiting to get an autograph and came over to me and shook my hand and gave me his signature. Say what you want about the guy but he made me as happy as any little kid could've been that day.

Evander Kane drove me to Pizza Hut when I was a kid going to his sister's birthday party...that was a trip considering where he is now. He seemed like a cool guy, but I've heard a lot of bad staff about him. Eddie Shack wasn't too friendly when I met him. I actually met Kesler at Pacific Centre with his family, I just said "keep up the good work Ryan" while he happened to be on a bit of a scoring slump, but he just nodded solemnly and said "thanks". Oh god...and Patrick Kane f****d one of my friends after going to the Roxy...never spoke to that girl again :picard:

Not a canuck, but Mark Recchi joined our table and had drinks with us for a couple hours the night before my wedding in Kamloops. It was the night that he and Jerome Iginla were in town finalizing the deal where they (and others) bought the Blazers, after Jerome and others left he came and sat with us. Think wifey might have a picture on her laptop somewhere.

We were giving him a hard time about signing with the Pens instead of coming home to play for the Nucks. He said at the time that he had actually tried to, but apparently management didn't return calls from his agent so he went to Pittsburgh. Dunno if he was just saying that or not, but would have been nice to see him sign here.

Archived