Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Nicest Canuck/hockey Player That You Have Met

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#61 linden16kesler17

linden16kesler17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Manny Malhotra is one of the nicest guy I've met. He's just so classy and took the time to take a picture with me and my friends.

I met Brandon yip to. He looked nice at first but he was kind of a d*ck

I know Brandon Yip's mom a little bit. She comes off the same way at the start.

#62 canucklover17

canucklover17

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

i met weise booth and higgins at a soccer game. weise was pretty quiet but booth was super nice and all smiles, and he asked me to take a picture of him and weise on his iphone!

#63 PavelsElbow

PavelsElbow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

The only NHLer I've ever met is Trent Klatt. :P He was okay.

ahaha same, i have a signed hat from him. He was very nice from what i remember.

Been a Canucks fan my whole life but have never got the chance to meet a Canuck. So lame.

I went in a bathroom stall as tiger williams walked out of it when i was a kid. At the time i had no idea who he was (Being like 6 or 7 and clueless :P) my dad had a conversation with him and told me after i felt like the biggest fred but thought it was so cool! (This was at GM Place way back when).

I have also seen Rod Pelley (plays for the Ducks now i believe used to play for the Devils) in a Canada day parade in Kitimat (My parents are born and raised there so i get the pleasure of going up there every few years)
Sig too big.

#64 canucksmarie2

canucksmarie2

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have had the honor of meeting pretty much the whole team and they are all really nice!! The guys who spent the most time talking to me and asking questions were Kelser, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Manny, Luongo, Burr and Raymond!!!!!
Last season i met Raffi Torres with my dad in Anahiem and he talked to us for like 20 minutes and was soo nice. Then in round 2 against Nashville both my parents ran into Raffi in Vancouver and my Mom went up to him and was like thanks for taking the time to talk to my daughter in LA. Then Raffi was like no it was at a starbucks in Anaheim!!!!!!! he was sooo nice and he remebered me!!!!!!!!!
I am also trying to meet the whole team Canada Olympic team and Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf are pretty good. But Doughty seems a little jerkish to me. And Teemu Selanne is one of the nicest people I've ever met!!!

#65 Kobra

Kobra

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

I played Baseball with Brandon Yip and Brendan Morrison lived on my street. Both are from Pitt Meadows.
I knew this team was better with Wellwood in the lineup. At least he was always hungry.

#66 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Gino Odjick is a family friend of mine and I see him around a bit, he's really nice but is a bit crazy (as is expected after a career of enforcing and the way he played). My Aunty is close friends with him and has met most of the Canucks guys from the 90's, says they were all pretty great.

Want to meet Linden, but haven't really had the chance to yet though.. a few of my friends were in Whistler during december I think and saw him in the hottubs at their hotel or whatever with a bunch of women :P

Edited by Hansen 36, 13 March 2012 - 12:20 AM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#67 Vaeneir

Vaeneir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

I'm in Calgary, so no Canuck meet ups. I did briefly run into Robyn Regehr when he was still a Flame, dude is massive.

Gotta say though, even though I haven't met him, that Jarome Iginla is an incredible stand-up guy. I used to hate on him, but he's won me over with his class acts over the years. My story: My wife works for a company that provides his auto service, and she asked him if he could help her get a Luongo signature for me for Christmas. Iggy took the Lou jersey she'd gotten for me, brought it with him on his next trip to Vancouver, had Lou sign it and brought it back to her at her work.

Phenomenal guy to do that for someone who cheers for the opposition.

#68 tippefan

tippefan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Most that I've met have been good...a few that stand out are Naslund, Demitra, Ehrhoff, Weise, Greg Adams, Kirk McLean, Garry Monahan and of non-Canucks Bryan Trottier and Kelly Hrudey.

Trevor Linden seems nice too but I met him in a big autograph session where the organizers were rushing everyone along.

Only negative experience was with Paul Kariya. I went to see the Predators play because I was a big fan of his and his brothers. Stood outside GM Place after the game in my Steve Kariya jersey and saw Paul come out one of the doors. I was the only fan around, asked him if he'd please sign something and he didn't even acknowledge me. A simple "sorry, not tonight" would have been much better than being completely ignored.

A year or two later he was quoted post-lockout as saying that to get fans back players should sign more autographs.

Edited by tippefan, 13 March 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#69 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:04 AM

I've met most of the team and nobody's unfriendly. I met Luongo and Burrows once at the same time and Luongo's wife was kind enough to snap the photo for me. Recently met Zack Kassian and he's a really nice humble and polite guy and I really liked the picture I took with him. That biography thingy about Zack Kassian is absolutely correct, he could definitely crush your hand in a handshake. Met Nicklas Jensen sometime during training camp during the summer and he's really nice too.

Former Canucks Hodgson and Ehrhoff were great for sure.

Players that don't play for the Canucks that are pretty nice are Shea Weber, Chet Pickard and Jonathan Toews.

Edited by canucksgirl1234, 13 March 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#70 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,209 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

I've played golf with and hung around the driving range with Gino Odjick a few times, great guy, funny too.

I've had a few encounters with Tiger Williams, he's a racist asshole and a nasty drunk.

Darcy Rota was friends with my Dad's best friend (RIP) when I was a kid, good guy.

The nicest NHL player I've met is Ian Laperierre, Luke Richardson is a good guy as well.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter, 13 March 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#71 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I met Darcy Rota at the Raise a reader and he was all smiles and super friendly, as I passed him a 2nd time 15 minutes later he actually remembered who I was, which was pretty damn cool.

#72 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

Terry Crisp

When I was a youngster (10 years old) I was walking with my dad in the bowels of the Pacific Colisieum and he stopped us and gave me a bag of cookies. He said his secretary made them for him but he was watching his weight. Still remember it to this day.

Honourable mention to Greg Adams and Trevor Linden......I'm a sucker for cookies.

#73 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Naslund and Linden were both very friendly and chatty.

Sopel was funny but was half cut when I met him.

Gino was pretty cold.

Bure you needed boobs to even get close to him.

Golfed with Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, and Fluery after the Nucks eliminated the Flames in the '94 run. They were all very friendly and down to earth. I walked in just looking to get on the course and they invited me to golf with them. Vernon was supposed to be their fourth but was too hungover and bailed.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#74 Lets Get Nucked

Lets Get Nucked

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Corey Schneider for sure for me. Stopped too take a picture with me while Raymond, Lapierre, and Burrows walked right past. Nothing against those guys though.
Posted Image

#75 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

I grew up around Gary Lupul in River City. He was front and center hockey royalty.

I attended Pat Quinn's Hockey School in White Rock in 1970.

Other Canucks of that era were with him teaching but I was too young to remember anyone but Mr. Quinn.

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

Well guys, there's a lot of good stories there but we should never forget, even sportsmen can have bad days and being human, some may handle it better than others.

Ironically one of my best friends came over as a total AH the first couple of times I met him. Then one dark December night, I found myself in an almost deserted railway station car park covered in 8" of snow with a Mini Cooper that wouldn't start.

Through the snow this guy appears and helps me to get started and we were great mates after that. I have since been in some pretty scary situations with him but he was always solid. Eventually I was best man at his highland wedding..........one of the best I've ever been to.

So it's not always easy assessing someone on just being a few minutes in their company.
Kevin.jpg

#77 Guest_Lelongooo_*

Guest_Lelongooo_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

I met Adrian Aucoin during a hockey camp, really nice guy. Ron Tugnutt was a nice guy as well when I met him.

#78 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

I built Stan Smyl's house in West Van back in the 90's - great guy really down to earth. Did some work for Tom Renney as well when he became the Canucks coach and bought a house on Sentinel Hill. He seemed like a decent guy although didn't see him much but his wife was a serious cow.
Posted Image

#79 denudational

denudational

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Jarome Iginla's a total sweetheart. Zach Parise is really approachable, definitely gives off the vibe that he's just another guy. And a lot of the guys that play for teams like Norway or Latvia are a total riot.

For anyone who knows anything about women's hockey - Julie Chu strikes me as the Trevor Linden of USA Hockey. Just a classy, classy lady.

#80 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

in the 90's i met jiri slegar sitting on the bench eating strawberries, nice guy with a hero's mullet, waited 2 hours to meet paval bure and gino odick, they were quiet but understandable since they were hung over lol

#81 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Used to work at Rosie's on Robson, at the Rosedale Hotel. Many Canucks stay there when first arriving to the team. Many times the visiting team also stays there.. it's a "suite" hotel. Don Cherry was even in one night.

I was lucky enough to get Ohlund's autograph, as he's was having lunch with Bert. He had just joined the team.

I also worked at UBC Golf Club, and met Tiger Williams, Alex Mogilny, and even Pat Quinn a few months after he was fired. He said it was like getting kicked out of the house.

And I also met Burke in the Oakridge mall parking lot, just after he was fired as well.. said we'd miss him and he just said.. "well.. thanks", and kept walking. :)

And a couple of years back, I saw Bieksa carrying his baby son in his arms, walking down Georgia street. Didn't bother him.. just gave the peace sign :)

By the way.. I also used to work at Nick's Spaghetti House on Commercial, when the Nucks were still at the Pacific Coliseum.. Dave Babych and the boys used to come in for lunch on game days.

#82 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,920 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Of all the pro hockey players I have met, the vast majority were very nice (including Theo Fleury and Try Crowder, BTW)

The only one that I didn't care for was Turner Stevenson, who seemed to think that anyone from PG should consider him some kind of hero.

Dan Hamhuis stood out as the most genuinely nice guy in a list that includes Orland Kurtenbach, Dennis Kearns, Tony Tanti, Gary Nylund, Kevin McCarthy, Don Nachbaur, Jim and Larry Playfair and Doug Gilmour.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#83 iamspuzzum

iamspuzzum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Forgot to mention... our accountant Donna at the Rosedale Hotel, back in late 90's.. is Steve Yzerman's cousin. The rare time we actually beat the Wings, here in town.. he was in the restaurant after the game. Donna wouldn't let "anybody" near him :P

#84 Lemming

Lemming

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

I kind of met Eric Brewer once, but it was pretty awkward, so I have no idea if he's a nice guy or not.

I was ringing through his groceries when I scanned his point card, and I noticed the name. Thinking he just had a semi-famous name, I said "hey, isn't there a Brewer who plays for St. Louis or something?" and he responds "yeah". After a short awkward pause, I finally realize what he meant, and bumble awkwardly through the rest of the groceries in silence until I told him to have a good day.

So awkward... D:

Trevor Linden also passed through a couple times, he was really brisk though. I can understand why, he probably gets stopped all the time. The manager at the time had the balls to tell him respectfully how highly he regarded him, and he seemed nice enough to stop, listen, and respond though.

#85 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Tanner Glass & Trevor Linden.

#86 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

Well I was very little but weve met a few canuck players I just wish i was old enough to appreciate it! :( But I believe it was last year I met Shane Doan and Jason Labarbera and also of course he was my in Ed Jovanovski, I also met Nick Lidstrom and a few more but i can't think of them right now

Lidstrom is a nice guy, I've met him a few times because everytime my uncle plays in Detroit we go to see him, and we always met a few red wings too which isn't so special to use anymore because we have met the main ones and were kinda really dislike the red wings anyways. :P

Jason Labarbera is a really nice guy too, he is all smiles when he's with people and he just all around seems like a good guy

Ed Jovanovski, I've of course met him but im not revealing my connection to him on CDC, becides the fact he is a really great guy having talked to him more than a few times and knowing him personally and his family. He is genuanlly great guy and he will talk to fans after even a huge loss, really great guy.

And Shane Doan is SOOO nice I couldn't believe it like he is asking how we all are asking us different questions all interested and he starts up stories ( and this is after a 5-0 loss that night D: ) He is just a great guy, the best (besides eddie to me of course) that i've met before and I've met quite a few other players.

I'm going to the florida-detroit game on april 1st so I'll get to meet some of the panthers for the first time now me and my family are super excited !

So basically all the NHL players I have met were really great guys, they usually are!

Edited by CodyHodgson's #1fan, 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM.

Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#87 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've done some hockey with Trevor Linden and Stan Smyl, they're both great guys.

To pick a few bad ones, Kes definitely seems like a jerk although I haven't met him but he presents himself as one and I've heard from others.

Jovo was bad too, my team practiced with the Canucks a while back and he was to ONLY player to not sign autographs. Also, some friends of mine living in West Vancouver (where he lived) have confirmed this.

#88 Doanuts

Doanuts

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

sadly, probably Cody Hodgson :/

It's never sad meeting a hockey player!

OT : Ryan Kesler.

#89 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Met Kirk McLean at the river rock last year, he signed my jersey last year!!! Was super classy, and approachable. Met Pinizotto too and he seemed really humble too, told him too bad he got injured, would have been nice to see him up in the bigs.

#90 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

My dad used to hang out with Dave Semenko, who was Gretzky's goon. <_< He said he was a nice enough guy.

He gave him a ride to the airport one time and had him sign his truck.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.