The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nicest Canuck/hockey Player That You Have Met

MrCuttingCrewed

I have had the honor of meeting pretty much the whole team and they are all really nice!! The guys who spent the most time talking to me and asking questions were Kelser, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Manny, Luongo, Burr and Raymond!!!!!

Last season i met Raffi Torres with my dad in Anahiem and he talked to us for like 20 minutes and was soo nice. Then in round 2 against Nashville both my parents ran into Raffi in Vancouver and my Mom went up to him and was like thanks for taking the time to talk to my daughter in LA. Then Raffi was like no it was at a starbucks in Anaheim!!!!!!! he was sooo nice and he remebered me!!!!!!!!!

I am also trying to meet the whole team Canada Olympic team and Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf are pretty good. But Doughty seems a little jerkish to me. And Teemu Selanne is one of the nicest people I've ever met!!!

Gino Odjick is a family friend of mine and I see him around a bit, he's really nice but is a bit crazy (as is expected after a career of enforcing and the way he played). My Aunty is close friends with him and has met most of the Canucks guys from the 90's, says they were all pretty great.

Want to meet Linden, but haven't really had the chance to yet though.. a few of my friends were in Whistler during december I think and saw him in the hottubs at their hotel or whatever with a bunch of women :P

I'm in Calgary, so no Canuck meet ups. I did briefly run into Robyn Regehr when he was still a Flame, dude is massive.

Gotta say though, even though I haven't met him, that Jarome Iginla is an incredible stand-up guy. I used to hate on him, but he's won me over with his class acts over the years. My story: My wife works for a company that provides his auto service, and she asked him if he could help her get a Luongo signature for me for Christmas. Iggy took the Lou jersey she'd gotten for me, brought it with him on his next trip to Vancouver, had Lou sign it and brought it back to her at her work.

Phenomenal guy to do that for someone who cheers for the opposition.

Most that I've met have been good...a few that stand out are Naslund, Demitra, Ehrhoff, Weise, Greg Adams, Kirk McLean, Garry Monahan and of non-Canucks Bryan Trottier and Kelly Hrudey.

Trevor Linden seems nice too but I met him in a big autograph session where the organizers were rushing everyone along.

Only negative experience was with Paul Kariya. I went to see the Predators play because I was a big fan of his and his brothers. Stood outside GM Place after the game in my Steve Kariya jersey and saw Paul come out one of the doors. I was the only fan around, asked him if he'd please sign something and he didn't even acknowledge me. A simple "sorry, not tonight" would have been much better than being completely ignored.

A year or two later he was quoted post-lockout as saying that to get fans back players should sign more autographs.

I've met most of the team and nobody's unfriendly. I met Luongo and Burrows once at the same time and Luongo's wife was kind enough to snap the photo for me. Recently met Zack Kassian and he's a really nice humble and polite guy and I really liked the picture I took with him. That biography thingy about Zack Kassian is absolutely correct, he could definitely crush your hand in a handshake. Met Nicklas Jensen sometime during training camp during the summer and he's really nice too.

Former Canucks Hodgson and Ehrhoff were great for sure.

Players that don't play for the Canucks that are pretty nice are Shea Weber, Chet Pickard and Jonathan Toews.

I've played golf with and hung around the driving range with Gino Odjick a few times, great guy, funny too.

I've had a few encounters with Tiger Williams, he's a racist asshole and a nasty drunk.

Darcy Rota was friends with my Dad's best friend (RIP) when I was a kid, good guy.

The nicest NHL player I've met is Ian Laperierre, Luke Richardson is a good guy as well.

Terry Crisp

When I was a youngster (10 years old) I was walking with my dad in the bowels of the Pacific Colisieum and he stopped us and gave me a bag of cookies. He said his secretary made them for him but he was watching his weight. Still remember it to this day.

Honourable mention to Greg Adams and Trevor Linden......I'm a sucker for cookies.

Naslund and Linden were both very friendly and chatty.

Sopel was funny but was half cut when I met him.

Gino was pretty cold.

Bure you needed boobs to even get close to him.

Golfed with Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, and Fluery after the Nucks eliminated the Flames in the '94 run. They were all very friendly and down to earth. I walked in just looking to get on the course and they invited me to golf with them. Vernon was supposed to be their fourth but was too hungover and bailed.

I grew up around Gary Lupul in River City. He was front and center hockey royalty.

I attended Pat Quinn's Hockey School in White Rock in 1970.

Other Canucks of that era were with him teaching but I was too young to remember anyone but Mr. Quinn.

Well guys, there's a lot of good stories there but we should never forget, even sportsmen can have bad days and being human, some may handle it better than others.

Ironically one of my best friends came over as a total AH the first couple of times I met him. Then one dark December night, I found myself in an almost deserted railway station car park covered in 8" of snow with a Mini Cooper that wouldn't start.

Through the snow this guy appears and helps me to get started and we were great mates after that. I have since been in some pretty scary situations with him but he was always solid. Eventually I was best man at his highland wedding..........one of the best I've ever been to.

So it's not always easy assessing someone on just being a few minutes in their company.

Guest Lelongooo

I met Adrian Aucoin during a hockey camp, really nice guy. Ron Tugnutt was a nice guy as well when I met him.

I built Stan Smyl's house in West Van back in the 90's - great guy really down to earth. Did some work for Tom Renney as well when he became the Canucks coach and bought a house on Sentinel Hill. He seemed like a decent guy although didn't see him much but his wife was a serious cow.

Jarome Iginla's a total sweetheart. Zach Parise is really approachable, definitely gives off the vibe that he's just another guy. And a lot of the guys that play for teams like Norway or Latvia are a total riot.

For anyone who knows anything about women's hockey - Julie Chu strikes me as the Trevor Linden of USA Hockey. Just a classy, classy lady.

Archived