The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Inconsistent Play

Patrick Jane

it should all be about merit.

Who cares if anyone's feelings get hurt?

Who cares which goaltender gets us the cup, as long as we do?

I say play the goaltender who gives your team the best chance to win - and you would have to be an ABSOLUTE FOOL to think it is Luongo right now.

If Rask was healthy in Boston he would be starting because he was playing way better than Thomas of late and Thomas is in the doghouse with management ever since he refused to go to the White House.

The big difference between the two situations is that Boston doesn't have Thomas locked up longterm so they don't care about the past just about the present.

The only reason Luongo is still starting here is because of his contract. Plain and simple.

Luongo's stats since he came here (coming into this season) are a 2.34 GAA and a save % of .920, and averaging 38 wins a year. those are FAR from "sieve" stats.

His playoff stats are a bit worse at 2.50 GAA and .917 save % but you would think for a team like Vancouver that averages 3 goals that those stats would be more than enough, but they weren't. Why? because the offense dried up in the finals, simple as that. Blame it all on Luongo if you want (yes he does deserve some of it) but he is far from the only reason we didn't win the cup or why the team is struggling right now.

Luongo hasn't been as sharp recently, but he was the only reason they were winning games a few weeks ago. The guys in front of him were terrible defensively then and seem to have gotten even more lazy since then. Turkeys who just heap all the blame on Luongo need to start paying attention to what's happening instead of just looking at boxscores. Seriously, the morons who call Team 1040 and rip Luongo after starting with "I didn't see the game tonight but ..." really piss me off.

The good thing is this is happening now and not during a playoff series. There is enough time for the team to renew their commitment to defence and do more than watch guys skate into the slot and fire pucks at their Luongo or Schneider.

With all the experience Luongo now has in high pressure games, he is better prepared than ever to lead this team in the post-season. With at least one good game in Boston last season, he would already be a Stanley Cup champion. This season I believe he will finish the job and probably take home the Conn Smythe in the process.

How about you look a the freakin score sheet buddy, Lu is the last line of defense, and for "The Best Goalie in The World" and a gold medal under his belt, and a contract so big it could feed all of Haiti.... having a sub .850 save percentage doesnt sit well with me. Neither does the fact that he hasn't let in less than 3 goals in his last 7 starts....

RIDE THE SCHNEIIIIIIID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: ROFL, but so true, I checked and the population is around 10 million. Luongos contract is 65 million. If a Burrito down there is 10 cents?, then thats 650 million Burritos, or 65 Burritos per person over the next 12 years.

When I coached goaltenders, one of the things that I analyzed was the equipment the goalies used and how it affected their games. One think I've noticed is how hard the leg pads of Loungo are and what big rebounds they give. At NHL level, companies custom make your equipment for you. I believe the pads Lou use do not compliment his style and should be softer, so that he can;t kick the rebounds into the slot. Even though he may really like his gear,,,it might not be the best choice for him.

Hard leg pads are good if you can angle them so the puck is directed into the corners, but that seldom happens with LOu. Mike Smith is a master at it.

Clothes make the man and the right gear in nets does also.

When I coached goaltenders, one of the things that I analyzed was the equipment the goalies used and how it affected their games. One think I've noticed is how hard the leg pads of Loungo are and what big rebounds they give. At NHL level, companies custom make your equipment for you. I believe the pads Lou use do not compliment his style and should be softer, so that he can;t kick the rebounds into the slot. Even though he may really like his gear,,,it might not be the best choice for him.

Hard leg pads are good if you can angle them so the puck is directed into the corners, but that seldom happens with LOu. Mike Smith is a master at it.

Clothes make the man and the right gear in nets does also.

Archived