The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Inconsistent Play

Patrick Jane

Jesus...

Vancouver, blame your defence. I know why you all are attacking one person, just because it is easier.

Look at the goals he let in today...one bad rebound and a flop, I say that is 2 goals. the other 3, you just cannot stop. Face it, we had swiss cheese defense today.

Look at the bright side, the offence woke up and Lui is at least admitting he needs to be better.

SUPPORT YOUR TEAM VANCOUVER!

Luongo has played too much this year again. Poor management.

The pattern is this:

1. He starts poorly.

2. He slowly improves until he dominant and one of the best in the league

3. At a certain number of games he wears down. I don't know if it is mental or physical, or a combination of both.

4. His game goes south. He sporadically has great games, but the mileage of th season at this point means he will never be at the top o his form for playoffs.

For years we have seen this. Schneider should have played 40 games this year and Luongo would e in absolute top form right now.

Basically we overplayed him for no reason in Jan and Feb. poor management of the asset.

Luongo started to play better earlier in the season after Schneider played all of those games consecutively. I definitely want to see Luongo succeed but he has been pretty terrible for the past 4 games so make him fight for his ice time. Besides, Schneider is perfectly capable and as of right now, I'm convinced that he gives the Canucks the best chance to win.

In regards to Luongo I have to say I'm not a Luongo hater and I do think he is a slightly better than average goalie in the NHL but the fact is though he has been shaky lately and he is prone to meltdowns .

On the other hand , in Schneider, the Canucks have a better and more steady alternative and they just have to run with him . Schneider has been a rock and yes he may benefit from being well rested but the fact is he is been much better than Luongo in the last little while, for a time they were both hot but now only Schneider is.

Right now I think the Canucks have to go with Schneider in the next game and start him to begin the Playoffs. I would keep Luongo somewhat active down the stretch for two reasons.

1.To see if he can turn his game around.

2. To make sure Schneider doesn't get fatigued heading into the Playoffs since he is not use to a heavy load.

I also would give Luongo some starts in the playoffs especially if it is a longer run because I just don't think Schneider is use to the heavy load the playoffs bring.

So basically I would split the starts 50-50 for the rest of the regular season and anoint Schneider as the starter to begin the Playoffs. I'm not a Luongo hater I just think the Canucks have a better alternative and it is time to screw the politics behind the "starter" tag.

In regards to Luongo I have to say I'm not a Luongo hater and I do think he is a slightly better than average goalie in the NHL but the fact is though he has been shaky lately and he is prone to meltdowns .

On the other hand , in Schneider, the Canucks have a better and more steady alternative and they just have to run with him . Schneider has been a rock and yes he may benefit from being well rested but the fact is he is been much better than Luongo in the last little while, for a time they were both hot but now only Schneider is.

Right now I think the Canucks have to go with Schneider in the next game and start him to begin the Playoffs. I would keep Luongo somewhat active down the stretch for two reasons.

1.To see if he can turn his game around.

2. To make sure Schneider doesn't get fatigued heading into the Playoffs since he is not use to a heavy load.

I also would give Luongo some starts in the playoffs especially if it is a longer run because I just don't think Schneider is use to the heavy load the playoffs bring.

So basically I would split the starts 50-50 for the rest of the regular season and anoint Schneider as the starter to begin the Playoffs. I'm not a Luongo hater I just think the Canucks have a better alternative and it is time to screw the politics behind the "starter" tag.

Jesus...

Vancouver, blame your defence. I know why you all are attacking one person, just because it is easier.

Look at the goals he let in today...one bad rebound and a flop, I say that is 2 goals. the other 3, you just cannot stop. Face it, we had swiss cheese defense today.

Look at the bright side, the offence woke up and Lui is at least admitting he needs to be better.

SUPPORT YOUR TEAM VANCOUVER!

well my opinion, Schneider consistently gives us a .920+ save percentage, yes he makes the odd mistake here and there, but the guy is rarely off. We have a great team and Schneider has already proven he can bail this team out against tough competition (see new jersey, boston,chicago etc..) I don't think he should be given the starting job, but I think its time for his audition. Give him a few games, if he holds onto the reins let him go with it. Feelings aside, we need to win, we want to win. I would put more faith going with Schneider at least you know what you are gonna get.

The best part of all this is the free pass the 'fans' give to Schneider. He's a good goalie & I like him, but he'll never do for this franchise what Luongo has in the last 5 years. We haven't even seen if Schneider can handle a 60 game workload yet, and he's already been labelled the new savior in goal? Sheesh.Thats the problem right now with Lou, everyone did that to him as soon as he got here. Thats the last thing that either we, or Schneider needs. What happens if we trade Luongo & Schneider has a bad stretch? Everyone crucifies Gillis for moving Lou.

I'm getting so sick and tired of the Lou defenders on these boards. You defend Lou no matter what and it's pathetic.

Call a spade a spade. Lou is past his prime and it's painfully obvious. He simply does not have the physical ability or the mental toughness he used to have.

You can't fault the forwards on this loss when they outshoot the opposision 43 - 33... Mike Smith stopped 39 shots and Lou stopped 28. So yes I am willing to say Lou lost the game for the team.

Every time Schneids has been called upon he has answered the bell with an outstanding performance... EVEN when his D hangs him out to dry.

I'm calling it right now, (and feel free to laugh at me if I'm wrong) unless they make a significant use of Schneids in the playoffs, they will not make it out of the second round...

Hell I'd be surprised if they made it out of the first.

PLAY CORY!

The best part of all this is the free pass the 'fans' give to Schneider. He's a good goalie & I like him, but he'll never do for this franchise what Luongo has in the last 5 years. We haven't even seen if Schneider can handle a 60 game workload yet, and he's already been labelled the new savior in goal? Sheesh.Thats the problem right now with Lou, everyone did that to him as soon as he got here. Thats the last thing that either we, or Schneider needs. What happens if we trade Luongo & Schneider has a bad stretch? Everyone crucifies Gillis for moving Lou.

Luongo has played too much this year again.

The pattern is this:

1. He starts poorly.

2. He slowly improves until he dominant and is one of the best in the league

3. At a certain number of games he wears down. I don't know if it is mental or physical, or a combination of both.

4. His game goes south. He sporadically has great games, but the mileage of the season at this point means he will never be at the top of his form for playoffs.

For years we have seen this. Schneider should have played 40 games this year and Luongo would be in absolute top form right now.

Basically we overplayed him for no reason in Jan and Feb. poor management of the asset.

Luongo will be the starter in the playoffs, no matter how badly he plays in the next twelve games. Schneider will NOT be played until Luongo has blown two or three playoff games in a row, and even then, Luongo will be back in the next game, if there is one.

Have we not learned anything from Canucks history in the last twelve years? Canucks management is largely ego-driven, and when they have a lot invested in a goalie, they play him no matter how poorly he's playing. This is the only reason the Canucks don't have a Cup or three. They're the only team I know of who plays a poor-performing goalie in the playoffs just because he's paid more, and refuses to let the other guy have a chance -- because there might be hurt feelings if he outperforms the other.

When Lou got here we did not have a great team and he needed to be needed to be a Vezina finalist on many nights to give that team a chance., and he did that over and over again to be sure during the regular season, but struggled for significant stretches the last 3 years in the playoffs.

Last year Lou had a great regular season and was rewarded with another Vezina nomination and the Canucks lead the league in points by a fairly wide margin, and again in playoffs even in his Vezina nomination season he was terrible in back to back games against Chicago, and one could argue should have been pulled all 4 games we lost against Boston.

The goalies job is to keep his team in it like TT did in all 7 games. In the finals Lou never gave his team a chance by at least slowing the bleeding down when we were wounded, once they scored the floodgates opened again and again and he played no better than any AHL goalie would have been in the finals, and once the games were not close the Bruins and players like Marchant were able to take liberties on the Sedins because If Lou was playing stellar do you think Marchant does that in a 0-0 game?

Cory did start 1 game in last years playoffs and did give the puck away twice which led to goals and was scored on a penalty shot, but after getting hammered the previous 2 games by Chicago( game 4 in a 7-2 loss when Lou let in 6 goals in 2 periods on 28 shots and game 5 we lost 5-0 when Lou was pulled 21 minutes into the game allowing 4 goals on 12 shots)but Cory stopped the bleeding and left in the 3rd with the game tied and gave the team a chance to win.

This current team does not need a Vezina goalie every night, they need a goalie who if he lets in a goal won't meltdown and still give his team a chance. This season in 22 of 26(85%) games Schneider has stopped more than 90% of shots faced,,, This season Lou has stopped more than 90% 27-49(55%). Stats never tell the whole story, but when they are not even close it does to a degree.

2.09 is far better than 2.48 and .932 to .916 is a very big difference.

Very well stated !! We all know Lou is a streaky goalie and Schneids is more consistant. Does anyone wonder why? Its because Lou is not as technicaly sound as Schneids, he relys more on reflex and intuition than solid goaltending fundamentals. In a 30 shot game, a good goalie only needs to make 5-7 really good stops...The rest are long shots, shots from angles and positional play. If you are not great in positional play...those big stop numbers rise and chances for failure rise up with them. Lou is getting caught out of position and lateral movement is a weakness of his. He gets himself into contorsions that leave him very few options...like on his belly. Rebound control losing his stick so often..all point to fundamental problems with him. Until he can address some of these issues he will continue to be streaky and unpredictable with flashes of his past but also games like last night where he never showed up.

The canucks have a very good goalie coach and Melanson had Lou playing at a Vezina level LAST year.. Lou deviated from that form in playoffs and other than a few months of decent goaltending this season,he has not employed those teachings this year. His numbers support this thinking.

Archived