The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Little Love For Cdc

Jonathan Canuck

How many active users do you think there are on the CDC message boards? That's a number I would love to know. It is clear to me that on every thread someone has to post "Why are Canucks fans always like this..." or "Canucks fans are the only team in the league to do -blank-" or anything else along the lines of posters disagreeing about the goaltending situation, the Sedins, Mason Raymond, Keith Ballard's contract, and just about every other thing thats ever worn a Johnny Canuck. I thought to myself, are Canucks fans really the only fans in the league that disagree with each other? Does every other fan base (for the most part) stick together and stand behind their team no matter what? I did some very brief research. For the record, I would never ever join another team's message board and troll, is there anything worse than that?

A few random threads from the Toronto Maple Leafs message boards first page (so, recent, not like I had to dig forever):

- "The Fire Carlyle Bandwagon" REALLY?!

- "Next Year? haha"

- "Today - We are ONLY 2 pts out of a TOP 5 PICK! Will Burke do the right thing?"

- "Can Kessel ever be that guy?"

How about the Calgary Flames message boards?

- "No Trades - New Coach?"

- "Don't Waste the Season"

Even the Edmonton Oilers...

- "Is Renney on the way out?"

Just so everyone is aware, every single team has message boards, except the Coyotes (its just a message thread), where there is hate and anger towards just about every member of the team and staff. My point is that there are thousands of Canucks fans on CDC, if you complain about what "Canucks fans are like" then you have completely missed the point of the message boards. Can you imagine what the boards would be like if everyone loved Lou? If Keith Ballard made $1.5 million?

We all love this team for various reasons, but our end goal is the exact same.

This is not about the team.. but I want to say many Canucks fans on CDC love to make sarcastic smartass comments. Just look at this recently made thread

"Would The Team Benefit From Spreading The Sedin Wealth?"

Someone states that this idea has already been proposed many times. Ok that's fine. Then there's a whole page of people mobbing the OP with sarcastic disrespectful smartass comments about how they're thankful he's not the coach and other crap like this...

"Insert response that makes it seem like I care when topic is already dead horse."

This is not about the team.. but I want to say many Canucks fans on CDC need to stop making sarcastic smartass comments. Just look at this recently made thread

"Would The Team Benefit From Spreading The Sedin Wealth?"

Someone states that this idea has already been proposed many times. Ok that's fine. Then there's a whole page of people mobbing the OP with sarcastic disrespectful smartass comments about how they're thankful he's not the coach and other crap like this...

Canucks fans don't know how to comment without making smartass disrespectful sarcastic comments.

It's hard to carry on any discussion without a mob forming attacking the OP.

OP, if you really want to know, there's a handy link up above the titel of your thread that says 'Members' and it actually tells you there are 3859 pages of members, at 20 members a page. You do the math.

Other than that, we've heard it all before, and this is hardly new and exciting stuff at how a fair number of the populace isn't really all that hockey savvy.

Does every other fan base (for the most part) stick together and stand behind their team no matter what?

Not when their team is losing.

Have only read a few other message boards, and only one compares to CDC when their team is losing....the Blackhawks board, in fact I think both boards have some of the same posters. ;)

Every team has their share of armchair GM's that think they have the answers. The problem here to me is the number that actually look for things to whine about. Some writer said something bad about us. Some analyst criticised one of our players. CBC hates us, the NHL hates us, the refs hate us, eastern bias, stupid Americans, conspiracy theories....it goes on and on with great exageration. You'd think we were a hard done by bottom feeder as opposed to a contender. That's why so many hate Canuck fans.

Every team has their share of armchair GM's that think they have the answers. The problem here to me is the number that actually look for things to whine about. Some writer said something bad about us. Some analyst criticised one of our players. CBC hates us, the NHL hates us, the refs hate us, eastern bias, stupid Americans, conspiracy theories....it goes on and on with great exageration. You'd think we were a hard done by bottom feeder as opposed to a contender. That's why so many hate Canuck fans.

It's just the result of a group of people who care very passionately about something.

But yes, I do agree that the snarky comments seem to be something CDC is quite well-known for. Other message boards don't have the number of snarky one-liner comments that seem to get repeated over and over and over here on CDC.

That's just the way it is.

The only flaw I see in your argument is there is really no need for the amount of bile written on here considering we are talking about a team filled with award winning stars, the winningest ever Canuck Coach, an award winning GM, a team that has got better every year, won the Western Conference and got to game 7 of the SC Final last year and only failed ultimately through horrendous injury problems.

Add to that the amount of outstanding work these players and this organisation do in and for the Community and I have only one statement to make regarding CDC and their constant whining, disrespect, and never-ending attacks on players, coaches and the very organisation itself.

"ARE YOU NOT ASHAMED?"

For the most part I think people post that stuff cos they care and because when there's no game on, the Canucks are a big part of their lives and they like to discuss "all things Canuck, all the time" and I totally get that. I read these boards constantly when I'm not busy because I get so little hockey elsewhere (i.e. ZERO media coverage here in Australia). I only ever post when I have something to say (or possibly after a few drinks coupled with boredom)....but as you can tell, that's only happened 38 times in two and a bit years since joining. Some people just can't help themselves, they want to voice their opinions and they do love the sound of their own voices! I quite enjoy reading most peoples opinions and occassionally laugh at the idiots but it all stems from one thing....passion and love for the greatest hockey team ever. And I'm ok with that.

p.s. As for people hating Canucks fans, we're kidding ourselves if we actually think they care. They don't. They hate the team so they rag on the fans....I occassionally do the same......to Bruins & Hawks fans mostly but only to my immediate family. I tend to hate in confined spaces.

p.p.s. Despite all that, I actually giggled at your sig :)

Archived