The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers' Forward Avery Retiring?

Rangers' forward Avery retiring?:

Is Sean Avery done with hockey?

The controversial forward told a live viewing audience during the online "After Show" segment of Bravo TV's "Watch What Happens Live", that he was calling it quits.

Avery's announcement came after the show's host, Andy Cohen, posed a viewer question to him regarding his future.

"Sean, what are your thoughts about your hockey future?" Cohen asked Avery.

The 31-year-old Avery lounged back in his chair and said: "I am officially retired; I threw my skates in the Hudson [River]."

If true, the announcement would close out a tumultuous final season for Avery spent with the New York Rangers and their American Hockey League affiliate, the Connecticut Whale. After being waived by the Rangers earlier this season, Avery was assigned to the Whale before re-joining New York on Nov. 5. In 15 games with the Rangers this season, Avery scored 3 goals and registered 21 penalty minutes. As a member of the Whale he scored 2 goals and had 1 assist to go with 39 PIMs in seven games, though he was also a healthy scratch for several games with the team.

Avery last played for the Whale on Jan. 27 and was not on the team's clear-day roster, making him ineligible for the AHL postseason. He has been told he no longer needs to report to the team.

In 580 games across parts of 10 seasons with New York, Dallas, Los Angeles and Detroit, Avery has 90 goals and 157 assists to go with 1,533 PIMs. His most productive season came in 2006-07 when he totaled 18 goals, 48 points and 174 penalty minutes in 84 games split between the Kings and Rangers.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=622020

Well, I think we can all say he will have his number retired for sure by the Rangers. The hockey community will miss his class, sportsmanship, and dedication to the sport. Hopefully he will find a new way to remain involved with the NHL, perhaps as a coach, executive, or TV analyst.

J/K

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I guess one thing i'll say though is that the rangers organization hasn't exactly treated him with class recently. i mean come on the rangers were pretty average for the past few years and avery, despite his outbursts, was a major factor that was keeping them in games and keeping fans in the building. now they're dismissing him like an old sock, not even letting them play in the AHL?

it's obvious he's past his NHL prime, but jeez, waiving him FOUR DAYS before the winter classic? like they couldn't let him sit in a press box or something?

i'm not a fan of his, but considering what he's put in for that organization, i think he deserves better.

another thing is that i was pleasantly surprised by his open support for gay marriage. takes some serious cojones to put yourself out there like that in a sport like hockey, where you know you're going to get a lot of flak for standing up for something like that. good on him

Archived