The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond Promoted To First Line With The Sedins

alt kilgore

Jason Botchford (@botchford) via Twitter:

"Mason raymond with twins makes that the 2nd line. If that's not a wakeup, not sure what would be."

What baffles me more than people complaining about experimenting here is the people who want to split up the AmEx line. That line is clearly playing the best right now, which makes them the first line. We have 13 games here to really figure things out. If in game 1 of round 1 we are still out of sync and MayRay is a 1st liner, then I would think about it.

To the people chanting "Fire AV" (although somewhat jokingly) what else would you suggest? I mean, the other option is to let them stay in a funk together. They have had plenty of time to play their way out of it. A few years ago when Burrows was put with the Twins everyone thought they were crazy. Look where we are now. I am not saying that Raymond-Twins is the new best line in hockey, but all I'm saying is they need to try something, why not this.

Maybe Raymond is with the Sedins because they are all going to be benched. The twins could use a good benching. I'm tired of players not getting punished for their lack of good play. Ice time is earned not given to, if you aren't playing well you shouldn't be playing more than someone who is playing well. Higgins deserves 25 minutes a night the way he's playing

AV has lost his marbles

Sometimes it seems like he purposely does the OPPOSITE of what fans and hockey pundits think he should, just for spite.

Raymond with the Sedins and Burrows with Paulson and Hansen on the third line in practice today. Maybe AV is just trying to scare everyone including the team. If he actually believes Raymond either deserves the promotion or actually is a better fit than Burrows then he has officially lost his marbles.

I do agree that its a good time to experiment going into the playoffs. Try out different combinations just in case of injury or to give the other team a different look. Try Kassian on the first again, or Higgins. Split the Sedins. A lot of options out there but this is the one AV chooses? Put the softest, unstable, snake-bitten, confidence-shaken perimeter player and throw him on the top line. One that doesn't go to the net, or if he is forced to will not feel comfortable doing it. Raymond has dragged down every line he plays on. So happy they took him off the second line, Kesler's play immediately went up a notch.

I am getting sick of AV's "hunch" management style, along with his rose coloured glasses for certain players while others skate on thin ice where one mistake gets them in the doghouse and no player ever really ever leaves that wet dog smell behind even after they come out. Gillis knew Hodgson would never be accepted by AV no matter how well he did so he was another casualty.

edit: source 1040

OP

"Sometimes it seems like he purposely does the OPPOSITE of what fans and hockey pundits think he should, just for spite."

Really?...........You think?.........man.... nothing would make me happier if that were true. The people on here are like me. They no sod all about hockey, coaching hockey, scouting or what end of a hockey stick is up! :emot-parrot:

I don't see why AV can't seperate the twins when they're struggling like now. I see no harm to it. Maybe it might even get them going. What I like to see is this

D. Sedin - Kesler - Booth

Kassian - H. Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Pahlsson - Raymond

Malhotra - Lappiere - Hansen

I hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah maybe that's AV's intent here.

But if AV insists on giving that line first line minutes, then it's simply a reward to Mayray for playing like crap. I'm sure that will motivate the team.

Typical CDC. (too bad IE doesn't support emoticons on CDC, this is a perfect spot for "rolleyes")

Everything doesn't have to be about "rewarding" or "punishing" a certain player or players. Sometimes calculated gambles are taken in an effort to get a struggling player (or players) game going..

AV knows that Raymond can be better. He's seen it in the past and he'd like to see it again. It's not like the twins are lighting it up with Burrows right now, so why not give it a shot? I seriously doubt it could be any worse than what we saw on Saturday night...

If it pans out something like this:

7-17-20: 20 mins

22-33-21: 15 mins *

14-26-36: 15 mins *

27-40-9: 10 mins

it makes some degree of sense in a game that won't mean a whole lot as far as playoff positioning goes.

* * I'm assuming we'll have more pk time than pp time.

OP

"Sometimes it seems like he purposely does the OPPOSITE of what fans and hockey pundits think he should, just for spite."

Really?...........You think?.........man.... nothing would make me happier if that were true. The people on here are like me. They no sod all about hockey, coaching hockey, scouting or what end of a hockey stick is up! :emot-parrot:

You people really need to try and see a difference between what you think is punishment and what really is motivation.

Why would a team "punish" the two reigning Art Ross trophy winners. AV is trying to Motivate these guys anyway he can. If these two are at the top of their game in the Playoffs (which you can argue that they have never been) this team will be unbeatable.

Sure in the past 8 or so games AV has limited their ice time, but this is not because he is "punishing" them, but rather the AMEX line has beeen more effective on the ice than they've been.

I'm not saying AV should coddle the twins, because that is not an effective form of motivation.

And for Chri$t sakes ppl - Leave MayRay alone. He broke his freaking back for his team, and for us in a way, to try and win a Stanley Cup. Players are, and should, not be jusdged simply on their offensive output. MayRay is a very gifted speedy defensive forward. Just because he's not meeting everyones, somewhat/unrealisticly, high expectations doesn't mean we can call him lousy. He was drafted 51st overall in '05. He's probably better than 50% of the 50 players that were drafted in front of him. That was the year Crosby, Ryan, RIP Luc, and Kopitar was drafted......... i.e. Brule drafted 5th overall.

I'm just saying I am always positive with regards to this team. Gawd knows there has been lots of negatives for the past 41 years that have been out of my/our control!

Yeah, might as well try it. Nothing else is working for those three right now. I highly, highly, highly doubt you will see this line going into the playoffs unless they magically tear it up. Those three would get knocked around and pushed off the puck constantly

Archived