The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond Promoted To First Line With The Sedins

alt kilgore

I think it would be a big mistake, I rather would see Kassian teaming up with the Sedins to have a strong guy to help them play their game again, because in my opinion Burrows failed to do that for a long time.

I always thought Raymond was overrated, a nice 3rd/4rd liner but nothing more than that, he is not a big goal scorer, not the big fighter and not a genius play maker. I honestly thought for the last 3 seasons we missed a guy like Bertuzzi, and people probably will cry about the whole Bertuzzi incident, but before that everyone was cheering for Bertuzzi.

I don't want to put the pressure on Kassian and compare him too much with Bertuzzi, because there can be only one Bertuzzi, however it would be damn nice to have a guy like bertuzzi in his great days playing with the Sedin.

Probably AV is just playing around, and seeing what possibilities he has in the playoffs when players get injured, however considering how we are playing for the last few games, I think it would be better to start building on solid lines, and preparing for the playoffs.

Last year everyone (generalization) was complaining that AV didn't have a change up to mix up oppositions shut down d-pairings. This is a good Idea to experiment with different line ups.........durring the regular season. Not wait till the play-offs. Personally I wish when we were in those defensive type series that he would just spread the depth to all four lines and roll 4 lines, as a change up.

Higgins and the Sedins makes sense - AV has said Higgins is this team's spark plug and makes everyone he plays with better, so why not try and spark the twins with Higgins.

Booth and the Sedins make sense - Booth is our grittiest powerforward and takes the puck to the net the best of any of our forwards which is exactly what the Sedins lack, so would fill that void.

Kassian and the Sedins make sense - Kassian is a big body, plays gritty and will protect the twins when he's on the ice but can also drive hard to the net which is what the Sedins don't do.

AV basically could have done anything except for put Raymond on their line. Raymond is the epitomy of what the twins don't need, but who knows, maybe playing with the Sedins will make Raymond play tougher in the crease and will work out for both of them.

Uh no....I said AV will have wasted this window of time to experiment with more sane mixups going into the playoffs. How could I not believe that Raymond may have a better night if playing with the Sedins? as I said it worked for others. What I said was that IMO it wouldn't work long term thus AV is wasting this time and could have been using this window to be trying out an even better alt combination.

I'd like to see Bitz up here if he is healthy and play again on the first. Try that out again. I think Kassian is still a little wet around the ears and doesn't seem mature enough and/or adjusted enough to play that role on an ongoing basis yet. Maybe next year. If AV does want to experiment I'd like to see on offense:

Sedin Sedin Bitz

Higgins Getzlaf Booth

Hansen Pahlsson Burrows

Kassian Lapierre Malhotra

Raymond: pine

Higgins and the Sedins makes sense - AV has said Higgins is this team's spark plug and makes everyone he plays with better, so why not try and spark the twins with Higgins.

Booth and the Sedins make sense - Booth is our grittiest powerforward and takes the puck to the net the best of any of our forwards which is exactly what the Sedins lack, so would fill that void.

Kassian and the Sedins make sense - Kassian is a big body, plays gritty and will protect the twins when he's on the ice but can also drive hard to the net which is what the Sedins don't do.

AV basically could have done anything except for put Raymond on their line. Raymond is the epitomy of what the twins don't need, but who knows, maybe playing with the Sedins will make Raymond play tougher in the crease and will work out for both of them.

A guaranteed failure even before the puck is dropped and an absolute waste of time. Kassian, Bitz or Higgins should be tried on the top lines, not the turnover king Raymond. The Sedins won't even have the puck this time, let alone score points. This is the best way to push the Sedins to a deeper slump. I always say AV is an AHL coach, the Canucks only hope will be next season when AV is replaced by MacTavish.

Well, it's been tried before with Raymond and the Sedins. And how successfully did it turn out in the past for you, Coach AV ? If it was so successful in the past, then why didn't it last for more than a game or two, Coach AV ? Yeah, it was so successful, that you want to try it again ? Why are you beating a dead horse to death, Coach AV ? Do you think that dead horse will come back to life if you repeat the same mistake over and over again, Coach AV ? Total failure on your part.

Burrows is also usually ahead of the Sedins going in so I don't see the difference there. But Burrows also has a better hockey sense, goes to the net, and stays on his feet.

I think the Sedins are talented enough to make any linemate look like a worldbeater (ie. Carter) if they want to. What I fear is that if this is the game that the Sedins decide to play better and pot a couple of goals and Raymond gets in on them, AV will puff his chest out, laugh at the press scrum, and decide he's a genuis and keep Raymond on the first....which will only eventually bring down the Sedin line as Raymond has done to every other line he has been on. And so it will mean that AV has wasted this window of time to experiment with more sane mixups going into the playoffs.

Archived