The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond Promoted To First Line With The Sedins

alt kilgore

AV has lost his marbles

Sometimes it seems like he purposely does the OPPOSITE of what fans and hockey pundits think he should, just for spite.

Raymond with the Sedins and Burrows with Paulson and Hansen on the third line in practice today. Maybe AV is just trying to scare everyone including the team. If he actually believes Raymond either deserves the promotion or actually is a better fit than Burrows then he has officially lost his marbles.

I do agree that its a good time to experiment going into the playoffs. Try out different combinations just in case of injury or to give the other team a different look. Try Kassian on the first again, or Higgins. Split the Sedins. A lot of options out there but this is the one AV chooses? Put the softest, unstable, snake-bitten, confidence-shaken perimeter player and throw him on the top line. One that doesn't go to the net, or if he is forced to will not feel comfortable doing it. Raymond has dragged down every line he plays on. So happy they took him off the second line, Kesler's play immediately went up a notch.

I am getting sick of AV's "hunch" management style, along with his rose coloured glasses for certain players while others skate on thin ice where one mistake gets them in the doghouse and no player ever really ever leaves that wet dog smell behind even after they come out. Gillis knew Hodgson would never be accepted by AV no matter how well he did so he was another casualty.

edit: source 1040

While I hate the idea of Raymond on the first, let's see if that holds up until tomorrow. He may just be trying it for practice today, and going with something different tomorrow. At least I hope so. If not we're going to see a lot pasing the puck around on the perimeter leading to turnovers the other way, while generating no shots at all, or low percentage shots from ridiculous outside angles.

I don't see why AV can't seperate the twins when they're struggling like now. I see no harm to it. Maybe it might even get them going. What I like to see is this

D. Sedin - Kesler - Booth

Kassian - H. Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Pahlsson - Raymond

Malhotra - Lappiere - Hansen

From the other thread:

In fairness, during the two occasions that Daniel has been out of the lineup, Raymond actually produced well with Hank. I remember when Daniel injured his foot a couple seasons ago, AV put together the Raymond - H. Sedin - Burrows line and they produced nicely. Then, during the one game this year that Daniel was out, AV put that line together again and each player had a 2 point night.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm all jacked for Raymond on the 1st line, but at the same time he's proven to put up numbers playing with Hank so I'm not going to worry about it either. Like someone said above, what can you do when the Sedins themselves aren't producing? They're elite players, they've gotta produce with whoever is on their line.

I don't see why AV can't seperate the twins when they're struggling like now. I see no harm to it. Maybe it might even get them going. What I like to see is this

D. Sedin - Kesler - Booth

Kassian - H. Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Pahlsson - Raymond

Malhotra - Lappiere - Hansen

I posted in the Practice Thread as well:

I hope MayRay and the Twins rock it out.

The twins are slumping at the right time IMO - They'll "hopefully" turn it around come playoffs!!

MayRay is actually one of the best defensive forwards on our team. Maybe he can cause turnovers, like he has been doing all season, and feel forced to pass it to his linemates "the Twins". This could be a really good line!

Glass half full!

The reason why Raymond-Hank-Burrows worked is because they had a guy that could cycle and go to the net. The reason Daniel-Henrik-Raymond won't work is because while Raymond could cycle he will most likely keep the puck to himself, shoot from stupid angles and not go to the net or the dirty areas.

Archived