Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Raymond Promoted To First Line With The Sedins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
286 replies to this topic

#271 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Raymond with the twins is brilliant IMO. 8 games without scoring by the twins and what better way to make them play better than give them the player struggling just as much. When Burr comes back they will be that much better for it.

Scotty Bowman used to do the very things that AV is finally doing. Regular seasons for teams like the Canucks (or Wings) can be mentally draining. The best way to refresh this is by making players adapt and change their games with different players then put them back with their best matches in time to go into playoff mode. (remember how often Hank would shoot when he had no Daniel)

AV is adapting and this is encouraging IMO. Now if Luongo gets vented for 3 or 4 goals in a game me thinks he'll probably not ask Roberto if he want's to keep playing.

As for Raymond he has become an enigma because he is a skill player playing without offensive confidence. Other than great defensive acumen he brings very little intangibles to the team right now. If AV can get his game back he could be a nice depth player come playoff time. Would it not be smarter to judge him after an offseason of training and packing on muscle.

Have the struggles of Bieksa, Salo, Malhotra, Kesler, Booth (in florida) not taught us of how hard it is for players to come back physically and most of all mentally from serious injuries.

#272 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Raymond with the twins is brilliant IMO. 8 games without scoring by the twins and what better way to make them play better than give them the player struggling just as much. When Burr comes back they will be that much better for it.

Scotty Bowman used to do the very things that AV is finally doing. Regular seasons for teams like the Canucks (or Wings) can be mentally draining. The best way to refresh this is by making players adapt and change their games with different players then put them back with their best matches in time to go into playoff mode. (remember how often Hank would shoot when he had no Daniel)

AV is adapting and this is encouraging IMO. Now if Luongo gets vented for 3 or 4 goals in a game me thinks he'll probably not ask Roberto if he want's to keep playing.

As for Raymond he has become an enigma because he is a skill player playing without offensive confidence. Other than great defensive acumen he brings very little intangibles to the team right now. If AV can get his game back he could be a nice depth player come playoff time. Would it not be smarter to judge him after an offseason of training and packing on muscle.

Have the struggles of Bieksa, Salo, Malhotra, Kesler, Booth (in florida) not taught us of how hard it is for players to come back physically and most of all mentally from serious injuries.

Brilliant.
Furthermore, has everyone forgotten that Raymond is coming back from having broken his spine?
I challenge anyone to find any professional athlete who hasn't struggled at least this much after a spinal injury, if they were even lucky enough to ever play again.
Raymond has the skill. There is no question about that. What he may not have is enough time to have rehabilitated to the extent that he could have. It's too early to tell if he will fully recover from his injury, but the fact that he can contribute to any degree is nothing short of impressive. Let's not forget that immediately upon his return to the ice he was back to scoring goals and putting up helpers for a short while at an alarming rate. He has those same skills, he just hasn't been very lucky.
In the mean time, let's have some outrageously unrealistic expectations of him and talk about trading him, cutting him, and putting him in the pressbox indefinitely. That is bound to improve his game and give him some solid numbers.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#273 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

The point many have tried to make is how in any way will Mason help the Sedins bump their slump. Working great so far isn't it. To not appear as I am using Raymond as a whipping boy as others have accused anyone who speaks out against Raymond and to not continually be labelled "arrogant" and "stupid" by posters such as RUPERTKBD I will quietly observe Raymond over the next few games with the Sedins and reserve comment - allowing this so called experiment time to work.

Then let's revisit this thread with the far more knowledgable posters such as Rupert and Baggins who can defend his play if it fails or revel in his success on the first line.

Before trying Burrows with the Sedins, how in any way would you assume his game would fit with theirs?
The fact is, as much as line matching and chemistry involves knowing your players' skillsets, it also involves luck. Who would have thought Carter would be a good fit with the twins until it was actually tried out?
The point is, it is better to try Raymond with the twins and find that there is no chemistry this time than it is to not try him and never know. They have played well together in the past. It is more than likely they will play well together again, even if it's not this go round.
You don't know they won't light it up. You have no idea. It is possible they will mesh very well, based on the fact that they have done so together in the past.
But, yeah. Let's just assume they won't work well together and move on. It is not worth it to try things out, because we can always assume things will never work. That is the mark of a true champion - someone who will never try new things.

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#274 gumshoe242

gumshoe242

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Raymond should be in the press box, and Kassian should be on the Sedins' line. They need a big tough winger to make some room for them. And as for Mason... I just don't know... he's a waste of ice time right now.

#275 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Brilliant.
Furthermore, has everyone forgotten that Raymond is coming back from having broken his spine?
I challenge anyone to find any professional athlete who hasn't struggled at least this much after a spinal injury, if they were even lucky enough to ever play again.
Raymond has the skill. There is no question about that. What he may not have is enough time to have rehabilitated to the extent that he could have. It's too early to tell if he will fully recover from his injury, but the fact that he can contribute to any degree is nothing short of impressive. Let's not forget that immediately upon his return to the ice he was back to scoring goals and putting up helpers for a short while at an alarming rate. He has those same skills, he just hasn't been very lucky.
In the mean time, let's have some outrageously unrealistic expectations of him and talk about trading him, cutting him, and putting him in the pressbox indefinitely. That is bound to improve his game and give him some solid numbers.

He's been playing piss poor even before his injury.

I'm sick watching the offense die on his stick.
I'm sick of him falling over more times in a game than a regular player would in a season
I'm sick of watching him skate like lightning past defenders only to shoot the puck wide or attempt some retarded wrap-around
I'm sick of him getting quality line minutes when someone else should be.
I'm sick him skating around aimlessly in the offensive-zone.
I'm sick of him stopping at the half-boards and either spins around and falls or gets crunched into the boards.

/rant
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#276 We Broke The Cup

We Broke The Cup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

If playing with the Sedins will help Raymond play like he did upon returning from injury that would be great.

#277 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Can someone explain to me again why we didn't sign Zherdev for 500k? 3 line powerhouse offense. Who would say no to that?

Could have been:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Lappy-Zherdev
Hanson-Malhotra-Kassian

Edited by CHIPS, 16 March 2012 - 06:02 PM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#278 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

If recovery from injury is still affecting Raymond's play, he should be on the 3rd, 4th line or in the press box. Moron AV right now is using the topline as a REHAB line for a subpar player who is not a top six forward material and this is not going to win you a Cup. AV has only 12 games to try out a plan B if the top line of twins and Burrows got shut down again in a series like last year and I think it is Bitz and Kassian who should be given the chance. But forget about it as AV the AHL coach still has not yet figured out who should be on the 4th line after so many years and he will be fired with an early exit.

#279 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

I'm sick of him falling over more times in a game than a regular player would in a season
I'm sick of watching him skate like lightning past defenders only to shoot the puck wide or attempt some retarded wrap-around
I'm sick of him stopping at the half-boards and either spins around and falls or gets crunched into the boards.

/rant

You're ONE SICK PUPPY.......
Kevin.jpg

#280 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

AV shoulders most of the blame of why the fanbase is so sick of Raymond. Play him on the third line tops where he belongs and hardly anyone would have a problem with him.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#281 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Can someone explain to me again why we didn't sign Zherdev for 500k? 3 line powerhouse offense. Who would say no to that?

Could have been:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Lappy-Zherdev
Hanson-Malhotra-Kassian

Because Zherdev is horrible defensively

#282 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Raymond should be in the press box, and Kassian should be on the Sedins' line. They need a big tough winger to make some room for them. And as for Mason... I just don't know... he's a waste of ice time right now.

I agree Raymond seems like the worst fit with the sedins based on his style of play and probably would benefit from a few games in the pressbox.......Do you not think the line is more of an indicator of the Sedins horrible play as of late an attempt to get them playing their best when the playoffs start??

Piling on Raymond is just too easy. It's not like Malhotra, Kassian, Pahlsson, Weise, Lapierre and the Sedins have been tearing it up either and Mason does kill penalties and is great defensively. Even the Honey Badger and Higgins have gone stretches this year of being invisible or ineffective.

#283 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

/rant

THANK-YOU SIR!

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#284 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Can we please have Burr back on the first line?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#285 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Wish granted my son

#286 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Brilliant. That worked out smashingly. Thank god that plug Raymond sat on his butt while Burr came to save the day.

No, but really. Raymond is not the problem, but go ahead and keep pinning it all in him.

Ru Paul 2012

#287 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Brilliant. That worked out smashingly. Thank god that plug Raymond sat on his butt while Burr came to save the day.

No, but really. Raymond is not the problem, but go ahead and keep pinning it all in him.

Ru Paul 2012

Weren't you watching V? Raymond did absolutely nothing out there last night.

It was like he wasn't even on the ice....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.