The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Complete Guide To Cory Schneider's Upcoming Restricted Free Agency

Guest AriGold

Great post to help all understand RFA and the hidden land mines (from the owner side) that come with not taking full advantage of an asset that you drafted and developed...the objective of the player's side of the CBA is that this won't happen...you can't draft high talent then bury them in the minors nor give them a shot at playing full time somewhere.

That being said, we are pretty screwed with this deal due to Lui's contract. Typically you want to overlap contracts so that as one talent is developing, one is strong. Then as the latter talent is fading, the younger talent pulls up strong. Problems arise when one or both of these scenarios don't quite overlap, as in this case. Had Schneider been drafted by us 2 years later than he was, then Lui would be moved easily 2 years from now and Cory could step in.

The main problem with the OP's scenarios for the Canucks is this: if we trade Cory at the draft we are only trading the same issues as mentioned to a different team. So if you were a GM desperately needing Cory's services, do you trade for his negotiating rights (and assume all the same risks as noted above) or do you wait and see who gets his rights and hopefully sign him to an offer sheet anyways without having to give up much (just picks). A bit of a chess match could be sizing up come Draft Day 2012!!

As for Cory being moved for picks (in any year), all we have done is move a developed 1st RD pick for another unknown and the cycle starts again. If anyone on here thinks we should trade for the 1st O/A this year I say NO WAY! This is not a good year. Yakupov is NOT the second coming of Bure...he is just media hype (see Yashin and Daigle). He is a hamburger at a weenie roast...he is NOT a sirloin steak. This is typical BS that goes down in a weak draft year, the pretty girl syndrome (a "playah" will go for the prettiest girl in the room even if all the girls are ugoes, in another room with actually pretty girls she would be the ugoe and wouldn't even get a look). I'm not saying that Yakupov is a terrible player, nor that this is a bad draft, it's just not as good as it is being made out to be. To trade Cory for a pick this year could turn out to be a trade down for us.

There's no point in trading down for Cory. If we are not going to trade to actually IMPROVE the team then we are stuck with signing him. And my proposal is this: that might not actually be a bad idea. Sign Cory and trade off Lui. Get a strong backup with future potential and we may actually have a better overlap situation (as I described above). If Cory stumbles, the backup is there, and vice-versa (as it should be). One example might be Lui and Ballard (plus whatever else) to LA for Bernier and Greene (right shot DMan). LA could then move Lui for a a high piece they feel is valuable, they would definitely get good value for this trade. We get a goalie tandem of Schneider and Bernier, and a right point shot. Just an example, but something along these lines would work for all.

"Yes, there's a chance that Cory Schneider could take up the starters mantle in the postseason for the Canucks; but with Roberto Luongo's immovable contract on the books through the return of Christ, it remains very likely that Schneider will begin next season wearing colours other than Canucks blue."

This made me laugh so hard. It really feels like that long, doesn't it?

I love Lu, defend him etc, but to be honest, I'm not sure what the right answer is here. I think the playoffs will tell us a lot this year, especially if the Canucks go deep again. If they don't win it all and there are more blowouts (granted, can't win if you don't score like last year) there could be another (possibly justified) push to move Lu and keep Schneids.

I'm glad that I don't have to make the decisions. ::D

We always knew with Luongos' sucky contract that Cory was only a temporary luxury . That's why they HAVE to win it all this year, so that if Belly Flop Bobbie chokes, Cory can save the day and motivate the team. You know Lou's on a real short leash in the playoffs !

I'm not necessarily in the box on the idea that $8 million is too much to spend on goaltending, at least not for the short run.

I would prefer a pre-emptive signing if Schneider would agree to it - and offer him market value for another year or two.

The thing is even if he were moved, another average quality backup is going to cost nearly a million cap hit - spending $6 million+ on Luongo and whoever, vs spending $8+ on Luo and Schneids - I would opt for the latter. Unless Lack is NHL ready, I would try to re-sign Schneider at the nearest convenience. That would not handcuff the Canucks or force their hand.

After all, we have a $4+ million defensemen in our third pairing, a $2.5 million center on our fourth line, etc.- I don't see an extra $2 million committed to a guy who could play 30-40 games as unreasonable. For me, the only thing that would stop me from thinking/acting outside the box on this is if Schneider is simply unwilliing to re-sign and stay here. I would offer him a contract long before the draft - if he signs, the Canucks would still be free to move him if they saw fit, or if he wasn't satisfied with his role and wanted to go elsewhere. Let the tandem/competition continue until the best solution for the Canucks emerges... That in my mind would be a best case scenario - and would put the Canucks in a very good position of strength moving forward. If Schneider was willing to do that for the team, and re-sign, I would give him the assurance that if Luongo maintains a strong-hold on the majority of starts, he is free to discreetly request a trade and would be accommodated.

I'm not necessarily in the box on the idea that $8 million is too much to spend on goaltending, at least not for the short run.

I would prefer a pre-emptive signing if Schneider would agree to it - and offer him market value for another year or two.

The thing is even if he were moved, another average quality backup is going to cost nearly a million cap hit - spending $6 million+ on Luongo and whoever, vs spending $8+ on Luo and Schneids - I would opt for the latter. Unless Lack is NHL ready, I would try to re-sign Schneider at the nearest convenience. That would not handcuff the Canucks or force their hand.

After all, we have a $4+ million defensemen in our third pairing, a $2.5 million center on our fourth line, etc.- I don't see an extra $2 million committed to a guy who could play 30-40 games as unreasonable. For me, the only thing that would stop me from thinking/acting outside the box on this is if Schneider is simply unwilliing to re-sign and stay here. I would offer him a contract long before the draft - if he signs, the Canucks would still be free to move him if they saw fit, or if he wasn't satisfied with his role and wanted to go elsewhere. That in my mind would be a best case scenario - and would put the Canucks in a very good position of strength moving forward. If Schneider was willing to do that for the team, and re-sign, I would give him the assurance that if Luongo maintains a strong-hold on the majority of starts, he is free to discreetly request a trade and would be accommodated.

Interesting POV. Here a question for you, if the NHL comes out with a one time clause which allows every team one contract to buy out. Would you use it on Luongo's contract knowing that there will not be any asset coming back for him? If your answer is yes, then would you consider burying his contract in the minors after this year and promote Schneider to the starting goaltender's position next year?

So if you are Cory Schneider and want to be a starting goalie in the NHL you would just say to MG "no probs Mike I'll sign for 2.5 even though I know the day after the draft I'll have a starting job somewhere at 3.5mil+". ??? Not too likely. I've heard of the hometown discount but that's a pretty steep price for Cory to pay just cause he likes MG.

While this is a great read, I think it is important to note one thing. There are two teams, and likely a few others, that I believe Lou would waive his no movement clause should this post season bring a meltdown. Tampa and Florida are both close to their home in FLA and Lui may love Tampa and playing for Stevie Y.

Other than that, it was a spot on write up.

First - I said market value - I would not low-ball him or ask him to take a discount because he "likes MG."

Second - he would have the opportunity of winning/emerging as the starter on a Cup contender.

Third - he would also have the option of moving to another team and being a starter if he wanted to - all he'd have to do is invoke the 'Cody clause.'

First - I said market value - I would not low-ball him or ask him to take a discount because he "likes MG."

Second - he would have the opportunity of winning/emerging as the starter on a Cup contender.

Third - he would also have the option of moving to another team and being a starter if he wanted to - all he'd have to do is invoke the 'Cody clause.'

Not to mention the fact that no one but Schneider really knows what he wants. Perhaps he loves Vancouver - perhaps he feels confident he can win the starting role. Perhaps not , but maybe that looks better than going to Columbus or wherever. Regardless - there is the possibility of a give and take - where both sides are better served - Schneider can get what he wants either way, and both sides could have the flexibility not to have a draft day deadline determining what they decide to do. Who knows - the playoffs may fundamentally change the nature of these questions anyway.

While I agree that $8.88m would not be too, too much to have locked into goaltending (especially under a $69.3m - $72.3m cap ceiling as has been rumoured) since Nashville has $7m tied up in Rinne alone, people that are advocating Schneider be thrown to the wolves and given the #1 duties after jettisoning Luongo out the door need to realize something:

Schneider has never had a workload that demands starting games every other night. He only played weekends for three years at Boston College and then in the AHL it was once again a weekend heavy schedule with the odd weekday game. This is a concern for a starting netminder that has serious issues with hydration (he is on record as saying he has to really start hydrating the day before starts) and muscle cramping. That unknown is a big gamble, since there is no guarantee that he can stay healthy enough to carry a team to a playoff berth (Luongo has proven capable of making the playoffs with that heavy of a workload), especially for a team with Cup aspirations.

Interesting POV. Here a question for you, if the NHL comes out with a one time clause which allows every team one contract to buy out. Would you use it on Luongo's contract knowing that there will not be any asset coming back for him? If your answer is yes, then would you consider burying his contract in the minors after this year and promote Schneider to the starting goaltender's position next year?

Archived