The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Complete Guide To Cory Schneider's Upcoming Restricted Free Agency

Guest AriGold

It is a very real possibility that Lui is going and Cory is staying for the following reason:

Why is Cory still here?

Cory's maximum return value was if we moved him to a team that needed him ASAP in return for another high prospect (ie/ to Ottawa with Ballard for Cowen and Auld) on TD Day last month. MG didn't move him...we ALL know why. So if Lui is prone to pressure game meltdowns, but Cory comes off the bench cool a cuke, why start (or even keep) Lui?

Just a thought.

Nice article, I enjoyed it. I don't buy the idea that if MG ever decided to trade Lou, he'd have trouble due to the contract. I have absolutely no doubts that Loungo is an elite goaltender in this league signed to a below average cap hit contract. From an owner perspective, several of the "big 10 million dollar" years are off the contract, making it more attractive from a business stand point as well.

If Loungo ever came onto the market there'd be 25 teams kicking the tires rather than the 5-10 teams that are checking to see about Schneider. And you can bet your bottom dollar the offers for Luongo would be significantly more lucrative. :)

But I definitely enjoyed the article, very thorough from the objective side of things, and gave me a clearer idea on how this chapter of the offseason could play-out.

Cheers,

Ramone

How does having a nearly ready Eddie Lack upset the balance?

# Goalies GP Mins W L SOL SO GA GAA SVS SV% 31 Eddie Lack 37 2182:31 17 16 3 3 83 2.28 1060 0.927 33 Matt Climie 26 1482:23 16 9 0 0 64 2.59 745 0.921 TOTALS 61 3690:23 33 25 3 3 153 2.49 1805 0.922

The way he is performing and given his huge size he may be able to do "Schneider shifts" next season or more realistically the season after that.

Another factor which could unhinge most of the acceptable assumptions is if Lu was to blow up big time in the playoffs. I hope not but it is a possibility.

If that were to happen Schneider would have to feel that he was the obvious guy to succeed, Lu's contract notwithstanding.

I supported Lu all last close season and the beginning of this season and he pulled his game round but I don't see the flaky Vancouver fans being prepared to accept another net minding failure.

After all things got pretty nasty and frankly embarrassing after his SC troubles and later at the start of this season.

can anyone think up any packages that would involve a young solid prospect coming over here+ a high draft pick?

Ryan Johansen+LA's pick from columbus is the first package that comes to mind.

I wouldnt touch Brett Conolly from TBL with a 10 foot pole for various reasons...

It's really quite simple for Gillis.

If Luongo plays well in the playoffs, Schneider gets dealt BEFORE the draft.

If Luongo falters and the Canucks are eliminated from the playoffs early, Luongo will be dealt. 5M cap hit is very reasonable for a goalie like Luongo with the cap rising every year, he's an absolute BEAST in the regular season, and there are tons of teams (Columbus, Phoenix, NYI, etc.) who would kill for a guy like him for the sole reason of getting them into the playoffs to increase revenue. The only period in his contract where he might be a tad overpriced in terms of cap would be the last few years, but by then the cap should be close to 100 million, he might retire before that, and 5M will seem like much less than it does now.

Personally, I think Luongo is gonna be lights out and Gillis will have the compsure to bring us back a worthwhile package for Schneider.

Very good thread, thanks AriGold. I do take umbrage with the idea that Luongo long term for 5.33 was a bad contract, and also with the way you assert Cory is worth a first round pick, in that you declare steadfastly that the compensation for letting him go to an offer sheet would be unworthy of his value, and yet 8m is too much to spend on a goalie tandem. I am not so sure. I think an elite goalie tandem could be worth 8million, in the right circumstances, and also that perhaps we are too close to the picture to really judge its value. Cory not worth a 2nd round pick? I would say, league wide on the whole that is almost exactly his worth. So if we match any offer sheet that doesn't get us a 2nd round pick, and we if we maybe match the one that would get us a 2nd round pick, and if we let him go for 3.something million and take the 1st and 3rd round pick..I think in any of those scenario's the Canucks would be winners.

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round pick

Clearly we can match 2m or less and keep him, most true if its more than one year deal.

Clearly we would take the 1st round pick and 3rd round pick or more if he is offered 3.134million or high

So, therefore, it is clear we are talking the very small line between 2m and 3.134m as the difference maker in matching or taking the pics.

I for one say that is a very small line to cross, and could prove well worth crossing depending on circumstances.

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round pick

Clearly we can match 2m or less and keep him, most true if its more than one year deal.

Clearly we would take the 1st round pick and 3rd round pick or more if he is offered 3.134million or high

So, therefore, it is clear we are talking the very small line between 2m and 3.134m as the difference maker in matching or taking the pics.

I for one say that is a very small line to cross, and could prove well worth crossing depending on circumstances.

I'm not so sure that Schneider will be moved. I know who MG wants to keep, but will he be able to move the contract?

sportsnet_square75x67_36.gif

Sportsnet Staff | December 6, 2011, 10:24 am

The Vancouver Canucks have explored the option of trading away goaltender Roberto Luongo, according to a report from the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch.

The article says: "The talk among league executives is the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles, but haven't been able to find anybody interested in his $5.3-million cap hit and contract that runs through the 2021-22 season."

tinyplayer.gifHave your say: Have an opinion on the news of the day? Better yet, want to join the Fan Fuel blog network? Visit the Fan Fuel page for more | Canucks finding their winning form

Garrioch adds that he believes the Canucks' other goalie, Cory Schneider, "will be shipped out at some point" because the team likely won't be able to move Luongo's contract.

Despite being nominated for the Vezina trophy and leading his team to the Stanley Cup finals, Luongo faced harsh criticism for his sub-par play late last season.

Luongo has struggled this season as well and has only played in 15 of Vancouver's 26 games. At 8-6-1 with a goals against average of 2.90, a save percentage of .896, and no shutouts, Luongo's numbers are well below his standards.

Meanwhile, Schneider (7-4) has been starting the bulk of Canucks games recently and with numbers like the ones he's putting up, it's no surprise why. The 25-year-old has a GAA of 2.12 and a save percentage of .930.

Canucks fans aren't exactly thrilled about Luongo's play either. Checkout this spoof Craigslist ad one disgruntled fan made.

POLL:

If the Canucks were to trade one of their goalies, who should the team keep as its starter?

Thanks for voting!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/12/06/canucks_luongo/

• Cory Schneider

73%

• Roberto Luongo

27%

Trading Schneider will be the biggest mistake this organization has, or ever will make.

Look what happened after they traded Cody.

We went from being almost unbeatable to IMMEDIATELY sinking like a stone after the trade deadline.

Allegedly, we acquired "the missing pieces" to a Stanley Cup in Kassian, Gragnani, and Pahlsson.. well, that remains to be seen, because since the trade, the team has gone 2-4-1 and now trails the Conference lead by a full 6 points. (yes, we have 2 games in hand but the way we're playing it won't matter)

ouch

We sent off a 20+ goal 3rd line player for "supposedly", more defence and toughness. Well, all I've seen is a pile of pucks in the net behind Luongo, and the Sedins and even Kesler get totally ragdolled by MONTREAL of all teams (!)

Not saying this team is doomed, but trading Cody was bad enough, necessary for some reason or not... you trade away Schneider and you can kiss this teams elite status goodbye.

Cory has only lost 6 games outright all season. He's appeared in 26 games.

You're LUCKY if you have a backup that can win half the games he starts.

Without Cory this team easily could be in the thick of the playoff hunt, and let's face it, they have won a lot more games this year that they shouldn't have, than they did last year. A big part of that is having a backup who has top 3 stats in the entire league who you can throw in net with complete confidence regardless of who you're playing.

Find a way to trade Luongo. It's mission difficult, not mission impossible.

Trading Schneider will be the biggest mistake this organization has, or ever will make.

Look what happened after they traded Cody.

We went from being almost unbeatable to IMMEDIATELY sinking like a stone after the trade deadline.

Allegedly, we acquired "the missing pieces" to a Stanley Cup in Kassian, Gragnani, and Pahlsson.. well, that remains to be seen, because since the trade, the team has gone 2-4-1 and now trails the Conference lead by a full 6 points. (yes, we have 2 games in hand but the way we're playing it won't matter)

ouch

We sent off a 20+ goal 3rd line player for "supposedly", more defence and toughness. Well, all I've seen is a pile of pucks in the net behind Luongo, and the Sedins and even Kesler get totally ragdolled by MONTREAL of all teams (!)

Not saying this team is doomed, but trading Cody was bad enough, necessary for some reason or not... you trade away Schneider and you can kiss this teams elite status goodbye.

Cory has only lost 6 games outright all season. He's appeared in 26 games.

You're LUCKY if you have a backup that can win half the games he starts.

Without Cory this team easily could be in the thick of the playoff hunt, and let's face it, they have won a lot more games this year that they shouldn't have, than they did last year. A big part of that is having a backup who has top 3 stats in the entire league who you can throw in net with complete confidence regardless of who you're playing.

Find a way to trade Luongo. It's mission difficult, not mission impossible.

I'm not so sure that Schneider will be moved. I know who MG wants to keep, but will he be able to move the contract?

sportsnet_square75x67_36.gif

Sportsnet Staff | December 6, 2011, 10:24 am

The Vancouver Canucks have explored the option of trading away goaltender Roberto Luongo, according to a report from the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch.

The article says: "The talk among league executives is the Canucks have dangled Luongo in trade circles, but haven't been able to find anybody interested in his $5.3-million cap hit and contract that runs through the 2021-22 season."

tinyplayer.gifHave your say: Have an opinion on the news of the day? Better yet, want to join the Fan Fuel blog network? Visit the Fan Fuel page for more | Canucks finding their winning form

Garrioch adds that he believes the Canucks' other goalie, Cory Schneider, "will be shipped out at some point" because the team likely won't be able to move Luongo's contract.

Despite being nominated for the Vezina trophy and leading his team to the Stanley Cup finals, Luongo faced harsh criticism for his sub-par play late last season.

Luongo has struggled this season as well and has only played in 15 of Vancouver's 26 games. At 8-6-1 with a goals against average of 2.90, a save percentage of .896, and no shutouts, Luongo's numbers are well below his standards.

Meanwhile, Schneider (7-4) has been starting the bulk of Canucks games recently and with numbers like the ones he's putting up, it's no surprise why. The 25-year-old has a GAA of 2.12 and a save percentage of .930.

Canucks fans aren't exactly thrilled about Luongo's play either. Checkout this spoof Craigslist ad one disgruntled fan made.

POLL:

If the Canucks were to trade one of their goalies, who should the team keep as its starter?

Thanks for voting!

http://www.sportsnet...canucks_luongo/

• Cory Schneider

73%

• Roberto Luongo

27%

Archived