The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Read On "why Isn't Cory Starting?" Vs Phoenix

nonpuckbunny

I don't think there is a "wrong" decision at this point of the season to sit which goalie and play which goalie especially given the standings.

Then why does article like this pops up so often? The author said it himself the best.

....the default reaction in what is supposed to be a sophisticated hockey market is to second guess and seek fault in every decision - big or small - that Vigneault makes.

The whole team seems to be in a little funk lately. Not that surprising since it can be hard to be motivated when they already now that they'll be in the post-season. Anyways, i think getting Luongo out of his little funk now is better. Get him playing and ready for the post-season as he is going to be the starter unless something weird/drastic happens....

I happen to agree with the article.

Canucks remain the only team that continues to play a cold goalie over a hot one.

Lu is well rested, has been getting most starts yet his performance has been very poor lately. His fans says he has to play lots to be "on his game". Well....he has been playing lots and look at what we have! So now the call will be that he needs to play lots to "find his game". How much of this team's energy and fate does this guy deserve to control?

The team has not played well but Lu has played like he did in the blow-outs in Boston and game 7. Very shakey and letting in goals he (and any tender) should stop. We all saw how the team crumpled in the playoffs after easy goals and we saw it again against Montreal last game.

AV is truly a hypocrite when he says he ices the best team every night...that he has 2 number 1 goalies.

How long is his leash? Every year in the playoffs (like recently) Lu has gotten lit up like a candle numerous times during playoff series, at least against any team with strong offence (Chicago, Boston). Obviously AV has learned nothing form his past insistence to ride the Luongo train despite strong evidence to the contrary.

I feel for the guy "cause he obviously wants to win and works hard but he just doesn't have what it takes. He lacks focus and mental toughness. He's had more chances to prove himself to be "the guy" in playoff games than just about any other goalie currently playing and hasn't got it done. How many more years of "playoff experience" does he need? TIme is running out on this group.

I happen to agree with the article.

Canucks remain the only team that continues to play a cold goalie over a hot one.

Lu is well rested, has been getting most starts yet his performance has been very poor lately. His fans says he has to play lots to be "on his game". Well....he has been playing lots and look at what we have! So now the call will be that he needs to play lots to "find his game". How much of this team's energy and fate does this guy deserve to control?

The team has not played well but Lu has played like he did in the blow-outs in Boston and game 7. Very shakey and letting in goals he (and any tender) should stop. We all saw how the team crumpled in the playoffs after easy goals and we saw it again against Montreal last game.

AV is truly a hypocrite when he says he ices the best team every night...that he has 2 number 1 goalies.

How long is his leash? Every year in the playoffs (like recently) Lu has gotten lit up like a candle numerous times during playoff series, at least against any team with strong offence (Chicago, Boston). Obviously AV has learned nothing form his past insistence to ride the Luongo train despite strong evidence to the contrary.

I feel for the guy "cause he obviously wants to win and works hard but he just doesn't have what it takes. He lacks focus and mental toughness. He's had more chances to prove himself to be "the guy" in playoff games than just about any other goalie currently playing and hasn't got it done. How many more years of "playoff experience" does he need? TIme is running out on this group.

Schneider stood on his ear in Phoenix and the Phoenix fans were abuzz on how good he was against Mike Smith..it was really a goalie duel. Phoenix will be so happy they don;t need to face him tonight ! I'm sure they'll be more than happy to faceLuongo.

Luongo is playing for the same reason Raymond and the Sedins are together and Gragnani is playing every game on the blueline - right now the Canucks are focusing first on getting ready for the playoffs - they are not treating each game like it is game 7 of a series - nor should they.

Schneider has shown that he is solid and ready despite the time between his starts - AV will go to Schneider when it really matters when he needs to - I highly doubt it will be live and die with Luongo regardless of how he is playing - but the Canucks have not reached a point where the tandem becomes Roberto falling to No 2 because of a few recent losses...

Cory will get the start on Saturday night against Columbus. Cory is 2-0-0 Vs. CLB this season, Lou is 0-0-1.

We don't want Lou sitting around for a week plus, he might reform to his October game.

That's what I think.

And as a great poet once said-----"You gotta have faith, faith, faith. Oooh, you gotta have faith." ;)

Cory is thriving under the conditions he has seen: a start and lots of rest, a start and lots of rest..et cetera. I wouldn't go to him as number one with a month left in the season..Lu needs to work through his funk and get ready for playoffs, but I would start Cory the very next game after Lu gets a win.

Archived