The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Read On "why Isn't Cory Starting?" Vs Phoenix

nonpuckbunny

Lu is good. The only reason he's had crappy stats the past few games is because the whole team as a whole has shown the resilience of a wet noodle.

Considering the number of times our defence has turned the puck over to the other team, you'd think they need a compass to show them which goal the puck is supposed to be going into.

I agree 100% what the hell does Cory have to do to earn the right to start a few in a row? I'm a big Luongo fan but he shouldnt be givin a free pass when he's clearly struggling and Schneids is getting it done even when the team in fromt of him isn't playing their best. I'd be pretty frustrated if I were him.

2nd place in the West is pretty much a lock at this point since every team that could potentially catch us is in the Central division lol, so I say we should let Luongo and the rest of the team play through the stretch and hopefully work out the kinks on their own in time for the games that actually matter. Making Luongo ride the pine till playoffs is only going to worsen the situation, he needs to play andget his confidence back.

Cory is thriving under the conditions he has seen: a start and lots of rest, a start and lots of rest..et cetera. I wouldn't go to him as number one with a month left in the season..Lu needs to work through his funk and get ready for playoffs, but I would start Cory the very next game after Lu gets a win.

I happen to agree with the article.

Canucks remain the only team that continues to play a cold goalie over a hot one.

Lu is well rested, has been getting most starts yet his performance has been very poor lately. His fans says he has to play lots to be "on his game". Well....he has been playing lots and look at what we have! So now the call will be that he needs to play lots to "find his game". How much of this team's energy and fate does this guy deserve to control?

The team has not played well but Lu has played like he did in the blow-outs in Boston and game 7. Very shakey and letting in goals he (and any tender) should stop. We all saw how the team crumpled in the playoffs after easy goals and we saw it again against Montreal last game.

AV is truly a hypocrite when he says he ices the best team every night...that he has 2 number 1 goalies.

How long is his leash? Every year in the playoffs (like recently) Lu has gotten lit up like a candle numerous times during playoff series, at least against any team with strong offence (Chicago, Boston). Obviously AV has learned nothing form his past insistence to ride the Luongo train despite strong evidence to the contrary.

I feel for the guy "cause he obviously wants to win and works hard but he just doesn't have what it takes. He lacks focus and mental toughness. He's had more chances to prove himself to be "the guy" in playoff games than just about any other goalie currently playing and hasn't got it done. How many more years of "playoff experience" does he need? TIme is running out on this group.

I just don't get the mentality that Lou need to keeps playing. When he was in a funk earlier this year he never came out of it until Cory played 7 in a row, 3-4 at least Lou was healthy and could have played.

Seems like the longer the more games he struggles the tougher it would be to come out of. You can physically see it when his confidence is low, so why keep adding pressure by keep playing him when he is playing poorly.

Every player and fan wants to win every game, but nobody expects you to play your best goalie 82 games a year, but when just about everyone knows Cory is clearly better than Lou is today,,this week,,,this year,,Why put Lou in almost every game as of late because fans will be frustrated and boo a guy when they know the other guy deserves to be in net.

What if Lou does have a collapse in the Playoffs and we need Cory to step up more than 1 game? Cory has not had back to back starts since November.

When it becomes all about trying to get Lou ready and not the team ready and all its players there will become a problem because there is no way some players don't see the hypocricy of the things the team says, and the things they do like saying two number 1s because Cory is not treated like a no1 no matter what he does, or how Lou plays because even Lou at his best this season has not put up the numbers Cory has all season even when you take out October and March for Lou.

I happen to agree with the article.

Canucks remain the only team that continues to play a cold goalie over a hot one

Lu is well rested, has been getting most starts yet his performance has been very poor lately.  His fans says he has to play lots to be "on his game". Well....he has been playing lots and look at what we have!  So now the call will be that he needs to play lots to "find his game".  How much of this team's energy and fate does this guy deserve to control?

The team has not played well but Lu has played like he did in the blow-outs in Boston and game 7.  Very shakey and letting in goals he (and any tender) should stop. We all saw how the team crumpled in the playoffs after easy goals and we saw it again against Montreal last game.

AV is truly a hypocrite when he says he ices the best team every night...that he has 2 number 1 goalies.

How long is his leash?  Every year in the playoffs (like recently) Lu has gotten lit up like a candle numerous times during playoff series, at least against any team with strong offence (Chicago, Boston).  Obviously AV has learned nothing form his past insistence to ride the Luongo train despite strong evidence to the contrary.

I feel for the guy cause he obviously wants to win and works hard but he just doesn't have what it takes.  He lacks focus and mental toughness. He's had more chances to prove himself to be "the guy" in playoff games than just about any other goalie currently playing and hasn't got it done. How many more years of "playoff experience" does he need? TIme is running out on this group.

Luongo is playing for the same reason Raymond and the Sedins are together and Gragnani is playing every game on the blueline - right now the Canucks are focusing first on getting ready for the playoffs - they are not treating each game like it is game 7 of a series - nor should they.

Schneider has shown that he is solid and ready despite the time between his starts - AV will go to Schneider when it really matters when he needs to - I highly doubt it will be live and die with Luongo regardless of how he is playing - but the Canucks have not reached a point where the tandem becomes Roberto falling to No 2 because of a few recent losses...

Omg, for someone to write this article and saying bluntly that AV is wrong, this is tottaly wrong. How can you even think you can have the power to say that, especially how after he just listed his accomplishments and how great a coach he is, you know what if he think starting Luongo is the best thing to do for tonight, who are we to question his decisions?

Besides I agree with AV on this because Luongo does not need to sit to learn to play better, he needs to play more, that is how it works that is how it is, and that is how AV is handling this. I mean seriously do you guys want Luongo on the bench "resting" for a long time or for many games before the playoffs? Maybe you think he'd be fresh but he would probably just have his confidence way down and also he would be rusty coming back playing night in and night out.

The writer lost me when he said AV is wrong in this situation, I can't go on reading it after what I just explained about it above. Thank you, CH#1F.

There is no job opening for that position, so no, he doesn't 'deserve' to compete for it. He deserves a really big pay raise for sure, and he will be a starting goalie in the NHL, that is certain. But what is also certain is that he signed an agreement to play for Vancouver which does not expire until July 1st, and then, because he also agreed to comply with the collective bargaining agreement, the Canucks still have the right to be his employer, provided they will pay him whatever a competing teams offer is, which he would have accepted. That is how the job goes. There is no opening for a starter on this team, and the backup job is filled till July 1st by Cory himself.

The Strategy:

Let's wait for the playoffs before we reject Lu. He's being paid too much to sit. We should not let him off so easily.

If he shatters during any of the first 3 games - he's out. Go with Schneider to win the round.

Play Lu again at the start of the second round. If he disintegrates, go with Schneider to win the round.

Ad infinitum.

We win the cup and Lu can take credit as #1 goaltender for the Canucks.

LUUUUUU!

Here's the Strategy:

Play Lu for the first three games of the playoffs. If he shatters,go with Schneider to win the round.

Play Lu for the first three games of the second round. If he disintegrates, go with Schneider to win the round.

Et cetera, et cetera.

When we win the cup, Lu will be #1 goaltender.

Everybody wins.

Luuuuu!

I just think Cory Schneider is better.

In big money sports it is easy to fall into the money trap but the best teams always play their best players. Can you imagine if Bill Belicheck had given the starting job back to Drew Bledsoe after he returned from injury? Patriots probably don't win the multiple Super Bowls and Tom Brady moves on to play in Dallas or Chicago? They saw something in Tom Brady and weren't scared to keep their top paid vetran on the bench and play the 7th rounder. I think Cory Schneider is already one of the best goalies in the league and his best days are in front of him. If he is playing better...please play him.

I absolutely despise the thought of letting Schneider go next year.

Phoenix isn't a strong hockey team offensively and Luongo generally plays well against them, anyways.

I think we have bigger problems than our goaltending right now, anyways. Way too many mistakes, poor defensive zone coverage, little in the way of goal support, stagnant power play, top players not producing, etc.

Archived