Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting Read On "why Isn't Cory Starting?" Vs Phoenix

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I happen to agree with the article.

Canucks remain the only team that continues to play a cold goalie over a hot one

Lu is well rested, has been getting most starts yet his performance has been very poor lately.  His fans says he has to play lots to be "on his game". Well....he has been playing lots and look at what we have!  So now the call will be that he needs to play lots to "find his game".  How much of this team's energy and fate does this guy deserve to control?

The team has not played well but Lu has played like he did in the blow-outs in Boston and game 7.  Very shakey and letting in goals he (and any tender) should stop. We all saw how the team crumpled in the playoffs after easy goals and we saw it again against Montreal last game.

AV is truly a hypocrite when he says he ices the best team every night...that he has 2 number 1 goalies.

How long is his leash?  Every year in the playoffs (like recently) Lu has gotten lit up like a candle numerous times during playoff series, at least against any team with strong offence (Chicago, Boston).  Obviously AV has learned nothing form his past insistence to ride the Luongo train despite strong evidence to the contrary.

I feel for the guy cause he obviously wants to win and works hard but he just doesn't have what it takes.  He lacks focus and mental toughness. He's had more chances to prove himself to be "the guy" in playoff games than just about any other goalie currently playing and hasn't got it done. How many more years of "playoff experience" does he need? TIme is running out on this group.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not hating on Lui at all. He's a great goalie...just a little too mentally fragile for my liking. But why is it that this coaching staff appears afraid of possibly going with Schneids entering the playoffs. Is it because of Lui's huge contract, and sitting him might reflect badly on management? Is it because they believe Lui wouldn't recover emotionally from the "insult"? I don't know. But really good coaches and teams aren't afraid to make these types of changes. Look at Boston the last couple of years. Rask stole the starters job from Thomas at the beginning of last season, played the bulk of the games then lost the starters role to Thomas just before the playoffs...and we know how that story ended. JS Giguere was Anaheim's MVP for their Cup, then lost his starters role to Hiller by the end of the following season.

This is what great teams do. They don't baby their starters to try and help them find their game with the playoffs around the corner. They go with who is playing better and gives them the best chance to win at that time.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#32 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Luongo is playing for the same reason Raymond and the Sedins are together and Gragnani is playing every game on the blueline - right now the Canucks are focusing first on getting ready for the playoffs - they are not treating each game like it is game 7 of a series - nor should they.
Schneider has shown that he is solid and ready despite the time between his starts - AV will go to Schneider when it really matters when he needs to - I highly doubt it will be live and die with Luongo regardless of how he is playing - but the Canucks have not reached a point where the tandem becomes Roberto falling to No 2 because of a few recent losses...

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope you are right.
But I think deep down Gillis and AV know they have their boat tied to Luongo, at least for this playoffs. And they and the whole team and Canuck Nation will go down with that boat if it don't stay afloat.

My concern is when would AV would pull Luongo out. Not just for the rest of a bad game, giving the loss to Cory, and then starting Lu for the next game, but actually switching goalies and letting Cory run with it all the way forward. I think Lu has one more playoff to prove himself and I just don't see AV switching it up unless it's all but over. (knock on wood)

#33 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Double post.

Edited by MJDDawg, 14 March 2012 - 01:24 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#34 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,680 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

When Lu went down early in the season and Cory was our temp number 1. Cory thrived there as well. Schnieds is the ultimate team guy and excels in whatever he is given. Not saying he should be given the number 1 spot on this team, but he deserved a chance to compete for it.

There is no job opening for that position, so no, he doesn't 'deserve' to compete for it. He deserves a really big pay raise for sure, and he will be a starting goalie in the NHL, that is certain. But what is also certain is that he signed an agreement to play for Vancouver which does not expire until July 1st, and then, because he also agreed to comply with the collective bargaining agreement, the Canucks still have the right to be his employer, provided they will pay him whatever a competing teams offer is, which he would have accepted. That is how the job goes. There is no opening for a starter on this team, and the backup job is filled till July 1st by Cory himself.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#35 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Omg, for someone to write this article and saying bluntly that AV is wrong, this is tottaly wrong. How can you even think you can have the power to say that, especially how after he just listed his accomplishments and how great a coach he is, you know what if he think starting Luongo is the best thing to do for tonight, who are we to question his decisions?

Besides I agree with AV on this because Luongo does not need to sit to learn to play better, he needs to play more, that is how it works that is how it is, and that is how AV is handling this. I mean seriously do you guys want Luongo on the bench "resting" for a long time or for many games before the playoffs? Maybe you think he'd be fresh but he would probably just have his confidence way down and also he would be rusty coming back playing night in and night out.

The writer lost me when he said AV is wrong in this situation, I can't go on reading it after what I just explained about it above. Thank you, CH#1F.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#36 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

There is no job opening for that position, so no, he doesn't 'deserve' to compete for it. He deserves a really big pay raise for sure, and he will be a starting goalie in the NHL, that is certain. But what is also certain is that he signed an agreement to play for Vancouver which does not expire until July 1st, and then, because he also agreed to comply with the collective bargaining agreement, the Canucks still have the right to be his employer, provided they will pay him whatever a competing teams offer is, which he would have accepted. That is how the job goes. There is no opening for a starter on this team, and the backup job is filled till July 1st by Cory himself.

See bold ^^^- this kind of thinking, if shared by Nucks management, is why the Nucks may blow off another chance at the SC, and all to justify a 12 year over-blown contract to Lu.

See the post above about Boston's management of its goalies last year. They have handled their 2 goalies the same this year. Best goalie gets the start, except for rest periods etc

MG and AV have said numerous times, they believe internal competition for spots in the lineup is healthy and makes the team better. That apparently doesn't apply when it comes to Lu who rules the #1 spot by divine right.

Cory HAS earned the right to play in big games and to be a bigger part of the team's success and that means playing now and in the playoffs. He has worked hard, been a good soldier and carried the team when Lu was out. HIs numbers are significantly better than Lu's against equal and in som ecases better competition. To hand Lu the key to the kingdom for no other reason than he was here first and has a bigger contract is a recipe for disaster.

AV stuck with Lu last year when he was struggling, how did that work out for 4 of 7 games in the SCF? Against Chicago?

I Hope with all my heart that if Lu continues to struggle or if he melts down in any playoff games, AV and MG have the balls to put Cory in and ride him if he performs. THe team deserves the best chance to win and that means keeping an open mind and being fair when it comes to goaltending.

#37 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

The Strategy:

Let's wait for the playoffs before we reject Lu. He's being paid too much to sit. We should not let him off so easily.

If he shatters during any of the first 3 games - he's out. Go with Schneider to win the round.

Play Lu again at the start of the second round. If he disintegrates, go with Schneider to win the round.

Ad infinitum.

We win the cup and Lu can take credit as #1 goaltender for the Canucks.

LUUUUUU!
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#38 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Here's the Strategy:

Play Lu for the first three games of the playoffs. If he shatters,go with Schneider to win the round.

Play Lu for the first three games of the second round. If he disintegrates, go with Schneider to win the round.

Et cetera, et cetera.

When we win the cup, Lu will be #1 goaltender.

Everybody wins.

Luuuuu!
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#39 fifafu

fifafu

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I just think Cory Schneider is better.

In big money sports it is easy to fall into the money trap but the best teams always play their best players. Can you imagine if Bill Belicheck had given the starting job back to Drew Bledsoe after he returned from injury? Patriots probably don't win the multiple Super Bowls and Tom Brady moves on to play in Dallas or Chicago? They saw something in Tom Brady and weren't scared to keep their top paid vetran on the bench and play the 7th rounder. I think Cory Schneider is already one of the best goalies in the league and his best days are in front of him. If he is playing better...please play him.

I absolutely despise the thought of letting Schneider go next year.

#40 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Phoenix isn't a strong hockey team offensively and Luongo generally plays well against them, anyways.

I think we have bigger problems than our goaltending right now, anyways. Way too many mistakes, poor defensive zone coverage, little in the way of goal support, stagnant power play, top players not producing, etc.

#41 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Luongo's career numbers vs. PHX (w/ Vancouver):

11-5-1, 1.83 GAA, 93.7 SV%, 3 SO

At home, he's 7-3-0, 1.69 GAA, 94.0 SV%, 2 SO

With the exception of the first game back from his groin injury in '08-'09 in which he allowed 4 goals, every game we've lost has been because of a lack of goal scoring.

Seems like a good decision to me if they want Lu to get his confidence back; play him against a team he owns.

Edited by n00bxQb, 14 March 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#42 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Schneider has been the better goalie all season long. Therefore, he should play. Its as simple as that. I don't care about getting Luongo to exercise his demons, or get his confidence back, or get back on form, or whatever the'yre calling it these days. Its been a topic of discussion for far too long. Schneider IS on form. He has been on form ever since he joined the team a couple seasons ago. He has done absolutely everything this season to show that he is the better goalie and its an absolute travesty that he is still sitting on the bench. $60 million contract be damned...Schneider deserves the start.

#43 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Statistically, One would think Schneider should be playing and he was very good in Phoenix( I saw that game) but its a lot about team chemistry...that being said, the team needs both goalies to be on top of their game going into the playoffs. Unless Lou is working on some of his shortcomings in practice...playings not going to help him much. If he is, then he needs to put them into a game situation to get the confidence back. Management have made a choice based on their thoughts..and I'm sure there is a strategy here..They're not going to share it with the fans.AV cut his answer short as to why Lou is playing.... Unless Lou finds his game, along with others, this team is going to have big problems come playoffsThe golf clubs are out of the garage and in the trunk now !!

#44 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Majority of all this talk is pointless. Nothing we as fans can do. Luongo is the franchise #1 and Mike Gillis/AV will always go with him. If he was playing that horrible all by himself why did the offense get called out?

The way I see it in Vancouver. You guys call for Schneider when that happens and he plays 60 games with bad games will everyone want Lack as starter? Canucks developed Cory into the leagues top up and comer between the pipes. No doubt he would want to stay. Why does everyone assume so? Never has complained about his minutes. He will get his games either way if he earned them or not. Schneider has proved not be selfish and won't talk about contracts until the time comes where I full faith MG will do what's best for him and what he wants not what fans or media think is rigjt.

It's not even the end of the season yet everyone talks about "Cups" and "Contracts" like we fast forwarded to all the drama that comes at the end of the season. Just chill everyone! We don't know what's going to happen and let's live in the now. Playoffs haven't started but everyone already talking about Luongos playoffs, all the negativty and people wonder why everyone hates us. Let's be fans and start cheering! They can't hear us as majority of you are bitching and complaininf 24/7 like the Canucks are the Maple Leafs not making the playoffs.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#45 canucks3322

canucks3322

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Luongo plays well no one talks about it, Luongo has a couple bad games and everything is his fault :\

#46 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Gillis is a very smart guy, and do not think for a minute the signing of Lou was something he would have done unless forced to. Gillis himself said long term contracts are not the way to go, but in this case it was because with Luongo his hands were tied by our Italian owners who want their Italian goalie to be the man no matter what.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.