The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Human Fossils Unlike Any Known Species

I'm not an anthropologist, and don't have any vested interest in what they are called, or us humans for that matter. So long as it's accurate. Insofar as I'm aware, they are currently separate species as considered by anthropologists.

That was back before recent research has found them to have interbred.

How about subsubspecies?

I prefer to be scientifically consistent when applying taxonomic classification to humans as to every other lifeform, but somehow, dwelling on the differences between races is not politically correct, highly discouraged and socially unacceptable.

It creates huge ethical problems. Beyond the legal issues, there's also the fact the science is nowhere near perfect. Even if you were able to find and extract the human DNA, which we can't, there's a very good chance of creating an imperfect clone that would be born with all sorts of difficiencies. The only problem is that these clones would be thinking rational humans...what do you do with them? Dispose of them like lab rats? Force them to live some kind of tortured existence?

Even if you were able to perfect the process, the idea of purposely created less evolved humans is no different than purposely creating a mentally handicapped human embryo. Not to mention humans are social and self-aware beings. These cloned people would have none of their own kind and be aware that they were science experiments. And what exactly do you plan to do with them? Put them on display like a circus side show?

Other than the fact it would be cool to look at these people in a zoo, what possible reason could there possibly be to experiment with human or close to human DNA?

For the sake of argument, let's assume cloning technique works. If you think it's a major moral concern, then my answer is yes: genetically deficient clones can be disposed of like lab rats. In fact, I see no difference between a lab rat and this being we're talking about.

The idea is entirely different because a created mentally handicapped is defective by design, while the extinct human species is ideal for its contemporary environment (barring cloning problems). The goal is to learn, and a cloned homo ____, even in a vegetative state could give us insight into our evolutionary history. I don't know why you bring up a circus side show. It's science, not entertainment.

I don't know, I'm sure anthropologists could learn something from an extinct homo species.

No, as their purposes for existing are the same. I do struggle with the "experiments on a self aware being", part, but ultimately I am willing to look beyond that. However, I must say I haven't spent a lot of time on the topic, and am open to more information to form my opinion.

Certainly, in the hands of ignorant people. As I said, I have no problem with non-arbitrary classification of humans.

Based on your logic, there should be no difference between eating and raising people for cattle and eating animals. The purpose is the same.

Once again, there are no non-arbitrary ways to classify humans. Our genes exist along a spectrum and show up randomly all over the place. We have yet to find a living population of humans that comes anyhwere close to meeting the defintion of sub-species.

Homo Sapiens radiated from Africa and changed due to differing environments and various adaptations. Don't think it's a result of thorough interbreeding.

The differences observed today can probably be explained through natural selection and genetic linkage between closely associated traits.

Archived