The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Calls On Canucks Fans To Be Louder

hockeyville88

^ Exactly - in Winnipeg, they're still on a high over getting their team back. I am convinced some of this frenzy will wear off over time and to compare to this isn't really fair. This fanbase has been through the ringer and cheered themselves out last year - they're still recovering from the state of shock.

Although I agree with KB and am not one to hold back during games, I fully understand that our fanbase is somewhat apprehensive and guarded now. Therapy will help.

The REAL fans make it work somehow regardless of price....

I've paid much more than that after saving for like 3 months ($192.50) for literally the last seat in the arena in the very top row behind the visitor net here in the 'Peg. And you know what?

Worth. Every. Penny.

The "crowds" at Rogers Arena are embarrasing. To think that this is a Canadian hockey market is sad.

Previous posters are right. The average season ticket holder is a vapid, fairweather fan with little passion for the game.

The Canucks asked for it though. Outside of Toronto, Vancouver has the most expensive tickets for pro hockey. Therefore many of the fans who truly know how to be fans, by being vocal and excited, can't afford to go.

San Jose, Boston, Chicago, Montreal....these teams have passionate LOUD fanbases. This is due to the fanbase being of a diverse makeup. Vancouver's fanbase is 70% corporate. No passion or heart there. Sorry.

I read the first 5 or so pages of this and... Wooww. What's with all this uproar? All the people who say that we will cheer louder when they start winning are bandwagoners. When the team is down, we should support them by cheering at least as loud. Sending a message via jeers.. Sure! Wake up the team. But don't sit silently, support your Canucks!

The most disgusting, ignorant replies to this this thread are the ones saying that Bieksa shouldn't give a crap about the fan noise. Really?! Have none of you been in a track meet or an organized sport? Hearing the roar of the crowd can get you pumped up! You think that as soon as someone hits a seven figure salary, that disappears? Or worse yet, it SHOULD disappear? Give your head a shake. The players that are immune to fan are the ones that have stopped enjoying the game, stopped caring. This just shows how the Canucks feed off their (usually) awesome fans. Go Canucks!

:frantic:

WOW! Next time I see Kevin I will tell him myself that I have always cheered my guts out sitting in Section 111 and just got so tired of being glared at and people getting mad for me making a noise (just yelling stuff like: Go Canucks Go or Make it Happen).

So many fans get so mad that eventually I say nothing and now I rarely go. I think maybe the quiet ones should watch the game on TV and give their tickets to real fans who will really cheer.

I remember going to see games with my dad at Pacific Coliseum in the 1980's. Those days it was a riot (sorry). The fans were loud and excited about a decent team.

The last game I went to this year was the polar opposite. There were people on their cell phones for half the first period. Others were so busy talking business that they didn't even jump up and cheer for a goal.

If the majority of the fanbase could make it to a game without taking out a loan, you would see, hear, and feel a different crowd. The crowds now are not their for the game. They are there to woo clients or broker a deal. A well off corporate fan base will never make a boisterous crowd, but that is what exists here.

The majority of the REAL FANS watch the game at home and spill their beers with each goal, hit, and save. They follow the team religiously. These are the real fans who live and breath the game. If they were in Rogers, night after night, you wouldn't be able to hear Jets or Habs fans.

Bang on KB, the atmosphere at Rogers Arena is pretty embarrassing. I think that it is part of it is the attitude in Vancouver, a lot of people seem to think that it is "uncultured" to be loud. You don't get that same attitude in places like Montreal, Winnipeg, or New York. For example where I live (Montreal), the old guys are by far the loudest ones. Even the guys in suits have hoarse voices by the end, people look at you like you are weird if you sit quietly the entire game. You get energized just by sitting in the building. I went to a game at Rogers last time I came home for a visit and I needed a coffee by the first intermission. Look at Winnipeg too, those fans are even crazier. It is human nature, it doesn't matter how much they get paid, the players feed off the energy.

Honestly, people like you are part of the problem. It's ok to be loud, cheer and have fun, but being rowdy is totally different. There's no need to go absolutely out of your way to be rowdy and start cursing and such. People DO like to bring their children and that's as much their right as yours to be loud. The difference is, you're the adult. If there's kids around, maybe you can have some sense, be mature about it and behave yourself.

Probably going to catch Hell for my comments but it's just my opinion. In my opinion one of the factors for the building being so quiet is the make up of the crowd. Vancouver's population has a significant number of Asian people. Now before people hammer me, let me say that I am one of them, I am Indian. There are a lot of Chinese Canadian people as well. While both groups are ardent suporters (met plenty of them in Boston during the finals) it's not really in either culture to be loud and boisterous. Sure cheering and yelling at big moments in a game is the norm but going above and beyond isn't something that is easily embraced in either culture.

Sure there are some very loud Indo-Canadian Canucks fans as there are loud Chinese-Canadian Canuck fans but it's not the norm. Sorry if that offends anyone just my opinion.

Also the in-house entertainment at the arena is embarassing. The DJ simply has no clue. I recall being at one playoff game last year I think round 3 and during the 2nd intermission they had some doofus scratching records for 10 minutes. This totally killed whatever atmosphere there was.

It's pretty simple if you want people to be loud, play loud music. Would it kill him to play "Welcome to the Jungle"? I have nothing against Lady Gaga but that type of music isn't going to get anyone out of their seat.

To Canuck management, make going to the game an event. Quit doing the same stuff every game. The T-shirt cannon is overdone. Come up with something else. Look at the NFL, going to an NFL game is a fun event. The game can at times even become secondary as people are having so much fun with other stuff. Use a little imagination. No wonder the crowd is half asleep.

Probably going to catch Hell for my comments but it's just my opinion. In my opinion one of the factors for the building being so quiet is the make up of the crowd. Vancouver's population has a significant number of Asian people. Now before people hammer me, let me say that I am one of them, I am Indian. There are a lot of Chinese Canadian people as well. While both groups are ardent suporters (met plenty of them in Boston during the finals) it's not really in either culture to be loud and boisterous. Sure cheering and yelling at big moments in a game is the norm but going above and beyond isn't something that is easily embraced in either culture.

Sure there are some very loud Indo-Canadian Canucks fans as there are loud Chinese-Canadian Canuck fans but it's not the norm. Sorry if that offends anyone just my opinion.

Also the in-house entertainment at the arena is embarassing. The DJ simply has no clue. I recall being at one playoff game last year I think round 3 and during the 2nd intermission they had some doofus scratching records for 10 minutes. This totally killed whatever atmosphere there was.

It's pretty simple if you want people to be loud, play loud music. Would it kill him to play "Welcome to the Jungle"? I have nothing against Lady Gaga but that type of music isn't going to get anyone out of their seat.

To Canuck management, make going to the game an event. Quit doing the same stuff every game. The T-shirt cannon is overdone. Come up with something else. Look at the NFL, going to an NFL game is a fun event. The game can at times even become secondary as people are having so much fun with other stuff. Use a little imagination. No wonder the crowd is half asleep.

Of course the Jets' fans are going to be loud. They just got their team back this year.

It's always more fun to be in the opposing team's building trying to out cheer their fans. Not much you can do when the season ticket holders sell their tickets to fans from the opposing teams.

Went to a game earlier in the season (Calgary..we won 5-1)...and the crowd was dead....I PVR'd the game and watched it again,..it was more exciting on TV.

The crowd is a non factor at The Rog nowadays....god forbid they make any noise to spur the team on..It did'nt always used to be that way..

We need the rowdy rioting types inside and the silent suits outside, it is a shame that the corporate elite own the lower bowl and don't want to be disturbed by some noisy beer-drinkin fans, watch a Habs game , that's how to cheer. Good on the Peg for showin the westcoast how to be a fan

Archived