The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Calls On Canucks Fans To Be Louder

hockeyville88

It's true. Fans at Rogers Arena suck, but it's the result of a lot of things.

Corporate season's tickets, high ticket prices, more or less.

Ideally we would have an entire section of season's ticket holders forming a cheering section (much like the Southsiders for the Whitecaps, that's where I am, lol) but the price of season's tickets are just too high for average fans.

k i will accept the fact that in the "club section" there are lost of suits and rich old people but come on guys. Some people saying that 95 percent of the people are suits and others saying the majority of people at games are old give me a break. My family has had lower bowl season tickets since the late 70's and I have never once thought to myself "wow there is a lot of old people wearing suits at the game tonight". If your not an idiot you will realize that the upper bowl in any arena will be louder cause of ticket prices. What age group of hockey fans can only afford the cheaper seats?? The young rowdy ones, just cause people dont cheer loud enough for you doesn't make them less of a fan. My dad has been a canucks fan since the first puck drop in team history and when we go to games he's not screaming his head off every 5 minutes. Does that make him less of a fan than some guy 30 rows up who hasnt stopped yelling the whole game, no it doesnt

ps. i love people cheering as loud as they can and do it myself when i get to go to games

Exactly ;) ...we have been approached by security (CBC HNIC game/crew vs TO - how DARE we cheer!). Had an issue with the cowbell, yet felt it was fine to stand behind me yapping in my ear about anything but the hockey game I was paying to see. I don't think paying fans should be told to pipe down if they're cheering.

I'm not talking about incessant, inappropriate noise and shrieking either...just an ovation when we've had a good shift on a kill or after a big, crunching hit, etc. When the time is right. Shouldn't have to be quiet at a hockey game.

Im sure juice means that its motivational to hear the fans. when you think how nuts bostons fans are, or if you watch a flyers rangers game its nuts in there and it is intimiidating for visiting teams. for the few canucks games ive been to ive felt like an oddball to cheer...i think our fans are emabarrassingly too cool for school the boys need support from us its energizing

I agree! It was embarrasing hearing the Habnot fans singing "na na na na hey goodbye" chant in out own friggin building.

Then the Jets fans come into town and out chant us?!?! pathetic. I dont get the Canuck fans who sell their tickets to opposing teams fans. This is our home building, unless they overpay twice the price, im not selling my tickets to any non Canuck fans.

Rogers Place is nothing compared to what the old Pacific Coliseum used to be for "fan participation". I'm not sure if it's the acoustics, no more organ player to lead the chants, or fans are just too comfortable in the new cushy seats. You used to be able to "stomp" during "We Weill Rock You" and it would be heard.. loud. We used to shout as much as possible to cheer them on.. throats as raw as after a concert. The "Go Canucks Go" chants would go on for an entire power play or penalty kill.. all 2 minutes of it. Today? A few bars of "Go Canucks Go" that quickly dwindles down to only a few fans. Almost as if nobody wants to be seen cheering by themselves. :P

Too much energy I guess.

Fans have that unique opportunity to actually "help" their team win by cheering them on. But they also have to share in the loss when they don't cheer.

For all of you saying that we, as fans, shouldn't be motivating the team I have one thing to say: Look at Winnipeg. Especially their home record. This is the same team that in Atlanta finished last in the league for like 5 years running, then first year with a passionate fanbase and they are in playoff contention and sport one of the best home records in the NHL.

Why the sudden turnaround? Look up the players responses when asked this same question, unanimously they say "The fans!" I live in Winnipeg and have been to a couple games, and let me tell you, you can actually SEE the difference in the players when the crowd gets loud. They skate faster, hit harder, pass better, and just swarm the opposition.

So get off your lazy a$$ and cheer for your team.

Archived