Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is Home Ice Advantage Enough Reward For The Presidents Award

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have often thought that there was not enough reward for winning first place overall. You work your ass of and put together the best hockey team in the world (especially in the cap era) and for what? the 30th overall pick?
I understand the philosophy of giving the worst team the top pick and so on up to 30 but this doesnt seem totaly fair to the best team in the league.
I think a good scenario would be to let the bottom 5 teams do there picking and then give the first place team the sixth pick. What do you think?
GOD BE PRAISED

#2 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

30th overall goes to Stanley cup victor.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#3 NoShowWilly

NoShowWilly

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

you don't get the 30th pick overall for winning the presidents trophy. you get a trophy and homeice in the playoffs and yes that is enough.

#4 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

The owner of the team who win the Presidents Cup thinks the profit from having home ice advantage in the playoffs is sufficient.

#5 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

The owner of the team who win the Presidents Cup thinks the profit from having home ice advantage in the playoffs is sufficient.

^ Pretty much what it comes down to. But in a non business point of view, I've felt for some time that first in each conference should get bye's. Can't reward much more than home for first overall in the league.

Edited by CanuckRow, 14 March 2012 - 08:50 PM.

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#6 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think so. Lu plays much better at home too.

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Home ice is definetly enough. I wouldn't think it'd be fair if the Presidents Cup winner was rewarded with home ice and the first overall pick or any other lottery pick.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#8 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ask Pittsburgh or st Louis at the end of the year

#9 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

^ Pretty much what it comes down to. But in a non business point of view, I've felt for some time that first in each conference should get bye's. Can't reward much more than home for first overall in the league.

I predict you will see byes come out with the next CBA, but not just for the 1st place team.

I think we are going to see the return of the divisonal realignment that the NHLPA shot down, but with a small playoff expansion. I think you will see the top 5 in each of the 4 divisions make the playoffs with the 4th place team playing the 5th place team in a best of 3 first round.

I have no evidence of this, just a gut feeling.
Posted Image

#10 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Interesting question. When I read this I thought of first-round byes with only 7 playoff teams (to allow for each conference to get 6 teams per conference playing in the first round, then 4 in the 2nd round, then 2 per conf. in the 3rd and then the final). However that may not always benefit the team given the bye (unless the team was battered and could really use the time to allow their stars to rest and heal). The ample amount of rest with rounds going anywhere from 4 to 7 games means that the 1st seed could be sitting for a long time and so they can get rusty and the players may lose some of their competitive edge since like Sid said "you can only simulate so much of real-game situations".

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#11 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

home ice adv for all 4 series is a big reward

You can view all of my CDC artwork in this thread:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

Follow me on Twitter:  @Toni_Zamboni

#12 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

home advantage through the playoffs is huge. plus you get to put a banner up and you get a trophy and you get mad props.

granting too much importance to 1st place would detract from the excitement of the playoffs IMHO. it's the playoffs that are intended to determine who the best hockey team is. it'd also be awkward to give a high pick to the team that finishes number 1 and then the second lowest pick to a team that may be tied in points or just have one fewer point. it's pretty clear the canucks were the best regular season team last year, but if you look at the year before, washington won. they were pretty much able to run the table in their crappy division and got a gazzillion points that way. i really don't think they were the best team that year (as was shown when they lost in the 1st round).

otherwise, having a bye is quite the double-edged sword, especially if the other teams get deep in their series and you wait around. it's very difficult to recreate game conditions in hockey practice. timing and physicality are likely to get thrown off by having a week or two off.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.