The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Struggles A Perfect Wake Up Call To The Team

Sixteen W's

Roberto Luongo's in the middle of a rough patch, much like the rest of the team, but his struggles are actually much more recent.

Exceptional netminding can mask poor play by the rest of the team, and that's exactly what Luongo and Schneider were providing night after night for the past while. The team wasn't scoring goals, but it wasn't letting in many, so the wins kept coming, despite all that overtime and poor play.

In a way, Luongo's poor play is good for the team, and it's starting to show. The team's success could never rely so heavily on Luongo given his tendency to be streaky, and sometimes the forwards have to chip in enough for an easy night or two.

The Canucks obviously needed more offense, and that's exactly what's happening. The Canucks are now taking more shots, they're starting to score more goals, and the power-play has started to click again.

Once Luongo finds his form again, this team should start rolling again just in time for the playoffs.

Don't remind me about our defense.

Is it slightly contradictory to agree with all of the above? My gut is feeling that schneids is the answer to getting througb this slump. lu carried us for quite a while thru all those shootouts but come playoffs hes streaky. The cup window is closing for this set of players we need a decisive playoff run THIS season. I think cory is the man for the job regardless of valks no goaltender controversy right now. Fair enough one more chance for lou then in with the ginger!

Roberto Luongo's in the middle of a rough patch, much like the rest of the team, but his struggles are actually much more recent.

Exceptional netminding can mask poor play by the rest of the team, and that's exactly what Luongo and Schneider were providing night after night for the past while. The team wasn't scoring goals, but it wasn't letting in many, so the wins kept coming, despite all that overtime and poor play.

In a way, Luongo's poor play is good for the team, and it's starting to show. The team's success could never rely so heavily on Luongo given his tendency to be streaky, and sometimes the forwards have to chip in enough for an easy night or two.

The Canucks obviously needed more offense, and that's exactly what's happening. The Canucks are now taking more shots, they're starting to score more goals, and the power-play has started to click again.

Once Luongo finds his form again, this team should start rolling again just in time for the playoffs.

Don't remind me about our defense.

There are far too many factors to blame it all in Lu... Sure the guy is having some rough patches, however keep in mind the d makes a goalie better and our d us very inconsistent and makes far too many mistakes. There is a reason why juice is -3 and in this game and let's not forget that 3 on 1 which led to a shot on goal by bieksa followed by a goal jn our net which again juice made happen.

Line juggling along crap pylon non existent players like Raymond which just occupy a spot on the rooster along with a few struggling players leads to losing games. Today's loss is mainly due to line juggling; AV needed to f*** with the d today for what reason??? Let's mess both front and back lines and see what? IfLu can win it for us? Or was AV expecting magic by sticking raymond with the twins??

Wtf was AV thinking???

Raymond was a pylon last year and sadly this year he's even worse after coming back from injury... Sure he looked promising at first but as I mentioned b4 a few fluky goals and a couple of assists in a short period of time is not enough to judge. Also our prospect Kassian has been invisible for the past few games... Kid is just not ready for NHL and its hard to play for Canucks as there is way too much expectance from the guy.

Overall Lu needs to be better, I agree, but please don't blame it all on the guy. Inconsistency with him really does suck tho as he tends to have a stellar game here and there stealing a game then sink for a bunch of games.

There are far too many factors to blame it all in Lu... Sure the guy is having some rough patches, however keep in mind the d makes a goalie better and our d us very inconsistent and makes far too many mistakes. There is a reason why juice is -3 and in this game and let's not forget that 3 on 1 which led to a shot on goal by bieksa followed by a goal jn our net which again juice made happen.

Line juggling along crap pylon non existent players like Raymond which just occupy a spot on the rooster along with a few struggling players leads to losing games. Today's loss is mainly due to line juggling; AV needed to f*** with the d today for what reason??? Let's mess both front and back lines and see what? IfLu can win it for us? Or was AV expecting magic by sticking raymond with the twins??

Wtf was AV thinking???

Raymond was a pylon last year and sadly this year he's even worse after coming back from injury... Sure he looked promising at first but as I mentioned b4 a few fluky goals and a couple of assists in a short period of time is not enough to judge. Also our prospect Kassian has been invisible for the past few games... Kid is just not ready for NHL and its hard to play for Canucks as there is way too much expectance from the guy.

Overall Lu needs to be better, I agree, but please don't blame it all on the guy. Inconsistency with him really does suck tho as he tends to have a stellar game here and there stealing a game then sink for a bunch of games.

Luongo's leash come playoff time should be very very short. If he lets in 2 quick goals or soft goals, yank him right away while the game is still in reach.

Since we're preety much a lock for the playoffs, why dont AV let CS win the #1 job??, why is this franchise so afraid of this idea. Hiller beat Giguere, Ward was discovered in the playoffs, Miller, Howard etc.

Luongo's leash come playoff time should be very very short. If he lets in 2 quick goals or soft goals, yank him right away while the game is still in reach.

Since we're preety much a lock for the playoffs, why dont AV let CS win the #1 job??, why is this franchise so afraid of this idea. Hiller beat Giguere, Ward was discovered in the playoffs, Miller, Howard etc.

as i have said previously... maybe they are trying to make Luongo look bad (or maybe he's just bad) in the remaining games and have an argument to play Schneids in the playoffs and possibly re-sign him during the summer... just my speculation...lol..

as i have said previously... maybe they are trying to make Luongo look bad (or maybe he's just bad while the Sedins are resting for the playoffs) in the remaining games and have an argument to play Schneids in the playoffs and possibly re-sign him during the summer... just my speculation...lol..

Best news of the game for the Canucks was that Burrows might be able to bring back some of the third line offence that was lost with the Hodgson trade. Now if AV could sit Raymond, play Kassian with the Sedins to give them some room, and go back to his regular defence pairings, the team might have a chance to find its feet before the playoffs. Otherwise ... it's going to be kaput ... first round exit and a long summer, boys ...

I thought the plan coming into this season was to play the hotter goalie? This tactic should be applied whether it'd be first week of the season or last week of the season. Aren't we supposed to have a 1A and 1B goalie? And it's not like Schneids isn't capable of handling the job.... He's a proven starter, not a backup. Wow seriously AV. You're a good coach but clearly Luongo has been struggling since playing vs. Buffalo. (0 win and 4 losses) Whereas Schneids is (1-0 vs the Jets). Do the right thing.

Archived