The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Value Of: Ryan Malone

Hi.

I've been watching Ryan Malone lately and been wondering what it would take to get him.

My guess is this is the deal that could land him:

To VAN: RYAN MALONE, VICTOR HEDMAN + 1ST (DET)

To TBL: CORY SCHNEIDER, KEITH BALLARD, JORDAN SCHROEDER, MASON RAYMOND & CHRIS TANEV + 2nd

Maybe the value isn't quite even, but you get the gist. I'm trying to figure a way to grab Hedman in the process.

I have a list of PROS and CONS about Malone that I have found:

PROS:

- Big guy at 6'4 220, and averages about 205~ hits per 82 games

- A Power Forward who goes to the net hard

- Excellent powerplay guy for in front of the net or if he is set up for his big wrist/slap shot

- Averages 56~ points per 82 games (27g, 29a)

- Has leadership qualities, wore an "A" in Pittsburgh and in Tampa Bay (when injuries occurred)

- Will be 35 at the end of his contract in 2015, good age at the tip of his prime

- Still has good hands and vision

- Can kill penalties pretty well

- Underrated passer (might be good for Kesler's line) because he is known primarily as a power forward

- Played both left & right wing in his career

- Creates space on whichever line he is put on

- Will drop the gloves to protect his team no problem

- A serious upgrade over Mason Raymond (though I like the guy)

- Would be a good guy to put on the ice with the Sedins after a penalty kill

- Can be versatile throughout the top-9, has played on the 3rd lines in both Pittsburgh (Staal) and Tampa Bay (Thompson) before, but he is better in the top-6 for more offensive roles

CONS:

- He is injury prone, but a beast when healthy (I'd rather have 60~ games of Malone over 82 games of Raymond)

- A little slower than his earlier years, but can still keep up at age 32

- Though he delivers thunderous hits, they can be called as roughing/charging sometimes

- A cap-hit of $4.5 million, though still worth it with his skill set

- I believe he has a limited NMC clause

- 0.5 PPG in the playoffs, but he was incredible when he was with Crosby, so he may be just as good with the Sedins

- Though he is big, not the best penalty killer

- A -42 career plus/minus rating

All in all and overall, I'd like to get Ryan Malone on our team anyway Mike Gillis can. I believe he is a type of forward that would put our offense over the top. Can help out in the top-9, and would be a very good player for the Sedins. Even would be a great player for Kesler's line.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Malone Kesler Booth

Higgins Pahlsson Kassian

Malhotra Lapierre Hansen

OR

Sedin Sedin Malone

Higgins Kesler Booth

Burrows Pahlsson Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Thoughts?

Maybe a 2nd draft pick or a solid prospect gets the job done. Stevie Y is stacking up draft picks so it looks like he's building around Stamkos, Hedman, and a young franchise goaltender when he trades for one. We don't need him though, Kassian should be a solid power forward for years to come and we have Booth, so I don't think we can afford another 4mill cap hit.

Hedman is their Edler, Ballard is underachieving, Raymond is having a below-par season, and Schroeder isn't living up to his potential. Essentially it turns into Hedman, Malone, and a 1st for Schneider, Tanev, and a 2nd. Nice try, but try again.

True to all of that. Except the fact, that over Kassian, Higgins, Raymond and Hansen, he has a lot more experience and is already a guaranteed top-6 player who can perform like one day in and day out. He would also be a player that makes other teams fear the Sedin line with his crunching hits, great puck battles in the corner and a monster in front of the net. He is the guy for the Sedins. Even him on the power play with them might be super great.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I would make that trade for your reasons. Your Pros and Cons nailed it!

- Cory Schneider gives them a #1 for the next 5-15 years (depending on how good Schneid's can get).

- Keith Ballard would help offset the potential loss of Mattias Ohlund and maybe Ballard could get his offensive touch back in the SouthEast.

- Mason Raymond would help out Tampa's top 6 (speed).

- Chris Tanev would give them a solid prospect who could be a solid top 4 shutdown d-man

- Jordan Schroeder could become a top 6 center for them , maybe play on a line alongside Connolly in the future.

- Ryan Malone would add more versatile wingers to our line-up.

- Victor Hedman would become our shutdown defender for years.

I would take out the 1st rounder from the deal. We are giving up arguably two borderline players. I'd rather have Hedman than Ballard and Raymond. Throwing in Schroeder and Tanev is worth it because nobody will give you a franchise d-man for crap.

- Keith Ballard is a high risk high reward player now because of his cap hit (he has only struggled in Vancouver, and still shows flashes of his former self).

- Mason Raymond is a RFA (next to guaranteed for next year). He will either become a top 6 winger or stay as a 3rd line w/top 6 potential. These next two years will define his career.

- Jordan Schroeder is one of the top prospects in the league (players like Hodgson, Paajarvi are not prospects according to me as they have played a handful of NHL games already , more than enough to show that they can play with completely looking out of place). Schroeder has good value.

- Chris Tanev is one of those players who could have some value (like Keith Aulie). Keith Aulie was swapped for Carter Ashton so Tanev most likely has the value...him and Aulie could be a nice shutdown pairing for Tampa Bay in the future.

- The 2nd rounder could actually carry some significant value as well. The way that we are playing right now we could be out in the 1st or 2nd round (Early 50's or Late 40's). If we pick up the play the pick should be one of the last picks in the second round. Tampa Bay is rebuilding so they might find use of the pick. They could snag a player that slid down quite a bit and 2nd rounders by no means are bad picks (Shea Weber, Ondrej Pavelec for example).

I'd happily toss in another pick or make another deal with them but minor deal and overpay for that player.

i have interest in malone but we cant afford him....

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.605m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

Mike Duco ($0.550m) / / Andrew Gordon ($0.537m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Marc-Andre Gragnani ($1.200m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Aaron Rome ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,870,833; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,429,167

3.4 million to spend on a line up which is already pretty filled out and then who haft to factor in that burrows and edler are in for raises next season (burrows will be in the 4-4.5m and edler will be in the 4.5-5.5m range....edler could make 6m+ in free angency)

the cba is gonna screw everyone and everything up....the cap for the start of free agency could be in 69-70m but with the new cba it could be in the high 50's to the low 60's in september.....i know its really messed up and confusing :blink:

priority number one in the off season will be dumping ballard, we need that money to go towards filling out the top 4......shea weber :bigblush:

this teams off season success will be based on what we get in a trade involving schneider....

Malone is a joke, eh?

And are you sure Mike thinks of him that way? I think if he were to look at the bigger picture, he would probably think Malone is the type of player that would make other teams a little tentative when they are on the ice against Malone, especially if he were on with the Sedins.

Guest The Brown Burrows

No, but Jason Botchford does. I don't claim to have the inside scoop or anything, but I'd take his word on it.

Someone who's on the wrong side of 30, on a bad contract, never played a full season, and trending downwards in production isn't who they should be pursuing, especially for Schneider. I would maybe do Ballard for Malone but I'm iffy on that as well.

If Yzerman wants Schneider he's going to have to part with young impact pieces. Connolly and a 1st is a good start.

They just stated on CBC that "The Sedins need someone with size, grit and hands" = Ryan Malone

I'm not going to stop going on about Malone with the Sedins (I will during the playoffs) until it actually happens. He is the player for them. Malone will instantly make the Sedin line feared.

Archived