The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Value Of: Ryan Malone

Scott Hartnell anyone? Younger, healthier, consistent, and a guy that gives it every night. He would probably cost to much, but imagine Sedin-Sedin-Hartnell, sick line. Tanev, Raymond, and a 1st? I dunno, just throwing an idea out there.

Schneider is not worth a Connolly and a 1st (4th overall + Top 10 , I don't think so). Schneider will get us a Varlamov esque package (maybe a little better, but similar). When saying better maybe 2 1st rounders, 1st rounder + above average prospect, or 1st rounder + Overpaid Top 6 forward.

Brett Connolly isn't going anywhere. St. Louis is getting older and Connolly is destined to replace him. They don't have the Cody Hodgson situation so there is no need to trade him.

To the above posters:

I was taking in consideration a few power forwards to try and discuss. Scott Hartnell, Shane Doan, Bobby Ryan, Brenden Morrow, Chris Stewart and even Ryane Clowe. But I feel all of those guys would take a big price to pay for their services.

Ryan Malone on the otherhand, is underrated, does carry a $4.5 million cap-hit and misses about 20~ games per season the last three, so I think his value would be lower than the others mentioned above. But I really feel he could come cheap and he would waive his NMC to come to a contender, because it seems that Tampa Bay is re-building a little bit. He hasn't won a Stanley Cup yet (sorry The Brown Burrows), and I really think he is hungry for one, and would really help the size, grit and skill on this team.

A very underrated player indeed.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Connolly was 6th overall actually. And while the roster situation might not be the same, he compares to Hodgson individually: young forward who has loads of potential, lost a year of development due to injury, and has had a slow start to his NHL career. As I've said elsewhere, Tampa Bay is 11th in goals for, and dead last in goals against. Schneider would be much more valuable to them in the next few years than Connolly and whoever the pick turns out to be, and goaltending is the one thing that is really holding them back as a team. If they can solidify that position, they should. So don't act like it's a bad deal.

Besides, if Yzerman doesn't want to take it than he doesn't have to. It's not like we're forced to trade Schneider to Tampa. The cost to get be is going to be young impact pieces. It makes zero sense to trade him for ageing players.

As you said, Booth can do all of the things Malone can do (play a variety of lines/positions). He also has a higher goals per game average than Malone, is younger, and is (slightly) cheaper. He also consistently generates more scoring chances than Malone does. I definitely would not say he's hurt more often.

But even if you ignore that and say they're equals, do you really think we need to add another expensive forward to the team? The top 6 balance is good as it is. If Gillis wants to add a big ticket, it should be on D.

What's your point here? I'm not supposed to take any journalist seriously because they're trying to sell papers? Who should I listen to then, you? They're at the rink more often than not, and have more access to the team than almost anyone else. But yep, everything they say is fabricated.

After watching the Minnesota/Vancouver game, I can honestly say, that MALONE with the Sedins is looking better and better each game Henrik and Daniel get knocked over, run at, taking liberties and shots from the opponents, slashed on the hands and tripped. MALONE would set the opposition straight. He is fearless.

Please, enough about Ryan Malone. He's 32 with a cap hit of $4.5m for each of the next 3 seasons --- including a NMC through next season --- and any team looking to acquire him will have to wait until 2013-2014 and hope that they're on his list of 12 that he'd accept a trade to. Plus, like pretty much all of the twins linemates, he's yet another lefty. And, did I mention that he is useless with the exception of providing some much-needed muscle? He's even worse than Ryane Clowe and not as attractive an option as, say, Dustin Brown, whose Kings days are numbered, I believe, as long as Rick Nash is still available.

But, Chris Stewart, on the other hand, is only 24, and an RFA this summer with a cap hit of a mere $2.875m by comparison to Malone. Both guys can fight, but, Stewart can still score points when he's not too busy dropping his gloves, unlike Malone. The twins don't need a left-handed enforcer with diminishing or limited offensive skills, but rather a right-handed power forward who can make his presence felt as a deterrent by merely being on the ice. Think Shanahan with the Red Wings. Or Iginla. Guys who have the ability to fight, but, are more useful when concentrating on scoring. THAT is the type of winger the twins need and is exactly the type of player the Canucks scouts have Kassian projected as in a few years time. But, until he's ready to join the top 6, I'd gladly part with Hansen (age 26 with an annual cap hit of $1.3m over the next 2 seasons before UFA status) as the principle Canuck offered to St. Louis to acquire Stewart in a sign-and-trade.

Hansen gets the chance to give the Blues top 6 some missing speed, Stewart gives the Canucks a right-handed power forward for the twins.

MG won't be moving Schnides for anyone over 30 mark my words. Adam Larson would be nice though from the devils they each have just over 60gp he's a right shot 6'4 young d . might take Schnides plus to get him but the devils could really use a blue chip goalie so prob not much plus.

Archived