The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Little Perspective

dura_mater

Terrific post!

I wish some on here would take your points into perspective before they start squawking and demanding Luo's head and Raymond's legs.....I'm thinking his back has something to do with the amount of times he falls, not sure, but somethings up with that..mental maybe.

Placing first and having home ice advantage would be great, but not at the expense of the team sustaining injuries or burning up their energy that will be needed going into the playoffs.... hopefully they finish first in their division and 2nd or 3rd in the WC.

Anyways, this team knows what it's going to take to compete for the SC and, barring any major injuries, I think they have an excellent chance to get there!

I agree with a the OP here, and would like to add to it a bit.

The games they have been losing lately are mostly to teams who are in the playoff race, fighting for the 8th position. We're pretty much guaranteed second place, and it'd be really hard for us to pick up first. Do you think right now, the Canucks are maybe dropping some games to keep that race tight, so the 7th - 8th place teams fight hard right up to the end of the season, and wear themselves out a bit before the playoffs? Might be giving our boys a bit too much credit there, but it's a possibility.

This is BS.

I get all the 'not caring cuz we have a playoff spot' stuff but this team will be facing some tough competition this year come playoff time and i think they realize it and its showing. Many teams in the western conference are alot stronger this season just look at the the standings.

Its gut check time and I think some players on the roster are a little disheartened about what happened last year, maybe a little butt hurt. Well its time to take off the panties and be men. I really hope they do.

This is BS.

I get all the 'not caring cuz we have a playoff spot' stuff but this team will be facing some tough competition this year come playoff time and i think they realize it and its showing. Many teams in the western conference are alot stronger this season just look at the the standings.

Its gut check time and I think some players on the roster are a little disheartened about what happened last year, maybe a little butt hurt. Well its time to take off the panties and be men. I really hope they do.

I was glad to see this thread, because it saved me from having to make one.

These games mean NOTHING....But:

- Booth getting a third serious injury cutting to the net - THAT would mean something.

- Salo re-injuring his shoulder putting 100% into his shot - THAT would mean something.

- Edler aggravating a back injury throwing a big hit like he did last January - THAT would mean something.

- Daniel breaking his foot again standing in the shooting lane to tip a point shot - THAT would mean something.

Another thing I'm glad for is that the Sedins aren't at the top of the scoring race. No need for them to go full-on, playing 25 minutes a night in meaningless trying to pad their stats. I want them taking it easy down the stretch - even taking a game off if they have some bruises.

As much as I have truly enjoyed laughing at all the panic on CDC lately (Raymond sucks, bench the Sedins, fire AV, will the Canucks miss the playoffs? etc etc) I thought I'd remind people of a few things before they start jumping ship. I realise a lot of it is trolling but there are a lot of respected posters going crazy on here.

Standings: the Canucks have, for all intents and purposes, clinched 2nd place in the West.

Don't believe me? Dallas is 3rd with 83 points and 71 GP, while Vancouver has 92 points in 70GP. Let's say Vancouver continues to play at their 4-4-2 pace (last 10 games) and Dallas continues to play at 8-1-1. That gives Dallas 18.7 pts over their remaining games or 102 points and Vancouver 12 pts or 104 points; leaving Vancouver 2nd in the West. If someone told you at the beginning of the season the Canucks would finish with at least 102 points would you care HOW they got there or just be happy they were in a good position for the playoffs?

Importance of points: Zero importance. With the above in mind and the Canucks "gauranteed" 2nd place in the West, the games really don't mean a lot and I can't imagine the players really getting up for them. That and the fact that all the teams fighting for playoff spots are already playing "playoff hockey" just makes it look worse. How would you play if you had the option of saving yourself a little for the playoffs (games that matter) or tiring yourself down playing 100% in tough games against teams clawing for playoff positioning (games that don't matter)? Resting is important.

End of the season: Remember how much of a grind last years playoffs were? Remember how important it was for Boston to go all out in the regular season and win the Presidents Trophy? Or how about how they excelled in their last 10 games of the regular season, going - 6-3-1 for 3rd in the East. How about the Hawks the year before - 6-3-1 2nd in the West. Or Pittsburgh the year before, 7-2-1 4th in the East. The Ducks in 07 - 5-3-2 2nd in the West. Carolina 2006 5-3-2 2nd in the East. The only exception to this is the 08 Red Wings 7-2-1 for first in the league and the Stanley Cup.

Injuries: Have you seen how well some of the top teams are doing with all the injuries they have to deal with? Detroit is missing Howard, Datsyuk, Bertuzzi and is 3-6-1. NYR Callahan, Del Zotto, Drury, Frolov, Lundqvist 6-3-1. Boston, Rask, Pouilot, Bergeron, Savard, Horton, Peverly, McQuaid 4-6-0. Chicago was leading the league at the beginning of January but without Toews they've gone 5-4-1 in their last 10. Do you want the Canucks to play harder? Finish their checks, increase body contact, fight along the boards, all of which put themselves at increased risk of injury?

The Canucks have learned from last year. The regular season means squat. MG knows this, AV knows this, and the players know this. Unfortunately a lot of the fans don't. So before you go hyperventilating and jumping off the wagon when the Canucks continue to lose over the next couple weeks, keep the above in mind and be thankful they will be well rested for the playoffs.

Good post. I understand the point of view and the need for rational observation which is often lacking among many of us.

The thing that would worry me, though, is that when the team claims they need to and WILL step it up for a game, but fail to do that, makes me worry. Perhaps they aren't trying even though they say they will, or perhaps they are putting in an extra effort and are still falling short. If that's the case, then, yes, I am worried.

I don't think people would argue that it's nice to go into the playoffs on a roll. The question is, then, when do you step it up? 10 games before playoffs start? 5? Now? If now, then what's the delay?

Solid points by the OP. Funny how a few losses let all the short-sighted negatrons crawl out of the woodwork. Bottom line is this team, talent-wise, is better than last year and they obviously know what it takes to make a strong playoff push.

Yes, it's more entertaining to watch them roll everyone but I'll settle for a healthy team going into the playoffs.

I agree with a the OP here, and would like to add to it a bit.

The games they have been losing lately are mostly to teams who are in the playoff race, fighting for the 8th position. We're pretty much guaranteed second place, and it'd be really hard for us to pick up first. Do you think right now, the Canucks are maybe dropping some games to keep that race tight, so the 7th - 8th place teams fight hard right up to the end of the season, and wear themselves out a bit before the playoffs? Might be giving our boys a bit too much credit there, but it's a possibility.

Archived