The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recent Slump, Blessing In Disguise?

timberz21

I've always been one those who thought that the favorites going into the playoffs weren't the team with the better standings but rather the teams that had the momentum going into the playoffs (last 10-20 games).

But watching the Montreal Canadiens barely hanging on to the 8th spot a few years back, before eliminating back-to-back Crosby and Ovechkin, and the same year the Flyers clinched the 7th spot on their last game in a shootout, only to lose in the Stanley Cup Finals to the Hawks, got me wondering if it means anything at all.

Now i'm not suggesting the Canucks will win the Cup because they are slumping right now.  But however, their recent slump almost assured St-Louis of the 1st place in the West (unless a major collapse) and with Dallas so far back we are pretty much guaranteed the 2nd spot.

What that means is first of all, chances of facing the Blackhawks this post-season are slim (not before West finals).  Even though, that would be entertaining, the Hawks are deeper this year and better, while we are pretty much the same, and it took us a game 7 overtime to win.  They simply have our number, last year wasn't too convincing.

If we look at the current standing and playoff matchup, assuming we win, if Colorado upset St-Louis, we play Colorado in the 2nd round.  If not, STL would play Chicago in the 2nd round, assuming they beat Dallas.  I would rather play any other team than the Blackhawks. (this is based on the assumption that the Hawks will finish 6th, which is more than probable)

STL (1) vs COL (8)

VAN (2) vs PHO (7)

DAL (3) vs CHI (6)

DET (4) vs NAS (5)

Finally, our recent slump and 2nd seed in the West, would take the pressure of being the clear favorites, that came with the President Trophy and 1st in all statistical category.  We we're the clear favorites in the West, this year it's a real toss up.  STL, Chi, Nas, Det, Van, all those teams wouldn't be a surprise if they make it to the end.

Thoughts,

/topic/325391-a-little-perspective/">http://forum.canucks...le-perspective/

Some similar points. I don't really buy into the pressure of being the Pres Trophy winners though. The Canucks will have a heap of pressure on them regardless of whether they finish first or second. And I'm not too concerned with any of the teams that could potentially slot into 7th or 8th seed. I'd say Vancouver and Detroit are the clear favourites in the West. I'd leave STL and Nash off that list until they've proven something in the playoffs.

The Blues and Preds are the teams to beat in the West. Van is no where close to them right now. The Preds get that Russian back and look out for them! The Canucks do not have a strong part of their game working for them. AV changing the forward lines is understandable but extending that into his d-core is a head scratcher. Defence has been an issue all season IMHO but now puck support by the forwards has dropped off. I don't see the puck possession game with short passes into the offensive zone near enough. I don't see a consistant physical game, especially after taking a lead. To me that is fundamental going into CUP playoffs where physicality is always higher. I simply don't get it when the Yotes can come in and play a better physical game than Van, especially when the Canucks are struggling. It was an ideal time after going up 2 goals to play a shutdown game to build confidence.

It appears to me that Van coaching thinks that last year was a series of unfortunate incidences. Bounces, reffing and injuries conspired for defeat. The physical game is the one serious aspect of hockey that this roster has not incorporated into its game. The Habs had it in the '70's and the Islanders and Oilers had it in their runs. Gillis has flirted with adding physicality but expecting a 21 year old to deliver for the entire team won't work. The concept has to be thru the roster. I don't see it.

Right now, there's about 8 teams in the Western Conference who are playing at playoff intensity as they fight to make the playoffs. The Canucks can match that tempo and be drained come May or coast a bit right now and pick it up come May. I'll pick the latter.

Do you think the best teams in the league, Detroit/Boston/Vancouver have all of a sudden just lost their ability and desire to win? They're pacing themselves.

The playoffs is a whole other story. I just hope the Sedins can find their magic soon. It feels weird watching them pass to each other and nothing connecting. It seems like they lost their connection.

The playoffs are about two things, really:

1) Trending at the right time

2) Staying healthy

That's really it. Tim Thomas stood on his effing dome last year, and this year he sucks. Halak was godly for Montreal in their run, and then had a so-so year following in St. Louis, but is beast-moding it this year.

It's just a matter of getting hot at the right time, being able to up your level of intensity during the playoffs, and a team staying healthy.

Boston just managed to peak at the absolute perfect time, and they stayed healthy throughout the playoffs, something the Canucks could not say they did.

If you're going to say the recent slump is a blessing in disguise because of the standing situation, then I don't buy it at all. The standings change daily. Colorado went from 11th to 7th last night after the SO win against Buffalo - by the way, Landeskog is a real deal. The kid is going to be so great - and went down to 8th in roughly 2 hours because Coyotes won.

Two games slide by the Star would bring them down to 7th and Coyotes can easily claim 3rd. San Jose, Calgary and LA all enter and exit the top 8 daily. Chicago can easily drop to 7th as well because they're only 3 points ahead of Coyotes and it looks like Phoenix is building up quite a bit of momentum lately. If that ends up happening, the slump wouldn't be a blessing at all.

There really is no excuse for the poor plays these days but people aren't too upset only because consequences aren't really there. There's nothing good about this slump. We need to get out of it sooner than later.

Yeah, I am not worried about this team. I was at the game last night. They werent being aggessive they were totally waiting for the play. Thats not the Canucks team that will show up in the playoffs. These guys know what it takes to be there. Theyve been stun so badly by losing in game 7 and they know how much energy and effort was needed to win. I bet you the Canucks go on the road win all the road games and we willl all be like "what slump" we are going to win the cup?

The guys have been home way too long, they are complacent with their placement in the standings, they have nothing to prove this year. They have played a lot of hockey and they are preparing themselves for the long haul.

If we can get Raymond to stay on his feet though...

How are we unlikely to play the Hawks this post-season??? They're currently in 6th, with Phoenix only 3 points behind them... anything can happen still. Very possible we get them first round. Chances are slim that we'd play the BLUES before the west final, not the Hawks. Also, the Hawks aren't "deeper" than last year, their defense is shotty with both Keith and Seabrook having off years, and their goaltending has been horrendous, as opposed to Crawford's breakout season last year.

How are we unlikely to play the Hawks this post-season??? They're currently in 6th, with Phoenix only 3 points behind them... anything can happen still. Very possible we get them first round. Chances are slim that we'd play the BLUES before the west final, not the Hawks. Also, the Hawks aren't "deeper" than last year, their defense is shotty with both Keith and Seabrook having off years, and their goaltending has been horrendous, as opposed to Crawford's breakout season last year.

The Canucks with Luongo in the net will be golfing in April. This team is nothing more than a middle of the road, disorganized bunch with a goalie who is a major weak spot on this team. All you die hard, girly type hockey fans are dead wrong.

The Canucks with Luongo in the net will be golfing in April. This team is nothing more than a middle of the road, disorganized bunch with a goalie who is a major weak spot on this team. All you die hard, girly type hockey fans are dead wrong.

Really? Is being "the clear favorite" added pressure? Especially if you finish only a point or two ahead of the next team?

Do you actually think players approach a game by saying "OOOOOOOHHHH, we won the President's Trophy. I'm not sure I can handle the expectations now."

If you're going to say the recent slump is a blessing in disguise because of the standing situation, then I don't buy it at all. The standings change daily. Colorado went from 11th to 7th last night after the SO win against Buffalo - by the way, Landeskog is a real deal. The kid is going to be so great - and went down to 8th in roughly 2 hours because Coyotes won.

Two games slide by the Star would bring them down to 7th and Coyotes can easily claim 3rd. San Jose, Calgary and LA all enter and exit the top 8 daily. Chicago can easily drop to 7th as well because they're only 3 points ahead of Coyotes and it looks like Phoenix is building up quite a bit of momentum lately. If that ends up happening, the slump wouldn't be a blessing at all.

There really is no excuse for the poor plays these days but people aren't too upset only because consequences aren't really there. There's nothing good about this slump. We need to get out of it sooner than later.

Archived