The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth Trade

mbal23

Guest AriGold

Im a huge booth fan and love the trade. I think we will see a different linemate for Booth and kesler next season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ___

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Kassian - Malholtra - ____ ?

The Booth trade renewed my interest into the Canucks. It showed that the Canucks are serious about winning because coming into the season it looked like the team was the same minus Ehrhoff. Gone are the days of desperation rumours of acquiring Jokinen or Brunnstrom.

The booth goal the last game where higgy shot the puck purposely to force smith to make a kick save which rebounded right to Booth. This is a play tha this line should continue to use.

As each player on the line is a shooter it makes sense to have one player advance deeper towards the net almost before the shot is taken. This way the goalie is forced to make a save but that save ends up as a juicy rebound onto one of the Amex stick. A hard play to defend as the dman is forced to commit to either the shooter or the player crashing the net early. A good way to draw penalties at the very least.

I'm surprised that this hadn't been done more often. I was expecting more chemistry between booth and kes. More quick short passes, give and goes etc. but kes seems to want to continually shoot from the top of the circle or beat three defenders and booth generally just uses his speed to go wide on the d and cut hard to the net. A gutsy yet low percentage play. As well one of these days a smart dman will read this , come across and level booth. A d like Doughty for example.

This is a good trade for both teams. Florida was done with Booth and he was playing poorly on that team. His contract was big and long and they didn't want him anymore. Reinprecht was buried in the minors. The Canucks got rid of an awful off-season signing and an aging veteran that they can re-sign in the off-season anyway.

Booth has been good to decent. Someone previously said he would have 25 goals if he had not been injured but that's a very high estimate. To think he would have scored 11 in 20 games doesn't seem realistic. He has 14 in 50. I think he has potential but he seems to only be noticed when he comes in hard off the wing. He is pretty good but I wonder how much patience fans have for him if he keeps getting 20 goal 40 point seasons. Beyond his abilities he seems like an awesome guy to have on a team.

Sturm is a throw away.

Samuelsson has been great for the Panthers since coming back from injury and offers up lots for that team. Especially when it comes to the playoffs. A place lots of Panthers have never been before.

I think it's a wash. Panthers have lots of cap space and salary coming off the books and the Canucks got a player and a draft pick they need. Reinprecht is like Sturm. A throw away. Barring injury I doubt the Canucks see him in the playoffs.

If he doesn't have a bigger upside than Martin Gelinas then he is way, way ,way overpaid.

"Flashes of".

To clarify - I meant I see similar styles at times in how they skate with and defend the puck and drive to the net. Creates chaos.

Don't discount Marty - he had back to back pretty good seasons with us where he was a 30+ goal scorer (with plenty of assists). 68 points in 74 games isn't too shabby (especially during a time when guys could literally ride your back to the net). Sure, the speed now is incrediblely faster than back then, but it was a personal observation, that's all.

Archived