The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth Trade

mbal23

We won the trade. Clearly. Florida just wanted to dump salary and term. They won't re-sign Sammy and Sturm. They want their contracts off the books.That why they settled for them.

Meanwhile Booth has been pretty effective for us. He does something we need and will especially need in the playoffs: Goes to the net.

Booth will last longer than either of those guys. They should help with some offensive depth for sure, but Booth is a very legitimate 2nd liner for us and will be around for longer, because he's younger.

I think everyone realizes that we gave up a great player in Samuelsson. I don't think there's much of a debate there.

But the reason we won the trade is because we traded two players at the ends of their careers, for a 27 year old power forward who is likely just entering his prime. His cap hit may seem a bit high, but if he scores 30 goals and 60 points next season, which I think he can, it's a pretty good deal.

Both sides got what they wanted. It was just a good ol' hockey trade.

This is a good trade for both teams. Florida was done with Booth and he was playing poorly on that team. His contract was big and long and they didn't want him anymore. Reinprecht was buried in the minors. The Canucks got rid of an awful off-season signing and an aging veteran that they can re-sign in the off-season anyway.

Booth has been good to decent. Someone previously said he would have 25 goals if he had not been injured but that's a very high estimate. To think he would have scored 11 in 20 games doesn't seem realistic. He has 14 in 50. I think he has potential but he seems to only be noticed when he comes in hard off the wing. He is pretty good but I wonder how much patience fans have for him if he keeps getting 20 goal 40 point seasons. Beyond his abilities he seems like an awesome guy to have on a team.

Sturm is a throw away.

Samuelsson has been great for the Panthers since coming back from injury and offers up lots for that team. Especially when it comes to the playoffs. A place lots of Panthers have never been before.

I think it's a wash. Panthers have lots of cap space and salary coming off the books and the Canucks got a player and a draft pick they need. Reinprecht is like Sturm. A throw away. Barring injury I doubt the Canucks see him in the playoffs.

This trade was about speed and athleticism; Booth gets about the same points as Samuelsson who added playmaking & savvy.

It's also about youth, Samuelsson missed most of the playoff's last year with, sort of, worn out player syndrome injuries.

Hard to question the trade; but some compnents of Sammy's game would help right now (if he was, and stays, healthy).

Ok so I wanna know what you guys think of the trade now looking at Floridas spot in the east because a lot of us were rofling at them for letting go of booth for Samuelson and sturm. I think both teams got exactly what they needed and all players with the big club are contributing. Florida is one point out of second in the east and ready for their first playoffs in forever

Both teams got what they wanted. Kes finally gets to stop being a helicopter (he still does drive the net solo but at least the other two big boys are there in Booth and Higgins) plus we get the 3rd rounder AND Sturm's gone! I would've waived him lol

What surprises me though is how well the Panthers' UFAs and trade acquisitions really gelled together; after dumping all their trash turns out Dale Tallon found some gold after all. Heck he's even better than Ken Holland in picking up guys who weren't necessarily working out or having the best seasons and giving them good roles.

e.g.

Fleischmann (rebounded from his pulmonary problem)

Versteeg (talented Philly castoff when the Flyers needed money to sign guys)

Sammy (gave him up for Booth, he would've been welcomed here still)

Kopecky (got him for a 7th to reconstruct what was working in Chicago with the existent Hawks contingent)

Campbell (overpriced D-man who the Hawks needed to lose so the Cats bought low on for Rusty Olesz)

Theodore (Ex-starter turned Wild backup turned starter)

Wolski (picked up for cheap from the Rangers, now he's on the 1st line while Versteeg's out)

Goc and Bergenheim (let go from their respective teams (Predators, Lightning) as UFA's though Sean was a playoff scorer and now he's getting his chance here; heck Goc gets PP opportunities now)

plus they have young guys who can come up soon (e.g. Huberdeau, Howden, Markstrom...) so this is a good veteran foundation that they can build off of.

Booth is a beast

does most things right, drives to the net, and isn't lazy backchecking. I don't even know why AV benched him for a few games because he's been our best player since January Hodgson and a healthy Higgins. He's fearless out there but I'm scared that someone will headhunt him some time in the future when he cuts hard to the net.

KNOCK ON WOOD

This is a good trade for both teams. Florida was done with Booth and he was playing poorly on that team. His contract was big and long and they didn't want him anymore. Reinprecht was buried in the minors. The Canucks got rid of an awful off-season signing and an aging veteran that they can re-sign in the off-season anyway.

Booth has been good to decent. Someone previously said he would have 25 goals if he had not been injured but that's a very high estimate. To think he would have scored 11 in 20 games doesn't seem realistic. He has 14 in 50. I think he has potential but he seems to only be noticed when he comes in hard off the wing. He is pretty good but I wonder how much patience fans have for him if he keeps getting 20 goal 40 point seasons. Beyond his abilities he seems like an awesome guy to have on a team.

Sturm is a throw away.

Samuelsson has been great for the Panthers since coming back from injury and offers up lots for that team. Especially when it comes to the playoffs. A place lots of Panthers have never been before.

I think it's a wash. Panthers have lots of cap space and salary coming off the books and the Canucks got a player and a draft pick they need. Reinprecht is like Sturm. A throw away. Barring injury I doubt the Canucks see him in the playoffs.

I still can't believe MG pulled this off. Imagine if he pulled this off in the same trade?

Vancouver receives: David Booth + Kris Versteeg + Steve Reinprecht + 2013 3rd rounder (Van)

Florida receives: Mikael Samuelsson + Marco Sturm + Mason Raymond + 2012 2nd rounder (Van)

One can dream right?

Archived