The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Anyone Believe In Time Travel And Teleportation?

Strangeone

As fun as the ideas behind teleportation and time travel are, I just don't see how they could ever be reality.

The idea of digitizing an entire object and transmitting it somewhere (or when) else to be reassembled will have to stay as science fiction. Besides, doesn't it mean that the original copy needs to be destroyed in the process? It would be like a fax machine where the original is shredded and burned as it passes through the machine.

That's a pretty dismissive attitude. The idea behind Jurassic Park isn't all that farfetched (granted, if we were to clone dinosaurs, I doubt that featuring them in an amusement park would be our next priority).

Yes, it's fiction now. In a hundred years? Who knows. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

As fun as the ideas behind teleportation and time travel are, I just don't see how they could ever be reality.

The idea of digitizing an entire object and transmitting it somewhere (or when) else to be reassembled will have to stay as science fiction.  Besides, doesn't it mean that the original copy needs to be destroyed in the process?  It would be like a fax machine where the original is shredded and burned as it passes through the machine.

I wouldn't discount anything at this point, we're only maybe 20 years from the point where increasingly intelligent machines are going to start outperforming humans when it comes to driving science and technology, once that ball gets rollin' technological advancement will be so rapid that any comparison to earlier eras will be meaningless.

So apparently, there is a lecture on April 22nd on Time Travel and Teleportation.

Id be fascinated to see what this guy has to say about teleportation in the transport industry. IS IT POSSIBLE in our lifetime!!??

As I have a dial up web connection I'm not going to look for it but:

1 of the more prestigious universities down below the 49 th parralell claims to have "transported" a proton or electron from one side of a room to the other.Saying it is the same particle. Think it was Harvard-my other guess would be MIT.Bout a year ago now IIRC.

Archived