The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider In For Saturday

sampy

I hope Schneids gets a shutout and goes on a streak maybe this will motivate Luongo to be even better and we'll see how it goes. We have two great goalies but Schneider has proven he can play in big pressure games vs Boston, Chicago and Winnipeg. Can't wait to see what happens before the playoffs

I absolutley despise the people who blame everything on Luongo, and only come out of their holes when he's in a funk like he is now. Whereas when Schneider lets in a softie/plays bad, the Luongo haters brush it by like nothing happened. This also why we are hated around the league. Because idiots like the one's on CDC, only s**t on Luongo. Pathetic :picard:

I don't understand why people say this. Obviously if Luongo is playing good, he deserves credit for his stellar play (for example, that excellent month before these last 5 games). So when he's playing well, why would you expect to see people 'hate' on him?

Honestly, people just love to use the word "hater". Oh Lu's winning, where are the haters? I begin to wonder if people realize criticism is not a form of extreme hate. Yes, there are some people that hate Luongo - but the majority of people on this board criticize him only when he's playing poorly because he deserves to be criticized (NOT bashed, but 'constructively' criticized).

I love how Lou supporters admit that Lou plays bad vs certain teams, cant they see this is from his mental instability problem hes had for the last 3-4 years? Corey can play any team any time and we know we will get a consistent result.

If the starting goalie job of Vancouver is to be earned, not anointed, there would not be so much arguments here and that would be the best for the team. But it was Cloutier then and now it is Luongo, both famous playoff chokers in the NHL, who are given the opportunities to blow series after series and this organisation never learns from mistakes. Luongo was just one goal away from blowing the NHL worst 3 games series lead last year. The Sedins are already showing signs of decline from their prime yhis season and if Luongo is again the designated goalie in the playoffs, the Canucks will be out in the 1st or 2nd round and this team will talk about rebuild in 2 to 3 years time.

I'd hardly call Luongo a playoff choker. He was spectacular in his first two playoff series. He's been great in a HUGE majority. He had problems against Chicago, but VANCOUVER had problems against Chicago. They ate Luongo alive with rebounds and net play, which the Canuck defense and team as a whole could do nothing for.

Take away Chicago, and the only blemish is Boston. And even then, he had two shutouts, when our team did nothing in terms of offense.

So again, how can you really say he's a choker? Chicago at the time was pretty much the best team in the league, and coming off a season where they WON the SCF after beating Vancouver. They played Vancouver extremely well. Then he got to game 7 of the SCF, with two shutouts. Going into game 3 where they got lit up, there was talk of him being a Conn Smythe candidate. The team imploded around him. He wasn't great in 4 of the games, but he showed up huge in three. No other canuck in that series can say the same. Call him inconsistent, but compared to the rest of the team? He did his share.

^^^^^

\He also gave them the game winning goal if I remember correctly.

Both goalies are fine. If the boys don't win it this year its time afor a hard hard hockey decision. I say trade lu (yes you can trade him) just strickly to save some goalie money and get younger on the back end. Sign Schneids at 3.75 for 5 years, Lose Ballard and Malhotra and all of a sudden there is 9 mil ish in cap space Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter.

Edler Suter

Hamhuis Bieksa

Tanev Salo

Grags

Luongo: 18th in save %, 22nd in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Schneider: 3rd in save %, 6th in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Save % is more of an individual stat than GAA. What this shows is that the Canucks are a better team with Schneider in net. The save % shows that Lou is a less than average goalie, while Schneider is among the elite.

Lou should be watching the the majority of the remaining regular season games and in the playoffs - from the bench.

Glad to hear this. Would like to see Schneider get about half of the remaining games until the playoffs begin. It's not a goalie controversy thing but more about keeping the team sharp mentally, which playing Schneider seems to accomplish, for whatever reason. Luongo has been amazing for us most of this year, and a bit of rest won't hurt him.

This was obviously needed for luongo to have some time off and clear his head. Schneider playing well in this game will be awesome for 2 reasons: 1) Lou will be reminded (again) that his job doesn't have to be as secure as it is. 2) We get to showcase just how good Corey actually is to the BJ's, first round pick (possibly first overall with how Columbus is playing) for schneiders rights this summer?

I'd hardly call Luongo a playoff choker. He was spectacular in his first two playoff series. He's been great in a HUGE majority. He had problems against Chicago, but VANCOUVER had problems against Chicago. They ate Luongo alive with rebounds and net play, which the Canuck defense and team as a whole could do nothing for.

Take away Chicago, and the only blemish is Boston. And even then, he had two shutouts, when our team did nothing in terms of offense.

So again, how can you really say he's a choker? Chicago at the time was pretty much the best team in the league, and coming off a season where they WON the SCF after beating Vancouver. They played Vancouver extremely well. Then he got to game 7 of the SCF, with two shutouts. Going into game 3 where they got lit up, there was talk of him being a Conn Smythe candidate. The team imploded around him. He wasn't great in 4 of the games, but he showed up huge in three. No other canuck in that series can say the same. Call him inconsistent, but compared to the rest of the team? He did his share.

Archived