Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Schneider In For Saturday

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#31 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Even if the Canucks win big against CBJ on Saturday, it doesn't mean that the Canucks have bumped the slump. I'll wait and see how this team plays against the Hawks and the Stars next week.

#32 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

a goalie controversy is the last thing this team needs right now, throw shneids in for a game, get the win, get the momentem for the next game, and put luo against minnisota

You can't avoid a controversy by pretending there isn't one. LU is playing BAD! Cory is playing GREAT! If that continues for a few more games, the controversy is real whether you like it or not...in fact, the controversy already is real.

Lu is being given every opportunity to prove he deserves to carry the team which, considering his position is appropriate. If he does not actually start earning the starts, it is his own fault and the ownership and management should (and I hope will) do what gives the team the best chance to win even if that means sitting Lu.

#33 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

After Schneider wins on Sat AV will go with Lou all because "He's our guy" Yes I know Lou is bad in Minny but... "Lou is our guy"

I wish he hadnn't been our guy in the SCF last year. shneids would have won us the cup.

#34 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,503 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

So let's say Schneider goes on a bit of a streak here... Would you keep riding him until/through the playoffs? Or give Luongo a chance to get a rythym going before the playoffs start?

The Canucks have 5 games coming up in the next 8 days. I think it's safe to say that both 'keepers will see some action.I'm actually surprised that Schneider is starting tomorrow. I thought Lou would get another chance to get his game back against a relatively weak CBJ team, especially at home.With Chicago and Dallas back to back in the middle of next week, it seems likely that Luongo will start in Minny, a place where he has always had trouble...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#35 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Its really hard to know whats up with lou....Melanson had him playing great goal last season...but for some reason he got off track in the playoffs...won some games on his ability but left the technical bits out... this year he has same coach but has not utilized the same methods that were so rewarding last year.. he reverts to bad habits when under pressure and thats never more evident than when the play is near the blue paint.
Lou needs to keep it simple. he overplays the puck. over anxious I think. He doesn;t need to"flash the leather" thats grandstanding and hes done that all his life. He needs to square up, play the angles and let the puck hit him...and either cover up or direct the puck to corners. I sometimes wonder if its his eyes that are the problem because hes often late picking up the puck.
Playing it simple is what is so successful for Schneider...nothing fancy...just solid fundamentals. Thus, he makes a lot less flashy saves than Lou because his saves are easier.
I have no idea how to fix Lou...its like the chicken and the egg...what comes first..confidence or technique with him.

#36 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

You can't avoid a controversy by pretending there isn't one. LU is playing BAD! Cory is playing GREAT! If that continues for a few more games, the controversy is real whether you like it or not...in fact, the controversy already is real.

Lu is being given every opportunity to prove he deserves to carry the team which, considering his position is appropriate. If he does not actually start earning the starts, it is his own fault and the ownership and management should (and I hope will) do what gives the team the best chance to win even if that means sitting Lu.

Ya but AV says "Lou is our guy" and we all know how stubborn he is.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#37 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ya but AV says "Lou is our guy" and we all know how stubborn he is.

i just had a horrible flashback to game 3 of the SCF last year......shudder

#38 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Problem is , that even if Schnieds wins and plays great, the die hard Luongo followers will come back with " it was only vs Columbus, anyone could win the easy one"

#39 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Plenty of rest, sick team itching to get their game back, Columbus? I think a shutout is in order.

#40 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

If Schneiderman goes in and pitches a shutout, things will be starting to get interesting.

If their recent performance trends continue, there's certainly enough time left in the season for Corey to take over the #1 job. But I expect Lu to snap out of it soon.

Considering we;re playing the worst team in the league it's not that unlikely that Schneider will get a shutout, him and Luongo both have a GAA of around 1 against Columbus, i think Luongo's is actually less than 1.

#41 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Problem is , that even if Schnieds wins and plays great, the die hard Luongo followers will come back with " it was only vs Columbus, anyone could win the easy one"

it depends, if we win like 5-0 and columbus gets less than 20 shots then you can't really say it was cause of Schneider. However if we win something like 1-0 or 2-1 and they get 30+ that's another story

#42 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,103 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Considering we;re playing the worst team in the league it's not that unlikely that Schneider will get a shutout, him and Luongo both have a GAA of around 1 against Columbus, i think Luongo's is actually less than 1.

Yeah, but if Cory gets the shutout, and then Lu loses the next few letting in around 5 each time, how long can AV keep Shneider out?

But like I said earlier, I expect Luongo will snap out of it, and get back to some stellar play. But if he doesn't...it will be interesting!

PBF131-Lord_Gloom.jpg?1361362669

#43 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm hoping it's a showcase of next years starter.

I'm hoping they make a pitch for Yakupov by tempting Howson with Schneider.
The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#44 Edler's Broken Stickz

Edler's Broken Stickz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Some of the stuff you guys are saying are absolutely ridiculous... Schneider's a great back up goalie and all but you all make it sound like he's the next jesus christ. According to almost everyone in cdc Schneider can do no wrong... we win its because of his awesome goaltending, we lose its because the team sucked, if he lets in a softie people blow it off like he let in a laser for stamkos. Luongo on the other hand when we win its because the team played great and luo sucked, we lose its luo fault, we win when he makes ~40 saves team played great, we lose when he makes 40 saves bench luo he sucked.

Schneider's the greatest back up we have ever had but I just can't bring myself to stand behind someone who has accomplished very little in his career.

#45 mug_costanza

mug_costanza

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Would have been a good game for Luongo to get his confidence back against the worst team in the league.

As a Toyota fan, I'm sure you know a thing or two about trying to regain your confidence.
T-Bone 2.0

#46 Cigano

Cigano

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

If Schneiderman goes in and pitches a shutout, things will be starting to get interesting.

If their recent performance trends continue, there's certainly enough time left in the season for Corey to take over the #1 job. But I expect Lu to snap out of it soon.

A shutout against CBJ isn't going to say much. I think just let Schnieder get a lot of games and get Lu in for 5-6 at least to get him going. Early in the season Schnieder ran with a few games and Lu came back strong.
Posted Image
credit to VINTAGE CANUCK

#47 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Some of the stuff you guys are saying are absolutely ridiculous... Schneider's a great back up goalie and all but you all make it sound like he's the next jesus christ. According to almost everyone in cdc Schneider can do no wrong... we win its because of his awesome goaltending, we lose its because the team sucked, if he lets in a softie people blow it off like he let in a laser for stamkos. Luongo on the other hand when we win its because the team played great and luo sucked, we lose its luo fault, we win when he makes ~40 saves team played great, we lose when he makes 40 saves bench luo he sucked.

Schneider's the greatest back up we have ever had but I just can't bring myself to stand behind someone who has accomplished very little in his career.

You sound a little hurt.

For every Schneider fan who is unreasonable there is at least one Lu fan who reacts the same way.

Check out their stats and watch the games objectively and you may understand why some of us are nervous with how Lu plays (at times) and feel more confident with Cory in net.

Lu had potential but no accomplishments early in his career too and was given the chance to prove himself. The same holds true for every current starter in the league many of whom stole the starting position by out-performing what was the starting goalie for thier team.

Cory has shown he can win big, pressure-packed games (Boston, Chicago) so he deserves a chance to show he is ready for the next step if Lu isn't getting it done.

If you want to construe that as anti-Lu, then you are not to be reasoned with.

#48 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hater,,Bandwagoner.
Is what people who believe more in Schneider than Lou are called.

#49 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

How exactly can Schneider even accomplish anything in his career when he is a "back up" ? If CS is given a chance, boy oh boy will he accomplish a lot in his career, he'll even get one thing that this team hasn't gotten till now, a Stanley Cup.

Edited by JeffTambo10, 16 March 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Posted Image

#50 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

So Lou has had 4-5 bad games now following a span of about 20 games where he was really the only reason we were tight in games despite coming out with no heart at all and playing 10 minutes a game. Yet, he needs to earn the next start after only losing 4 games? When the team itself is playing like crap for so long at some point the goalie who is carrying them is going to have a rough patch. I absolutely agree with starting Schneider tomorrow however and I think he will do fine. Luongo is in a mini slump, and more importantly the team needs a change to wake them the hell up. If Luongo plays 20 good ones people forget the moment he has a bad one. It's the usual thing. Hows about everyone look at it realistically and see that the team is playing bad and so is the goalie, theres 12 games to go to get it in order for the playoffs and that's it.

Many of you extol the virtues of Schneider as if they are proven. He has been amazing this year and has had few bad games, albeit he has had some as all goalies do. But he has yet to prove anything aside from being good enough to be tried at a starter somewhere. You all seem to forget that Halak had a streak of games as the backup in the PLAYOFFS that everyone took note of and has yet to do anything with a larger workload than a 1b. Some goalies don't play well with a lot of games at the NHL level. All we know about Schneider is how well he plays angles and moves, and that over a short span he is reliable. He has NOT been tested over a full season and the Canucks are not a bottom feeder who can play around with goalies. Also he has a playoff start that...let's just say its one of his bad games.

That far from absolves Luongo of blame. He has been very up and down during the playoffs in the past. Not necessarily in the first round but in further rounds. As for the season, there is no comparison. Lou is 3rd all time in regular season save percentage and has had a level of consistency that none of his peers have had (peers being people drafted a few years either way of him). He has had 4-5 bad games now. That's it. Can anyone here point out 4-5 bad games from the Sedins, or from Kesler, or from the defense? I could point out 10+ for each. Frankly I don't see all the other struggling elite teams crapting on their goalie when it is the TEAM that is struggling, but I guess this is the goalie graveyard for a reason.

I would not be against starting Schneider cold into a game in the playoffs if Luongo was legitimately the primary reason we lost the game before (not last game, but I would point to a couple others in the last 5 where yea...he was). If he plays strong then it's interesting who starts the next one but it is not automatically Cory or Lou either in my opinion. But that's me. I do not think it wrong to go back to Lou or to play Schneider another one either. I am not a Luongo apologist but I'm not part of this Schneider circle jerk either. If Schneids has proven anything, it's that he can start cold and play perfectly, not that he can carry a team over an 82 game schedule or a playoff run. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Edited by geebster, 16 March 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#51 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

No, We need Luo to play after cory plays on saturday, no riding schneider right now, were too close to the playoffs.. please.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#52 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

MG usually never says anything in an interview he doesn't mean 100% if he says Luo is #1 I believe him. If you watch his interviews before deadlines and after trades and during off seasons dispite constant speculation by fans and media he as far as I know has never said anything and done the opposite.

#53 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,182 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Automatic Win!

307mg00.jpg

#54 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

What i'm more interested in seeing is how the defense will react to Schneider starting in net...

#55 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I wish he hadnn't been our guy in the SCF last year. shneids would have won us the cup.

Yeah because he would gone and scored more than 8 goals in the entire series for us right?
There was more to the loss than just goaltending
If it wasn't for Roberto getting 2 shutouts we probably would have lost the series in 4 or 5 games

I
Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#56 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

MG usually never says anything in an interview he doesn't mean 100% if he says Luo is #1 I believe him. If you watch his interviews before deadlines and after trades and during off seasons dispite constant speculation by fans and media he as far as I know has never said anything and done the opposite.

:lol:

MG is a smart man that knows how to deal with a crazy fanbase. You don't throw out doubt even if you have any.

If you've never doubted what he says then he's doing a damn good job.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 16 March 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#57 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,171 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

whats their excuse for lu the last game against the habs then? couldnt the same argument be made?
the reality is the whole team will probably play better on saturday....
does the team play better when schneider is in net? and if so i wonder why?

You can view all of my CDC artwork in this thread:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

Follow me on Twitter:  @Toni_Zamboni

#58 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Canucks will win by at least 4 im thinking.

Im going so they better...

I thought that last game.. then look what happened..

Im saying the Nuck win 3-2, But just cause its Columbus, anyone else and we lose.

zackass.png

#59 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

I absolutley despise the people who blame everything on Luongo, and only come out of their holes when he's in a funk like he is now. Whereas when Schneider lets in a softie/plays bad, the Luongo haters brush it by like nothing happened. This also why we are hated around the league. Because idiots like the one's on CDC, only s**t on Luongo. Pathetic :picard:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#60 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Im not trying to suggest schnieder isn't as good as he is cause hes definetly good but is it just me or since the Boston Game as schnieder gotten some of the Less important/Easier starts?

zackass.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.