Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Schneider In For Saturday

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#61 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

.............In all Honesty IMO the ENTIRE team is "waiting" for the Playoff's....as we ALL saw last year,there is really ONLY 1 truly important game and that is Winning game # 16 of the Playoff's....and I hope and pray (almost literally) that my "opinion" turns out to be the true reason for the inconsistent play so far this season.......waiting

photo-49848.jpgTyrEnkiduSignatureGrey1.gifcanucksminisig.gif

#62 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Schneider better be ready. Canucks love playing poorly against bottom feeders.

Posted Image

#63 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

First time I'm gonna say this, but thank got Schneids is starting... not hating on Louie or anything but he needs some rest, coming off some worst performances by him as of late.
Sig too big.

#64 IslandVanFan

IslandVanFan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I love how Lou supporters admit that Lou plays bad vs certain teams, cant they see this is from his mental instability problem hes had for the last 3-4 years? Corey can play any team any time and we know we will get a consistent result.

#65 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, let's go boys!
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#66 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I love how Lou supporters admit that Lou plays bad vs certain teams, cant they see this is from his mental instability problem hes had for the last 3-4 years? Corey can play any team any time and we know we will get a consistent result.

And how do we know that?

#67 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I hope Schneids gets a shutout and goes on a streak maybe this will motivate Luongo to be even better and we'll see how it goes. We have two great goalies but Schneider has proven he can play in big pressure games vs Boston, Chicago and Winnipeg. Can't wait to see what happens before the playoffs

If he does, I hope it will motivate the whole team. :towel:

#68 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,716 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Play each goalie until they lose.

I have always been a fan of this system when you've got a 1A/1B situation

#69 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

1-0 Columbus instead of 5-0

#70 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

I absolutley despise the people who blame everything on Luongo, and only come out of their holes when he's in a funk like he is now. Whereas when Schneider lets in a softie/plays bad, the Luongo haters brush it by like nothing happened. This also why we are hated around the league. Because idiots like the one's on CDC, only s**t on Luongo. Pathetic :picard:

I don't understand why people say this. Obviously if Luongo is playing good, he deserves credit for his stellar play (for example, that excellent month before these last 5 games). So when he's playing well, why would you expect to see people 'hate' on him?

Honestly, people just love to use the word "hater". Oh Lu's winning, where are the haters? I begin to wonder if people realize criticism is not a form of extreme hate. Yes, there are some people that hate Luongo - but the majority of people on this board criticize him only when he's playing poorly because he deserves to be criticized (NOT bashed, but 'constructively' criticized).

When Luongo's playing well, I give him all the credit he deserves - but when he has a horrible game, I'm not going to sit there and say "oh well" - I'll wonder and dissect why he had a bad game. So in the realm of CDC where you're either a Luongo lover or hater (because for whatever reason we can't like the guy but still criticize him when he plays poorly) - does that make me a 'hater'?

I don't mean to direct this post at you, it's probably for the whole board - but I just hate this giant Luongo debate. Why can't we like Luongo, but still be able to question his play? We do it with other players on the team. It just seems that whenever anything negative is said about Luongo's play - the entire thread just becomes a petty back and forth.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my opinion - I normally avoid posting in goaltending threads but I just felt compelled to write something this time. :unsure:

Anyways, I'm happy that Schneider is getting a game in. Maybe if he wins, AV should give him a couple more starts and the internal competition would be good for Luongo. It certainly worked earlier in the season and Lu played amazing.

#71 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I don't understand why people say this. Obviously if Luongo is playing good, he deserves credit for his stellar play (for example, that excellent month before these last 5 games). So when he's playing well, why would you expect to see people 'hate' on him?

Honestly, people just love to use the word "hater". Oh Lu's winning, where are the haters? I begin to wonder if people realize criticism is not a form of extreme hate. Yes, there are some people that hate Luongo - but the majority of people on this board criticize him only when he's playing poorly because he deserves to be criticized (NOT bashed, but 'constructively' criticized).

I can't speak for everyone but I don't mind when people objectively criticize Luongo. I don't think he's perfect. (far from it the past 5 games.)

Still, considering the season (and his career with the Canucks) he does receive (in my opinion) an undue amount of negativity from certain fans when he doesn't play up to the high level we're used to.

Edited by ilduce39, 17 March 2012 - 01:54 AM.

T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#72 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

like when he let in 3 goals on 5 shots against Nashville?

if you put Schneider in for 60 games in a season he'll have his share of crappy games, it happens to every goalie Schneider is no different

Edited by Tm085, 17 March 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#73 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

If the starting goalie job of Vancouver is to be earned, not anointed, there would not be so much arguments here and that would be the best for the team. But it was Cloutier then and now it is Luongo, both famous playoff chokers in the NHL, who are given the opportunities to blow series after series and this organisation never learns from mistakes. Luongo was just one goal away from blowing the NHL worst 3 games series lead last year. The Sedins are already showing signs of decline from their prime yhis season and if Luongo is again the designated goalie in the playoffs, the Canucks will be out in the 1st or 2nd round and this team will talk about rebuild in 2 to 3 years time.

#74 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

I'd hardly call Luongo a playoff choker. He was spectacular in his first two playoff series. He's been great in a HUGE majority. He had problems against Chicago, but VANCOUVER had problems against Chicago. They ate Luongo alive with rebounds and net play, which the Canuck defense and team as a whole could do nothing for.

Take away Chicago, and the only blemish is Boston. And even then, he had two shutouts, when our team did nothing in terms of offense.

So again, how can you really say he's a choker? Chicago at the time was pretty much the best team in the league, and coming off a season where they WON the SCF after beating Vancouver. They played Vancouver extremely well. Then he got to game 7 of the SCF, with two shutouts. Going into game 3 where they got lit up, there was talk of him being a Conn Smythe candidate. The team imploded around him. He wasn't great in 4 of the games, but he showed up huge in three. No other canuck in that series can say the same. Call him inconsistent, but compared to the rest of the team? He did his share.

#75 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

Schneider > Luongo. Deal with it.

#76 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

didnt cdc's golden boy come out with a stinker in the chicago series? yessir he even got a cramp
Posted Image

#77 Spyderr

Spyderr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

^^^^^

\He also gave them the game winning goal if I remember correctly.

Both goalies are fine. If the boys don't win it this year its time afor a hard hard hockey decision. I say trade lu (yes you can trade him) just strickly to save some goalie money and get younger on the back end. Sign Schneids at 3.75 for 5 years, Lose Ballard and Malhotra and all of a sudden there is 9 mil ish in cap space Suter Suter Suter Suter Suter.

Edler Suter
Hamhuis Bieksa
Tanev Salo
Grags
Come on LU

#78 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Luongo: 18th in save %, 22nd in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Schneider: 3rd in save %, 6th in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Save % is more of an individual stat than GAA. What this shows is that the Canucks are a better team with Schneider in net. The save % shows that Lou is a less than average goalie, while Schneider is among the elite.

Lou should be watching the the majority of the remaining regular season games and in the playoffs - from the bench.

#79 Maniwaki Canuck

Maniwaki Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Glad to hear this. Would like to see Schneider get about half of the remaining games until the playoffs begin. It's not a goalie controversy thing but more about keeping the team sharp mentally, which playing Schneider seems to accomplish, for whatever reason. Luongo has been amazing for us most of this year, and a bit of rest won't hurt him.

#80 JRad

JRad

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

This was obviously needed for luongo to have some time off and clear his head. Schneider playing well in this game will be awesome for 2 reasons: 1) Lou will be reminded (again) that his job doesn't have to be as secure as it is. 2) We get to showcase just how good Corey actually is to the BJ's, first round pick (possibly first overall with how Columbus is playing) for schneiders rights this summer?

Edited by JRad, 17 March 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#81 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'd hardly call Luongo a playoff choker. He was spectacular in his first two playoff series. He's been great in a HUGE majority. He had problems against Chicago, but VANCOUVER had problems against Chicago. They ate Luongo alive with rebounds and net play, which the Canuck defense and team as a whole could do nothing for.

Take away Chicago, and the only blemish is Boston. And even then, he had two shutouts, when our team did nothing in terms of offense.

So again, how can you really say he's a choker? Chicago at the time was pretty much the best team in the league, and coming off a season where they WON the SCF after beating Vancouver. They played Vancouver extremely well. Then he got to game 7 of the SCF, with two shutouts. Going into game 3 where they got lit up, there was talk of him being a Conn Smythe candidate. The team imploded around him. He wasn't great in 4 of the games, but he showed up huge in three. No other canuck in that series can say the same. Call him inconsistent, but compared to the rest of the team? He did his share.

Have to LOL at some Lou fans.
Just take away 1/2 the playoff series we played last year and he was fine,,just take away his poor months this year and he has been fine,
To me for an elite goalie should maybe get pulled once a year come playoffs in the games that matter the most because he played poorly. Guys like Martin Brodeur and Roy are elite because they play big in big games. I bet Lou was pulled more times in last year in the playoffs more than Brodeur and Roy combined in their 428 career playoff games. Lou should have been pulled 7 times last playoffs. pulled twice against Chicago and should have been pulled in all 4 losses to Boston instead of 2,,and should have been pulled when letting in 4 goals on 19 shots in a 4-3 loss to Nashville.ime. Even though Brodeur won many Vezinas and his career regular season GAA is 2.22 his playoff average is even better at 2.01 Roy also had great regular seasons and won Vezinas but his numbers for playoffs were also better with a 2.54 GAA for regular season and a 2.30 playoff GAA.
Even guys who were not in the Roy and Martin Brodeur category like our own Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean had far better playoff numbers than regular season numbers,
Kirk had a 3.26 reg season GAA and 2.84 playoff GAA,,King Richard had 3.85 regular season average and 3.32 playoff GAA.
In the 5 seasons leading into this year as a Canuck Lou has a regular season GAA of 2.34 and playoff GAA of 2.50, so when the games getting tighter and lower scoring he lets in more goals.

In the 2 previous playoffs years he melted down in both and was the main cause of our exodus, or was it the team again in 09-10 when Lou lets in 3 goals on 12 shot in the 1st period in our final game and we are down 3-0 when outshooting our opponent yet again, and wasnt so good against LA either getting pulled in favor of the mighty Raycroft when L.A was scoring on almost every PP,
or because the Canucks only scored 5 goals when they should have scored 8 to keep our season alive when Lou had a craptastic save% of .767 when he got lit up for 7 goals on 30 shots in 08-09.

#82 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,819 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Luongo: 18th in save %, 22nd in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Schneider: 3rd in save %, 6th in GAA for goalies over 20 games.

Save % is more of an individual stat than GAA. What this shows is that the Canucks are a better team with Schneider in net. The save % shows that Lou is a less than average goalie, while Schneider is among the elite.

Lou should be watching the the majority of the remaining regular season games and in the playoffs - from the bench.

tell me you haven't been watching nux play since Nov.
Posted Image

#83 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Jamaito...yur in denial !!

#84 Canucks_Wrister73

Canucks_Wrister73

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Play Schnieder till he loses. Quit giving Luongo the majority of the starts. Play the goalie who always gives us the best chance to win.

#85 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Play Schnieder till he loses. Quit giving Luongo the majority of the starts. Play the goalie who always gives us the best chance to win.

Play the goalie till he loses, I agree!

307mg00.jpg

#86 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Should I trust the opinion of a guy who can't even spell CORY's name correctly? Probably not ...

#87 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,325 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Problem is , that even if Schnieds wins and plays great, the die hard Luongo followers will come back with " it was only vs Columbus, anyone could win the easy one"

I don't know if I'd consider this game "easy".

The Jackets are the worst team in the league, but have been playing better since the trade deadline. Yes, they've lost their last three, but two of those were against the Blues and they won their previous four.

I think the Canucks win tonight, but I think it'll be close...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#88 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

People are such idiots.
Why are you guys making this into a big deal?
EVERY goalie has a stretch were they aren't playing that great and the back up comes in to play
Yes Luo isn't playing that great and Cory should get the start
But to everyone turning there backs on Lu
Don't forget what he was doing for this team before his recent slump
Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#89 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Play the goalie till he loses, I agree!

i really wish more teams would try this...why does there have to be a number 1 and a backup? is it just to justify the money they are paying Lu that they dont try this system?

#90 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Lets just all gather around our Tvs and cheer for a team win !!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.