The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Have You Done For Me? No What Have You Done For Me Latetly?

Samuel Påhlsson

So basically I'm aware of all the Luongo threads out there already but this is more of a comparison thread with Markus Naslund who received similar hate after the WCE died down. I'll just start with some simple facts on each players.

Naslund

Was a factor in getting the Canucks to the 2nd round on multiple occasions.

Was paid upwards of 6 million.

Has his jersey retired.

After the Bertuzzi trade received a lot of hate based on his production dropping and his 6 million dollar salary.

After his jersey retirement he lost most of his haters "We chocked speech" "Couldn't do it in the playoffs" etc... Still a few hangin' around though.

Luongo

Was a factor in getting the Canucks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (further then Naslund got the Canucks)

Is paid upwards of 5 million.

Receives much more hate then Naslund yet he has proven more in the playoffs then Naslund ever did. He has only missed the playoffs once since joinning the Canucks and he hasn't lost in the first round.

Is hated because people think he has ego issues, mentally weak, lets in soft goals, is the reason the team lost (enter game date here).

All-time team leader in wins.

So now the to the main point. I would like to know why so many more people love Naslund in comparison to Luongo. When clearly Luongo has accomplished more in the playoffs and perhaps overall thus far. If someone thinks Naslund is great but thinks Luongo is a plug then clearly there is something wrong there. I wonder what would happen if people supported Luongo when he let in a bad goal instead of announcing it and throwing it in his face. It's the medias job to screw with our players. Our job should be to support them so they can be the player we want them to be. For example after game 6 in Boston it would have been nice to see people holding "We Believe in Lu" signs of something. Instead people just whined. My dad is a 41 year Canuck fan and he can't enjoy any games because all he cares about is them winning the cup. I always tell him that "If you don't enjoy the journey what's the point of making it to the destination."

Not sure how clear my points are gonna come across I'm currently running on 5 hour energy drinks. (No I wasn't paid to say that)

tl;dr etc...

Naslund did all he could with a sucky team, then a good team with a sucky goalie.

Luongo has had an elite team in front of him for a few years now, and the results have been definitely mixed. If he can't get it done this year, well...it may be time to get rid of him, just like the time came to let Naslund go.

Naslund did all he could with a sucky team, then a good team with a sucky goalie.

Luongo has had an elite team in front of him for a few years now, and the results have been definitely mixed. If he can't get it done this year, well...it may be time to get rid of him, just like the time came to let Naslund go.

.....Luongo is not a sucky goalie, what are you talking about. Our team wasn't as bad back then as people are saying. We just had an average goalie then instead of an awesome one. Our defence right now is even pretty similar (i think last year's was better though, or at least played better.)

I agree..the Goaltender is more under the microscope than a forward. As a result, mistakes are more critical...and count on the scoreboard.

I don't believe in perfection in goaltending. I'm a huge Schneider fan because I believe in technical goaltending. He gets beat but usually its a deflection or just a plain great shot,even then hes made the right play. I also think its the type of goals as apposed to the number that beat Lou thats at issue.. The goal the other night that Brule scored on the team was a perfect example. He was so far out of position that Pyatt shot the puck BEHIND Lou and it hit Brule...he just couldn't get to where he needed to be..on the short side. He was too deep on shot from point that went in...you play tight to forwards to minimalize deflections..he wasn;t there.

He needs to rely on Goaltending 101 in order to shake this slump.

For the record Cloutier wasn't a terrible goalie. Everyone just remembers the Lidstrom goal from center and AMG CLOUTIER IS TERRIBLE BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

People forget we also had literally NO reliable defenseman (aside Ohlund) at the time. Cloutier was actually a decent goalie, yes he wasn't an amazing goalie or one you build your franchise around but hell, on nights where the defense showed up he actually held his own most of the time.

For the record Cloutier wasn't a terrible goalie.  Everyone just remembers the Lidstrom goal from center and AMG CLOUTIER IS TERRIBLE BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

People forget we also had literally NO reliable defenseman (aside Ohlund) at the time.  Cloutier was actually a decent goalie, yes he wasn't an amazing goalie or one you build your franchise around but hell, on nights where the defense showed up he actually held his own most of the time.

So now the to the main point. I would like to know why so many more people love Naslund in comparison to Luongo. When clearly Luongo has accomplished more in the playoffs and perhaps overall thus far. If someone thinks Naslund is great but thinks Luongo is a plug then clearly there is something wrong there. I wonder what would happen if people supported Luongo when he let in a bad goal instead of announcing it and throwing it in his face. It's the medias job to screw with our players. Our job should be to support them so they can be the player we want them to be. For example after game 6 in Boston it would have been nice to see people holding "We Believe in Lu" signs of something. Instead people just whined. My dad is a 41 year Canuck fan and he can't enjoy any games because all he cares about is them winning the cup. I always tell him that "If you don't enjoy the journey what's the point of making it to the destination."

Naslund was a point producer. Fans like the nice, shiny red light... when it is on behind the other team's net.

A goalie gets blame as he is the last line of defense. It doesn't matter (to some people) that the guys in front of him were playing like pylons when it came to defense... kind of like Naslund.

regards,

G.

lu is a world class goalie and one of the best in the league.....he will be for several more years.....all goaltenders let i bad goals at times....we as fans need to stand behind him, encourage him instead of chastising him when he lets in a soft goal....the kick him in the teeth mentality of some fans is, people not really caring for their players...

Archived