Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

- - - - -

[Report] Canucks Owner Aquilini Getting Divorced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

Lets all pitch in and buy the Canucks...we can all watch the games and kick out the corporate types. And oh yeah get Weber and Parise :) lol.

But wait we would probably all get into a big fight over who is going to be our #1 in net.

But in all seriousness, I hope this gets cleared up soon.I also hope the team isnt affected financially or in any other way, unless of course its in a positive way.

Please dont change the way our team is being run, we whine and complain about this and that but the matter of fact is that we really, really appreciate the way our team is being run and are actually really grateful, thanks!

#62 Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,407 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

why is this news on here? the owner isn't changing, and before this news, I never knew his wife had any say on this team. who cares. rich or poor man divorce every day.
Posted Image

#63 DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Is this why the Canucks are playing so poorly?

It all makes sense now...

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well, you earn $146million in revenue. The team's payroll is no more than $60mil. The flights are 2.5mil. Then you have the taxes, building cost, marketing... that's another 20mil. Summary: at least $50mil into Acquilini's pockets.

Now he's getting a divorce. A lesson to be learned is, if you are rich, don't try to squeeze every single last ounce of average family's money. Getting a family of 4 into the upperdeck costs $400 or more. That's almost an AAPL share!!

Nobody ain't shedding any tears for this guy.

Does this include playoff revenue or just regular season? I think 50 mil is a stretch considering the cost's to run the Canucks entire organization. I dont pay nearly that much to sit in the upperdeck, infact my parents season tickets in the lower bowl amount to less than 400 for lower bowl per game. Anyway, really hope that the team wont be handcuffed financially going forward!

#65 Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

The fact that this was posted disgusts me. It's none of our business

Give it a rest drama queen. It isn't going into any personal details regarding their divorce or personal lives. The fact that they are splitting could affect the team in countless ways and it is a topic of interest to many people. As long as this story is from strictly a business/functionality standpoint regarding their team I fail to see how this can disgust anyone.

Edited by Touchet, 17 March 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Tarasenko for Ballard, Raymond and a 1st

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think the recent slump has taken its toll on the relationship.

If the Canucks start winning, it might save the marriage (and ownership) problems.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#67 Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Edited by Touchet, 17 March 2012 - 09:20 AM.

Tarasenko for Ballard, Raymond and a 1st

#68 Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for asking:

I'd say anything speculatory - i.e "they are getting divorced because ______" will not be allowed
Statements about their private lives or their personalities - i.e "person X is apparently not nice and I heard that ____" will not be allowed

Discussing the ownership as pertaining to the Canucks - i.e "Implications on the team, revenue, ticket prices, team stability, etc." will be allowed

Discussions about legal proceedings that have been reported by credible media sources will be allowed

Provide sources where possible

Hope that clarifies

What if the reason they are getting divorced is because the Canucks haven't been playing well lately:(. I bet those poor little 20 guys in uniform think it's their faults. But some one should tell them it's not and give them a hug:)

#69 Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hopefully this doesn't come across as sexist, but...

I wouldn't be concerned one bit. I don't think Taliah Aquilini has the capacity to run a business the calibre of Canucks Sports & Entertainment, if she doesn't have a background in business and business management. So she won't take control of the team.

Francesco, Paolo, and Roberto are the identified "Governors" of the team, so I assume they each have a 33% stake in the team. If Taliah Aquilini wants 50% of Aquilini, she would only get 16.5% stake in the team. It would break down as:

Franceso Aquilini - 16.5%
Paolo Aquilini - 33%
Roberto Aquilini - 33%
Taliah Aquilini - 16.5%

Francesco + Paolo + Roberto = 83.5%

No expert, but that's what I think.

As someone who has followed the Canucks from the beginning fans should thank their lucky stars that the Aquilini family acquired the team. This is the strongest ownership group that has ever owned them. They have obviously empowered Mike Gillis to spend the money needed to bring a CUP to Van. That is most definitely a change from previous ownership groups. Thankyou.

#70 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

The fact that this was posted disgusts me. It's none of our business

Thank you, couldn't agree more.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#71 darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Should have been common-law.

This is what you get for "signing on the dotted line"

This is pretty bad news. These things almost never end amicably. Too bad this has to come out right before the playoffs... curious though.. this all started a year ago and NOW it's news? Odd.

#72 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Aquilini gets the hockey team, the wife takes the negative fans with her. Take the Lu haters.... please! :lol:

#73 Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the effort, but it does not work this way. Being a team governor implies nothing about ownership.

As far I can tell, Francisco Aquilini owns the Canucks outright (i.e. 100%). See http://bizofhockey.c...ion=com_content

If there is a divorce, the two parties do not necessarily split each asset 50-50. In fact that would be very unusual. It is more likely that someone gets the Canucks, someone gets the real estate business, etc.

Given how much effort Aquilini put in to acquire the Canucks, I think it unlikely he would want to part with it. But quite likely the Canucks are being raised by the other side in an effort to create the best bargaining position they can for getting as much as they can.

Francesco Aquilini does not own Canucks Sports & Entertainment outright.

Owned and operated by the Aquilini Investment Group since 2004, Canucks Sports & Entertainment is committed to providing a premium fan experience through the hockey club, state of the art Arena and charitable and community initiatives.

The Aquilini Investment Group is a diversified family business founded more than 50 years ago by Mr. Luigi Aquilini. The group is now run by his three sons Mr. Francesco Aquilini, Mr. Roberto Aquilini and Mr. Paolo Aquilini. The Vancouver-based company owns and manages a national real estate portfolio that includes commercial properties, office buildings, hotels, golf courses, and cranberry and blueberry farms, as well as develops and constructs commercial and residential properties.

The Aquilini Investment Group owned by Francesco, Roberto and Paolo Aquilini, have entered into an agreement to purchase the remaining 50 percent share of the Vancouver Canucks and General Motors Place that is owned by John E. McCaw Jr.. The Aquilini Investment Group will own 100 percent of the Canucks and General Motors Place.

I am aware that being a team governor doesn't mean owner since Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis are designated as alternate governors. However, Paolo Aquilini and Roberto Aquilini have no role in the team, except as "Alternate Governors" which likely indicates a part in ownership.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.