The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Reading Of The Situation...........

Bodee

Looking at the facts in the cold light of day.

We came out of last year's SCF a battered and bruised team.

Kes needed hip surgery and quite a few others needed minor surgical procedures.

Manny was struggling to get his vision back to where it had been.

Mason Raymond spent most of the close season in a body brace.

We uncovered a player who we thought could play an important role for us, Steve Pinizzotto, only to see him take a long term injury before the season got underway.

We found a great hard hitting player and willing pugilist in Aaron Volpatti, only to lose him to long term injury.

Byron Bitz never got started until after Christmas due to recurring injury and even when fit enough to play still looked lacking in game fitness. We hope to see him back for the playoffs.

We lost Sami just when we seemed to be getting some momentum.

We lost Andrew Ebbett who had already surprised us with his offensive threat to another long term injury in the same game.

No sooner was Sami back than our defence was further disrupted by the loss of one player who had been playing really well, Keith Ballard. He is still not back but we hope to have him for the playoffs.

We lost Chris Higgins for two stretches due to Staphylococcus infections when he had been one of our most in form players.

Two things happened partly, if not entirely, due to much of the above.

Firstly the team never really got going in the early season. While we are notoriously slow starters, we might have expected to pick things up earlier, if we had not incurred the injuries and fatigue and loss of pre season caused by the SCFs.

Secondly the injuries and setbacks since Christmas all seemed to occur just as we were turning things round and showing a bit of form.

In summing up we have hardly, through choice or necessity got out of 2nd gear this season. Despite this we have shown against Boston, NYR, Detroit and Chicago that we CAN up the tempo of our game when push comes to shove. Dare I say when bragging rights are at stake.

We look like an over wound spring that just keeps getting tighter, yet still holding back and holding back, waiting on the flick switch.

We are not taking teams on physically unless we see a worthwhile return and whether that is a subconscious attempt to enter the playoffs healthy, who knows?

What we do know is this team can hit and can hit hard. We can match up with the most physical teams on any given night when there is something at stake. We, as fans, know that. We have seen it with our own eyes.

So let's not panic. Let AV do his "r'n r freshen up" musical chairs.

Let the rest of the teams take us for granted, regard us as soft touches. I am confident, come the bell, we will unleash a "sh--storm of kickass" the likes of which might even surprise the most optimistic Canucks fans.

Secretly I kinda hope this is all just a scheme to make other teams under estimate us so we can go crazy on them in the playoffs. I know this is unlikely, seeings how we are obviously a good team, and it's a stupid strategy. None the less I hope. But if my wishes are true and this is the Vancouver Canuck plan we are rocking it by being voted the most overrated team.

i tend to agree with (Shorthouse i believe) that the canucks are just not that motivated for these games right now. Obviously when playoffs come we will be playing games that actually matter (or matter a lot more), so im sure we'll be fine. They come out hitting. Edler, Higgins, Lappy, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, etc. will all be physical and dangerous throughout :)

I agree. They aren't playing these games as hard because they don't have to, and they want to decrease the risk of going into the playoffs with more injuries. Could you imagine if one of our top guys got taken out right now and couldn't play in the playoffs? That would be devastating.

also, this is just a minor side note, but I've seen it a lot and I felt like mentioning it.. Higgins was sick with a staph infection, not a "staff" infection. Nitpicky about spelling I know, but it bugged me. :P

I agree. They aren't playing these games as hard because they don't have to, and they want to decrease the risk of going into the playoffs with more injuries. Could you imagine if one of our top guys got taken out right now and couldn't play in the playoffs? That would be devastating.

also, this is just a minor side note, but I've seen it a lot and I felt like mentioning it.. Higgins was sick with a staph infection, not a "staff" infection. Nitpicky about spelling I know, but it bugged me. :P

Totally agree and it`s nice to hear some sanity with all the panic that`s been posted on this board recently. Remember the opening game of the first round against Chicago last year? The Canucks were skating hard and hit everything in sight to the point where Quenneville had to call a time out to regroup in the first period. I think we're going to see a lot of that. What we haven't seen so much from the Canucks is killer instinct, the ability to finish teams off once they've got them down. It's the only thing this team has been missing, and I'm hoping we'll develop it this year.

Bodee great post. They're definitely just playing out the season at this point, and I'm not overly concerned really about how things have been going since the ASB. Now, if they can't flick da switch once the first round starts..that's another story. Honestly though, I fully believe in what MG has been building, and expect to see one heck of a playoff this year.

Can we just start the playoffs already please???

there won't be a more determined team to win every night than the Canucks come playoff time.

Look back at what Hamhuis said on afterhours "Everybody is more calm this year after a win but everyone is angry and furious after a loss" they don't care about if they are 8th seed or first seed, they just want another chance at the cup.

Looking at the facts in the cold light of day.

We came out of last year's SCF a battered and bruised team.

Kes needed hip surgery and quite a few others needed minor surgical procedures.

Manny was struggling to get his vision back to where it had been.

Mason Raymond spent most of the close season in a body brace.

We uncovered a player who we thought could play an important role for us, Steve Pinizzotto, only to see him take a long term injury before the season got underway.

We found a great hard hitting player and willing pugilist in Aaron Volpatti, only to lose him to long term injury.

Byron Bitz never got started until after Christmas due to recurring injury and even when fit enough to play still looked lacking in game fitness. We hope to see him back for the playoffs.

We lost Sami just when we seemed to be getting some momentum.

We lost Andrew Ebbett who had already surprised us with his offensive threat to another long term injury in the same game.

No sooner was Sami back than our defence was further disrupted by the loss of one player who had been playing really well, Keith Ballard. He is still not back but we hope to have him for the playoffs.

We lost Chris Higgins for two stretches due to Staphylococcus infections when he had been one of our most in form players.

Two things happened partly, if not entirely, due to much of the above.

Firstly the team never really got going in the early season. While we are notoriously slow starters, we might have expected to pick things up earlier, if we had not incurred the injuries and fatigue and loss of pre season caused by the SCFs.

Secondly the injuries and setbacks since Christmas all seemed to occur just as we were turning things round and showing a bit of form.

In summing up we have hardly, through choice or necessity got out of 2nd gear this season. Despite this we have shown against Boston, NYR, Detroit and Chicago that we CAN up the tempo of our game when push comes to shove. Dare I say when bragging rights are at stake.

We look like an over wound spring that just keeps getting tighter, yet still holding back and holding back, waiting on the flick switch.

We are not taking teams on physically unless we see a worthwhile return and whether that is a subconscious attempt to enter the playoffs healthy, who knows?

What we do know is this team can hit and can hit hard. We can match up with the most physical teams on any given night when there is something at stake. We, as fans, know that. We have seen it with our own eyes.

So let's not panic. Let AV do his "r'n r freshen up" musical chairs.

Let the rest of the teams take us for granted, regard us as soft touches. I am confident, come the bell, we will unleash a "sh--storm of kickass" the likes of which might even surprise the most optimistic Canucks fans.

Don't worry

Almost every good team isn't playing well lately

DET right now (3-6-1)

BOS right now (3-7-0)

NYR right now (5-4-1)

SJS right now (3-4-3)

PHX (3-5-2)

VAN (4-4-2)

Compared to the other good teams, we actually have a better record (except NYR) than anyone that's played bad lately

Don't worry

Almost every good team isn't playing well lately

DET right now (3-6-1)

BOS right now (3-7-0)

NYR right now (5-4-1)

SJS right now (3-4-3)

PHX (3-5-2)

VAN (4-4-2)

Compared to the other good teams, we actually have a better record (except NYR) than anyone that's played bad lately

We can all hope that your read is right. Van played three critical games this year against the Hawks, Wings and Bruins where they demonstarted much of what you put forward as a case for standing pat. My concern with the Canucks is that they do not have a history of being able to play the physical game when needed with sustained success. To be concerned about that you have to believe that in fact a physical game is necessary to be successful in CUP play. I am in that camp. Canuck coaches prefer the puck possession game with some speed and overwelming offence. IMHO that strategy works during regular season but is more than questionable during playoffs. Playoff quality d-cores tend to shutdown purely offensive teams. What I am trying to say is that I do not want the Canucks to be another version of the SJ Sharks. A big team with no heart.

You suggest that this year's team has never hit second gear. If that is the case what were they doing during December/January and part of February? Pretty good stretch of more than decent play. You could rightfully point out that during that stretch the offence and stellar goaltending were carrying the team. Vancouver's perenial problem as a franchise has always been their d-core. Last year's version along with this year's, injuries aside, has not played to CUP quality standards. The problem goes beyond the actual defencemen and extends to the puck support the forwards are not providing at this time. The signs of desperation I see in their game are the high risk plays by forwards trying to break into the offensive zone one on one or even one on two. The short passing game ala Detroit is missing in action. Acquiring bigger forwards like Boothe, Bitz and Kassian should help Burrows and Kesleer with net presence which arguably they did not have enough of last spring. But that aside the biggest issue is in their own zone.

Van's breakouts are designed to come up the middle. There is so much second guessing going on behind the blue line right now turnovers are resulting. Time for experimenting is over. It has to be back to basics and build back confidence. Use the last 12 games to fine tune a playoff ready team.

Archived