The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Reading Of The Situation...........

Bodee

I appreciate your optimism but there has been long stretches where the Canucks just play like they don't care. Just cause we say we want to flip on the switch doesn't make it so. There are many teams who go into the playoffs at full steam of momentum while we've been lazying around for the last little while. On paper, we're better then them, and truth be told, we probably are. However, when we've been slacking around, our team won't be as sharp and who knows what kind of team would show up?

I wonder if Hank has been playing hurt since being seen in his foot cast. The timelines of his, and our first line's slump exactly date to then. Perhaps its time for him to give up on the iron man streak, take time off & heal?

Without a doubt, he's what stirs our lethal scoring attack. We need him healthy!!!

It comforts fans to believe the team is consciously "coasting" and "saving themselves".

Based on AV's actions and comments, he doesn't share that opinion. He is visibly concerned and his press conferences after games show that.

He knows the team is failing in numerous areas and struggling big time. He also knows you don't just flick a switch and suddenly your defensive zone coverage is top notch; your goaltender gets hot and your forwards start potting chances. He knows the team knows how to play well but are struggling to execute. So far, he and the team haven't been able to find the solution to their problems. THere's a chance they won't and that is what has fans concerned and AV stressed.

Panic is the wrong word for most posting their concerns on CDC.. Panic will be what we see if the team does not turn their game around by the first round.

we should have acquired Moen to play with Phalsson. Haha Duck Power reunited!

But seriously I hope we turn it on, and play with confidence.

Its another shot at the Cup, before the first round starts we have to forget about the season, last season, everything. Go out there and play like our lives are on the line.

More ridiculous speculation from CDC's psychic network. "I can read the players minds, they are just coasting to the playoffs where the sleeping beast will be awoken" Give me a break...try posting something based on facts....The facts are the entire team has played like crap for say a month or month and a half. I think you have a higher chance of injury playing lazy, unmotivated hockey without being properly focused you will be less aware and have a harder time avoiding hits, etc. All in all I don't buy this overused argument about resting/coasting into the playoffs, its not the right attitude or work ethic for a professional to have not to mention its just being pulled out of the a$$ of the people who use it. Facts support arguments way more, and the facts right now are the team is playing like crap.

Y'know... In the playoffs i wouldn't mind trying Ballard and/or Alberts as forwards if our current forwards are banged-up. Not as 4th liners either. Because opponents would just focus on that line. We would need them to be put with some talent so they can go to the net and create room for the talented guys.

Of course we would likely use Bitz, Mancari, Weise, Duco instead... But that comment by Ballard saying he'd like to try forward... It makes a bit of sense. He's pretty fast. And he likes to hammer guys into the boards. Might be worth a look if the need ever comes up. Cheers.

TOML

I agree with your post, we will come out and hit in the playoffs just like we did last year. But.....one concern that I have is if we have players that are resilient enough to handle the physicality for the sum of the playoffs. By Game 7 last year, we had so many players on the limp that we were done in Game 7. This year we have already had a number of injuries, hopefully all of the new additions will be game ready by the playoffs so that we have enough healthy bodies to utilize instead of so many on the limp. A guy like Ebbett, could take pressure off of Kesler instead of playing Kes hurt. If he needs a game to recover, give it to him...same for Henrik. We also have a number of players that could jump into a 3rd or 4th line spot when you need to rest Malhotra etc.

The most important thing is that we get to the final game healthy.....with the depth we have, we have a better chance this year.

More ridiculous speculation from CDC's psychic network. "I can read the players minds, they are just coasting to the playoffs where the sleeping beast will be awoken" Give me a break...try posting something based on facts....The facts are the entire team has played like crap for say a month or month and a half. I think you have a higher chance of injury playing lazy, unmotivated hockey without being properly focused you will be less aware and have a harder time avoiding hits, etc. All in all I don't buy this overused argument about resting/coasting into the playoffs, its not the right attitude or work ethic for a professional to have not to mention its just being pulled out of the a$$ of the people who use it. Facts support arguments way more, and the facts right now are the team is playing like crap.

This is an answer to the other topic which was closed, as it was along similar lines but implied the Canucks were trying to lose.

I take it that it was my thread you referred to.

I intentionally DID NOT say the team was losing on purpose because I don't think that for a moment. I think saying that is disrespectful and not fair to the other teams involved.

However what I do believe is that subconsciously the players are not putting their bodies on the line. That doesn't mean they are not trying to win.

I believe the thought that they now know how important it is to go to the playoffs fit/healthy means they're not prepared to play "playoff hockey" before the playoffs, especially when they are virtually assured of a high seed position.

Imo they are meeting teams just now that fall into two categories.

The first category are those who are prepared to play "playoff hockey" in order to qualify. They are playing harder/tougher than the Canucks need to because they see it as a chance to make progress using tactics that the Canucks don't need to/can't bring themselves to use.

The second category, and I admit I could be wrong here, are teams like Montreal who are playing "playoff hockey" either to take a prestigious scalp like the Canucks, or Boston, or Detroit or they have a coach who may fear for his position and sends his team out to "do a Boston" on these teams.

I agree this would be risky for the Cannucks..........if it was intentional.

However, I maintain it is all in the mind at present. Don't forget some of our players may have already picked up some slight injuries, strains, bruises so can you blame them for subconsciously trying to avoid more?

It's only a theory..........I'm no psychologist. However I have seen football/soccer clubs play "reserve teams" over here in minor Cup competitions, not just because they don't want their stars to be injured but because they know the reserves will play hard in order to impress and improve their chances of promotion to the top team.

They are saving themselves for the playoffs. They have come out hard against teams that are at the top, even recently. The teams that are scrapping for position are not worth playing our hearts out against and injuring ourselves for games that are coming up that will really matter...period...

I wonder if Hank has been playing hurt since being seen in his foot cast. The timelines of his, and our first line's slump exactly date to then. Perhaps its time for him to give up on the iron man streak, take time off & heal?

Without a doubt, he's what stirs our lethal scoring attack. We need him healthy!!!

Archived