Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Thought About Raymond

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#31 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

he played good tonight.. made himself present and had some chances.. i do think though that partly was related to the fact that the sedins played well also.. i have a feeling that if the twins had bad games mayray wouldnt have been as good tonight.. but whatever, good to see him take a step in the roght direction. Hes still got a long way to go though and needs to find some consistency..

Posted Image

#32 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

There was nothing wrong with Raymond's play tonight. What I don't understand is why all you Raymond haters have to come here every f...ing single game to bash him. If you guys think you're all so damn good, why don't you all go play for Nucks. Then we'll see how good you guys all are.

I agree with you. When the haters get a "stiffy" on for a player, they can't let it go can they? Haters just continue to hate and blame. Just consider the source as it will never change.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#33 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

It's funny how some of the regular posters seem to think they have to defend the Canuck platers regardless of whether they are playing well or brutally poor... The guys know when they are sucking and also when they are just not getting the breaks. Sometimes though it just must be said that it is time to move on... MayRay is at that point, even tonight those that say he played better are covering for him. The Blue Jackets are the worst team in the league, Raymond did nothing to stand out he was falling with or without being touched he won't go near the front of the net AV is just playing him until they can call up one of the players from Chicago without losing that player to waivers and then hopefully for the rest of the squad MayRay can cool his jets until nexy training camp as anyone that truly watches can see he is not accomplishing much except for perhaps frutrating the linemates he is put with. Some time to watch and recover without negatively affecting the squad and maybe he can be a valuable part of this team again. I hope so as I agree he is generally reliable defensively while on a top line but is a detriment offensively and he doesn't fit on the third or fourth lines so what other option do we have.

Well I noticed Raymond's play tonight a heck of a lot more than that of Hansen's play. Hansen has been flying unnoticed under the radar for far too many games as well. What are his numbers in the last few games? Ziltch!! Why is he getting a free pass from all the critics? Wouldn't it be nice if he had a 20 goal year like Raymond has had.

Raymond is coming off a serious injury and just needs to be given a little slack for a change and that is why AV and Gillis are being patient with him at this juncture. Others need to be patient as well, like they are with Hansen, Malhotra and a couple of others. Raymond is sound defensively and his offensive game will again return. Relax CDC, relax.

#34 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I thought he looked kinda lost - out of position at times i dont want to make fun of him but i call him bambi when he falls. At least maybe he can clear the neutral zone then let sedins do theirthing but really if you arent scoring with the sedins passing to you .. Hmm

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#35 sxqhfeh

sxqhfeh

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Raymond worked his ass off and he had a great game tonight, stop give him s**t

#36 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Not a bad game for Ratmond, however need a few more games and compare them. As it stands right now, he needs improvement and don't think 1st line is for him.
Posted Image

#37 powerman

powerman

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

There was nothing wrong with Raymond's play tonight. What I don't understand is why all you Raymond haters have to come here every f...ing single game to bash him. If you guys think you're all so damn good, why don't you all go play for Nucks. Then we'll see how good you guys all are.

I agree with you. When the haters get a "stiffy" on for a player, they can't let it go can they? Haters just continue to hate and blame. Just consider the source as it will never change.

FIrst of all, if you took the time to look, I started this topic just as the game was starting tonight, so I was not basing it whatsoever on tonight's performance. My original post was not bashing him in the least; I was making a theoretical statement concerning what AV might be doing with Raymond on the top line. But way to completely over react guys

#38 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

Because this needed a new thread.

Couldn't this have gone in the GDT?

Raymond's play doesn't need 3 new threads every day, for crying out loud.

RIP LB RR PD

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

Raymond looks lost out there.

Does this really deserve it's own thread?

Way to show you either didn't watch the game or you have no idea how to assess a hockey performance. Raymond played well, was unlucky a few times, stayed on his feet apart from one (Henrik also fell with no one near him but I don't care) time when he was shoved, fought well for the puck and his speed was a big asset out there.

You haven't a clue! Watch the game again and be ashamed.

"Raymond should be watching the game from the press box"

You should just learn to watch the game full stop and then you wouldn't make comments like that and make a fool out of yourself.

"but most nights he never even tries to use his speed or skill to get points."

Or more likely most nights you either don't watch the game or you haven't a clue what you are looking at.

"Raymond is a waste of a player, hes not physical or nothing. He needs to go."

Another sad parrot repeating what he's heard and hasn't seen in an attempt to be popular but ultimately like the other Raymond haters just demonstrates he hasn't a clue.

"After watching him in tonight's game, he should be in the press box....any other player (except Rome) would either be benched or in the press box.
If you last name starts with an R, AV gets a stiffy for ya!"

You telling porkys again. You didn't watch the game. You just proved it. Either that, or you are so biased your opinion isn't worth a plug anyway. Either way you haven't a clue.

"The kid just had one of his best games of the year, and nearly finished on a number of great plays by the Sedins. Looks like the Sedins are back so it doesn't really matter who they're playing with, they'll score some goals, but Raymond was looking determined out there all night. Great on the cycle behind the net because he kept moving his feet, and even better on the back-check."

Not often I agree with you DUC but while I would not agree that he had one of his best games of the year MR did fine and as I say with a bit of luck he could have had some points.

"There was nothing wrong with Raymond's play tonight. What I don't understand is why all you Raymond haters have to come here every f...ing single game to bash him. If you guys think you're all so damn good, why don't you all go play for Nucks. Then we'll see how good you guys all are."

The answer is simple, they are the hockey equivalent of lemmings.
After every game they rise like zombies muttering "must make a fool of myself, must post some lies and garbage about Raymond." Then off they go trotting out the same puerile rubbish hoping to infect some other gullible morons with the let's hate MR disease.
It's a hoot :emot-parrot:

Edited by Bodee, 19 March 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#40 georgeparrosesmustache

georgeparrosesmustache

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Way to show you either didn't watch the game or you have no idea how to assess a hockey performance. Raymond played well, was unlucky a few times, stayed on his feet apart from one (Henrik also fell with no one near him but I don't care) time when he was shoved, fought well for the puck and his speed was a big asset out there.

You haven't a clue! Watch the game again and be ashamed.

"Raymond should be watching the game from the press box"

You should just learn to watch the game full stop and then you wouldn't make comments like that and make a fool out of yourself.

"but most nights he never even tries to use his speed or skill to get points."

Or more likely most nights you either don't watch the game or you haven't a clue what you are looking at.

"Raymond is a waste of a player, hes not physical or nothing. He needs to go."

Another sad parrot repeating what he's heard and hasn't seen in an attempt to be popular but ultimately like the other Raymond haters just demonstrates he hasn't a clue.

"After watching him in tonight's game, he should be in the press box....any other player (except Rome) would either be benched or in the press box.
If you last name starts with an R, AV gets a stiffy for ya!"

You telling porkys again. You didn't watch the game. You just proved it. Either that, or you are so biased your opinion isn't worth a plug anyway. Either way you haven't a clue.

"The kid just had one of his best games of the year, and nearly finished on a number of great plays by the Sedins. Looks like the Sedins are back so it doesn't really matter who they're playing with, they'll score some goals, but Raymond was looking determined out there all night. Great on the cycle behind the net because he kept moving his feet, and even better on the back-check."

Not often I agree with you DUC but while I would not agree that he had one of his best games of the year MR did fine and as I say with a bit of luck he could have had some points.

"There was nothing wrong with Raymond's play tonight. What I don't understand is why all you Raymond haters have to come here every f...ing single game to bash him. If you guys think you're all so damn good, why don't you all go play for Nucks. Then we'll see how good you guys all are."

The answer is simple, they are the hockey equivalent of lemmings.
After every game they rise like zombies muttering "must make a fool of myself, must post some lies and garbage about Raymond." Then off they go trotting out the same puerile rubbish hoping to infect some outer gullible morons with the let's hate MR disease.
It's a hoot :emot-parrot:

God damnit bodee why are you in every mason raymond thread...you n Baggins. i swear.

Bodee : Mason Raymonds cousin

Baggins : Mason Raymonds mom

Posted Image

Pleasejustwin.

#41 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

It's funny how some of the regular posters seem to think they have to defend the Canuck platers regardless of whether they are playing well or brutally poor... The guys know when they are sucking and also when they are just not getting the breaks. Sometimes though it just must be said that it is time to move on... MayRay is at that point, even tonight those that say he played better are covering for him. The Blue Jackets are the worst team in the league, Raymond did nothing to stand out he was falling with or without being touched he won't go near the front of the net AV is just playing him until they can call up one of the players from Chicago without losing that player to waivers and then hopefully for the rest of the squad MayRay can cool his jets until nexy training camp as anyone that truly watches can see he is not accomplishing much except for perhaps frutrating the linemates he is put with. Some time to watch and recover without negatively affecting the squad and maybe he can be a valuable part of this team again. I hope so as I agree he is generally reliable defensively while on a top line but is a detriment offensively and he doesn't fit on the third or fourth lines so what other option do we have.

How many times did he fall?..............as opposed to being pushed. Because I don't know any player who never goes over when being pushed..........Perhaps you have the guts to come on here and give us the period times and I will check them for you.

"Raymond did nothing to stand out he was falling"

This is a forum so I won't call you a ----. What I will say is he stood out 3 or four times and certainly as many times as half the forwards on view. He had a +/- of 0 why don't you check that on the box score and get back to us.

"he won't go near the front of the net"

Again I won't call you a ---- but I'm sure that was him cutting round and diving full length in front of the net and almost hitting the puck in the net. Maybe you were asleep when that occurred.........beer will do that for you.
Also what has the quality of the opposition to do with Raymond.........this is a team game and THE TEAM just managed to scrape home 4-3.
Quite a few players played worse than Raymond but unlike you I don't try to blame individuals.

"AV is just playing him until they can call up one of the players from Chicago without losing that player to waivers and then hopefully for the rest of the squad MayRay can cool his jets until nexy training camp as anyone that truly watches can see he is not accomplishing much except for perhaps frutrating the linemates he is put with."

I commend you sir. The extent of your delusion is boundless.

As for your last statement, patronising doesn't become you. There is no reason why a fair minded person would say any of what you have said above so you are fooling no one in your derisory attempt to come over as someone who A. knows what he is talking about and B. actually gives a damn about Mason Raymond.

Edited by Bodee, 18 March 2012 - 07:05 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#42 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

God damnit bodee why are you in every mason raymond thread...you n Baggins. i swear.

Bodee : Mason Raymonds cousin

Baggins : Mason Raymonds mom

If I was indeed Mason Raymond's (Scottish) cousin, I would be a fool to come on here and read the bile spewed out by a bunch of jackasses who know damn all about the game and who's only raison d'etre in life is blackening the character of a fine young man and a talented hockey player.

If he was your son playing for this team you might think my defence of your boy was worth while though I suppose.
Kevin.jpg

#43 Niners70

Niners70

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

One thing that I noticed tonight, based on the original posters comment, was that he was not the "black hole" he normally is. I think he is with the Sedins because AV and even Raymond knows the puck has to be on Hank or Dan's stick; thus, for the first time all year Raymond had to give the puck up, instead of skating in circles, falling down, missing the net and not passing the puck. Even he knew the puck had to be with the Sedin's and the result was him cycling better, going to the front of the net, and having some good chances.

I believe AV out smarted everyone here again because he knew the only way to build Raymond's confidence and to get him to pass the puck, cycle better and not be the black hole he is, was to put him with the Sedins where Raymond cannot dispute who the play maker's on the line are. Not too mention Raymond's back checking ability in turn helped the Sedin's as they did not get scored on as much.

Once he has a few more games cycling and passing he could then play a better game with Hansen and Paulson. If in fact this does not work ( I felt he was much better tonight) they will have no choice but to put him in the press box!

#44 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

One thing that I noticed tonight, based on the original posters comment, was that he was not the "black hole" he normally is. I think he is with the Sedins because AV and even Raymond knows the puck has to be on Hank or Dan's stick; thus, for the first time all year Raymond had to give the puck up, instead of skating in circles, falling down, missing the net and not passing the puck. Even he knew the puck had to be with the Sedin's and the result was him cycling better, going to the front of the net, and having some good chances.

I believe AV out smarted everyone here again because he knew the only way to build Raymond's confidence and to get him to pass the puck, cycle better and not be the black hole he is, was to put him with the Sedins where Raymond cannot dispute who the play maker's on the line are. Not too mention Raymond's back checking ability in turn helped the Sedin's as they did not get scored on as much.

Once he has a few more games cycling and passing he could then play a better game with Hansen and Paulson. If in fact this does not work ( I felt he was much better tonight) they will have no choice but to put him in the press box!

Fair assessment, although you could have pointed out that it's a two way street. The Sedins play MR in and pass to him as well as make themselves available to receive passes from him.

Booth and Kes just did their own thing and it didn't involve much passing to anyone never mind Raymond.
Kevin.jpg

#45 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

FIrst of all, if you took the time to look, I started this topic just as the game was starting tonight, so I was not basing it whatsoever on tonight's performance. My original post was not bashing him in the least; I was making a theoretical statement concerning what AV might be doing with Raymond on the top line. But way to completely over react guys

Say what you will.

Edited by SimplyHockey, 19 March 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#46 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Fair assessment, although you could have pointed out that it's a two way street. The Sedins play MR in and pass to him as well as make themselves available to receive passes from him.

Booth and Kes just did their own thing and it didn't involve much passing to anyone never mind Raymond.

There is too much individualism on our second line. They make it obvious they are going to take it to the net by themselves the majority of the time. I would like to see a little more team play within the line. Seems there is only a pass made when the puck carrier gets hemmed in or has to pass rather than make that pass to the more open guy.

I like Kesler's and Booth's play, grit and hustle however, I do note that less favorable aspect of their line play.

Edited by SimplyHockey, 19 March 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#47 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Twins struggle - Give em time.
Raymond struggles - Trade for a bag of pucks.
AV decides to mix it up and put Raymond with Twins - Trade Raymond for a bag of pucks.
Putting Raymond with Twins shakes the Twins loose and they look amazing, and Raymond looks much better - Trade Raymond for a bag of pucks.

There's an awful lot of confirmation bias going on around here, and zero logic. And zero loyalty.
It's a goddamn shame. The boy broke his back, literally, for this team and you losers can't even see it when he plays well.
What the Nuck?!

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#48 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

He is a healthy scratch tonight. Guess we will see what happens.

#49 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Twins struggle - Give em time.
Raymond struggles - Trade for a bag of pucks.
AV decides to mix it up and put Raymond with Twins - Trade Raymond for a bag of pucks.
Putting Raymond with Twins shakes the Twins loose and they look amazing, and Raymond looks much better - Trade Raymond for a bag of pucks.

There's an awful lot of confirmation bias going on around here, and zero logic. And zero loyalty.
It's a goddamn shame. The boy broke his back, literally, for this team and you losers can't even see it when he plays well.
What the Nuck?!

Hold on here, there will be some bias because your comparing art ross trophy winners to raymond.

Im not quite sure i understand your logic. The sedins have been getting a ton of flack but nobody has suggested trading them considering what they have done. Although I have seen the odd suggestion on here trading the sedins, but you cant even compare the two to raymond.

For many of us its not about loyalty its about who gives us the best chance to win. Many just dont know where raymond fits in on this team, especially now that we signed sammy and av wantsto go with a 3rd checking line. If that did not happen i would suggest giving him a try on the 3rd again for a few games. The entire teams success should come before individual player loyalty.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 19 March 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#50 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

He is a healthy scratch tonight. Guess we will see what happens.

Interesting move by AV. I'm excited to see how the lineups fare tonight.
Posted Image

#51 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hold on here, there will be some bias because your comparing art ross trophy winners to raymond.

Im not quite sure i understand your logic. The sedins have been getting a ton of flack but nobody has suggested trading them considering what they have done. Although I have seen the odd suggestion on here trading the sedins, but you cant even compare the two to raymond.

For many of us its not about loyalty its about who gives us the best chance to win. Many just dont know where raymond fits in on this team, especially now that we signed sammy and av wantsto go with a 3rd checking line. If that did not happen i would suggest giving him a try on the 3rd again for a few games. The entire teams success should come before individual player loyalty.

I don't think he is comparing anyone. He is just ripped about the continual criticisms Raymond receives, even when he does play well. I too would like to see how another player like Kesler would play after suffering a back injury. Look how hip surgery has influenced his play over last year. That is not a dig at Kes either. I am simply suggesting major injuries negatively affect players long after rehab, especially when you have been told you might not play again.

Raymond is having some psychological problems as a result of his injury and in all liklihood that is why his offenseive play is not contributing to the level it should. He really does need to be cut some slack.

#52 Auximenes

Auximenes

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

when raymond was good, he would use his speed to crash the net and boards
right now he's playing very perimeter and unless he gets bounces, he's not gonna score

it's all in the mind i'm afraid, I don't think his injury is a justifiable excuse anymore
Posted Image
The Russian Rocket - Vintage Canuck

#53 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

I am afraid Mason Raymond just doesn't have the body strength to fight through defenders on the rush, When on the second line I mostly have seen Mason getting pinched into the offensive boards or sandwiched coming down the middle. He has skill and speed and I can see AV's decision to put him on the cycle line with the Sedin's. Fact is he didn't really accomplish much. And yes I watched the game. He is being scratched tonight for a reason and I am sure that reason is not to rest him! Raymond's biggest redeeming quality this year is that he is fast enough to get back and recover defensively when he screws up.

#54 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I didn't compare anybody. I just pointed out that there is a completely different set of standards for Raymond than there is for The Sedins. And maybe there should be, but it seems to me that fair is fair, and if one player struggles, the whole team struggles. If Raymond had been put on the 1st line with the Twins and Raymond was the one who busted out, do you sincerely think there would be calls for the Twins to be a healthy scratch. Frack no, there wouldn't. It would be "Well, of course he scored two goals and an assist, he played with back to back art ross winners."
What I'm saying is that Raymond not producing is not what's ailing this team. It's the entire team not playing as cohesively as they ought to, even though they won.
When a man puts his health on the line for his team, his team ought to goddamn well hang in there for him if for no other reason than to show support. Yes, he's struggled, but we all have seen what he can do when he's confident, but a bunch of know it all jerks think that the best way to repay him is trade him for a bag of pucks rather than help him get back to the potential he has been proven to have.

Edited by Vansicle, 19 March 2012 - 12:20 PM.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.