The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Av...burrows Is Hungry Again And You Know It.

The Kassassin Train

Mason Raymond definitely isn't the answer but I kind of like Burrows with Hansen. Both play a similar "fly buzzing around that won't go away no matter how many times you swat at it" style of play and I think they give us a great 3rd line of checkers plus offensive potential. And so long as we continue with 4F and 1D on the PP he'll still get his chances to pick up points.

I'm sure they'll be reunited eventually but I'm just saying I like the look of the 3rd line with him on it right now

I don't think that's enough to justify things, though. That's like saying Crosby's looking good with his current linemates. Burrows is good enough by himself to make his linemates look good. And, dare I say... Raymond is bad enough to make his linemates look like crap...

My take on it is, why put Messier (Kassian) with Gretzky (twins) when you have Jari Kurri (Burrows)?

I don't think that's enough to justify things, though. That's like saying Crosby's looking good with his current linemates. Burrows is good enough by himself to make his linemates look good. And, dare I say... Raymond is bad enough to make his linemates look like crap...

My take on it is, why put Messier (Kassian) with Gretzky (twins) when you have Jari Kurri (Burrows)?

Its no coincidence that the Sedins started scoring the moment Burrows was taken off the top line.

Its no coincidence Hansen scored 4 goals in 3 games with the twins.

Its no coincidence Bitz and the Sedins scored 3 goals together in 4 periods.

For whatever reason, Burrows is no longer a good fit with the Sedins. They've only recently emerged from their slump, and that was exactly when AV decided to put Burrows on the 3rd line.

Now I'm not saying Burrows is a bad player, he is still one of our top-6 forwards easily, but he just doesn't fit the Sedins' cycle anymore, mostly because when he does cycle he tends to skate too far out, whilst the Sedins prefer a very tight cycle around the net and crease as opposed to extending from behind the net to the side boards which is what Burrows would try to initiate.

Burrows looked great skating freely on our 3rd line and gives us 2 20-goal scorers on our 3rd line - a common theme amongst Cup winners in the last 6 years. These are generally the guys who break open series and score big clutch goals in the SCF, so I'm in favour of leaving Burrows on the 3rd line while anyone such as Kassian, Bitz or Raymond can be turned into a nobody to a star on our top line.

I'm pretty sure the Burrdins will reunite but love that AV has changed things up. It creates the scenario that other teams won't really know what we'll look like going into the playoffs and it makes it more difficult for them to prepare against us...with the versatility our line up offers they just don't know what it will look like. And that's a beautiful thing, as they were starting to figure it out and now everything's a fly by night deal that mixes it up. Plus, it's good to move the guys around in case there comes the need to do so during the playoffs - they'll have a feel for being in different spots.

Burr makes things happen no matter where he's placed and his lack of ego means it doesn't affect him in any way if he is moved around. The ultimate team player.

I think AV will also re-unite the D-Pairings of Hamhuis-Bieksa & Edler-Salo about 4 games to the end of the regular season. At this point Av is just trying different combos to just get his team used of playing with different players just in case he has to switch things up in the playoffs due to injuries, difficult matchups ect.

One thing AV said recently was that he wanted the top players to show the others how to bring up their level of play. Could it be this explains last night lines? Playing with the Sedin's gives you a whole different sense of how offense works. Playing with Burrows could teach you how to work hard and make the smart plays.

Could be I'm reading something into the coaches words that isn't there but it does make some sense to me.

Mason Raymond doesn't need to be put on the third line again, he needs to be benched. 2 points in 20 games does not cut it for a 'top six' type guy with speed and supposed skill. I have sympathy in that he broke his back, somewhat, in the playoffs for us, but as a player, I have said for several years now we need an upgrade on Raymond, and now with no points even with the twins and going -2 in his last three games...come on....bench, dump in the offseason.

I think AV will also re-unite the D-Pairings of Hamhuis-Bieksa & Edler-Salo about 4 games to the end of the regular season. At this point Av is just trying different combos to just get his team used of playing with different players just in case he has to switch things up in the playoffs due to injuries, difficult matchups ect.

Agreed - there will be a sense of familiarity if (omg, knock on wood, pleasepleaseplease no) someone does go down to injury. As well, it makes it more difficult for other teams to prepare against us if they don't know what we'll look like come playoff time.

Mason Raymond definitely isn't the answer but I kind of like Burrows with Hansen. Both play a similar "fly buzzing around that won't go away no matter how many times you swat at it" style of play and I think they give us a great 3rd line of checkers plus offensive potential. And so long as we continue with 4F and 1D on the PP he'll still get his chances to pick up points.

I'm sure they'll be reunited eventually but I'm just saying I like the look of the 3rd line with him on it right now

Archived