Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Kassian Vs. Raymond With Sedins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Kassian vs. Raymond on 1st Line (209 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer Kassian over Raymond on 1st line? Assuming we don't touch the current 2nd and 3rd lines

1. Yes (161 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. No (46 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Dead weight we drafted, or dead weight we traded our star rookie for... hmmm....
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#62 Chong69

Chong69

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

I like Raymond because he knows how to cycle with the twins but neither he or the twins can create space by being in front of the net or by getting into the dirty areas.

Kassian can get into the rough areas but I'm not sure how he can cycle. It takes a while to see and understand how they play. From what I've seen from him on the second line, he appears to be able to make smart passes.

Best bet if we want to keep that line on a shake up would be Hansen or Lappiere with the former being the better bet. Both are right handed players that can get into the gritty areas. What makes Burr really successful on the first line is that he is willing to get into the greasy areas and going after the puck on the dump in. Hansen is really good at that and he has shown to have some finish.

I'd like to see a third line of Burr, Lappy and Raymond. There's some speed on this line and Burr and Lappy's still can create energy. Manny or Pahlsson can centre the 4th line with Kassian playing wing and taking occasional turns on other lines when others are underachieving.

#63 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Burr is averaging 30 goals per season in his last four.

Why would we give him fourth line minutes?

It is time for the Raymond rejuvenation project to come to an end.

#64 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Did anyone watch his game? He had two solid scoring opportunities; so close to it.
Posted Image

#65 raymond_haters_stop_hating

raymond_haters_stop_hating

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

honestly i dont see the point in criticizing raymond or av i mean its not like we are the coach or the gm. personally i think hansen should be on the 1st line with the sedins and the third line being kassian raymond and burr and i think that u guys might wanna start watching games raymond had a pretty good night vs jackets he did everything but score he had 2 scoring chances and the sedins scored and ur telling me he should be in the press box honestly people... :picard:

#66 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys, quit stroking kassian off under the table. Your hard on's for him are completely unwaranted. When he shows up and acually puts points on the board you have my permission to falash him.

#67 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

why the f*** not, hes not that huge of an asset and with bitz filling his role, we got a bigger guy that will actually FIGHT.. For the faceoffs, im pretty sure lapierre and Pahlsson can handle it, and if you see at the top, i said at least for ONE game. If Vigneault can put the sedins with raymond then why the hell not?! calm ur boner

Bitz won't be at 58.3% on faceoffs, that's why.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#68 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Did anyone watch his game? He had two solid scoring opportunities; so close to it.

The problem is that solid scoring opportunities with no goals is the story of his life. There is no denying that he works hard out there. An argument could be made that perhaps he even works too hard but the problem is despite countless scoring opportunities, he somehow manages to screw it up by either a) falling down, B) shooting the puck and missing the net, c) skating around pulling off nice moves until he bobbles and loses the puck or d) taking a low percentage shots from far.

You can't help feeling bad for him with everything he's gone through and there is no denying he's a good PKer and is quite good in the defensive zone but unless he somehow radically changes his game, I can't see why he should be in the lineup, let alone the first line, over other deserving players that could perhaps bring more to the team.

#69 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

I would like to see this tried out once before the playoffs, try kassian out, now is the time to try new things before the playoffs start.

But if it doesnt work out, I say put him on the fourth, because this kid needs time for growth, he has the potential, but he needs te extra time to grow.

Who knows something might click with him and the sedins, he does have a great skill set.

But he's proven to be effective on the fourth line with lappiere, they have good chemistry together and it could be a good checking line come playoff time.

#70 Tangerine

Tangerine

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

stop trying to rush kassian's development. he's not there yet. no point in giving him even more pressure on a line that's already having difficulty producing.

#71 tkoisthx

tkoisthx

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Burrows

That line has been shut down in 3 straight playoffs, save for the San Jose series... if it gets quiet again I would like to see Kassian on the 1st, Burrows on the 3rd as he is now (not as a punishment, but because he'd be the best third line winger in the league). Raymond with the Sedins is going to get clobbered in the playoffs.

#72 Nuck-Shot

Nuck-Shot

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

I wish. He is playing hard lets hope he gets a lot of stretch passes
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 alexandre the great

alexandre the great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

Burr is averaging 30 goals per season in his last four.

Why would we give him fourth line minutes?

It is time for the Raymond rejuvenation project to come to an end.

THIS!!!!!. But he really belongs with Kes. Who did he slay the dragon playing with? Im sick of Burr not getting the respect he deserves!!!. He is not a third liner!!!!. I want him to play a whole year on the second line and watch him put up the same numbers if not better(He has 1 less point than Kes), to shut up all the people who don't understand.

Watch AV put Burr with Kes as a last resort if we are in tough in the playoffs. I would bet my life it will happen!!!. Burr is the most clutch player on the team!!!!!.IM sick and tired of the amex line. Some CDC'ers are like children with a new toy!!. But they don't understand hockey.
Hockey is my Religion. The hockey gods do exist.<br />It makes me happy to see Burr succeed.Go Canucks!!

#74 alexandre the great

alexandre the great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

That line has been shut down in 3 straight playoffs, save for the San Jose series... if it gets quiet again I would like to see Kassian on the 1st, Burrows on the 3rd as he is now (not as a punishment, but because he'd be the best third line winger in the league). Raymond with the Sedins is going to get clobbered in the playoffs.

Burrows was with Kes when he single handedly beat the Hawks. 5pts in last 2 games. FOOL!!!.
Hockey is my Religion. The hockey gods do exist.<br />It makes me happy to see Burr succeed.Go Canucks!!

#75 Hugh Chardon

Hugh Chardon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:21 AM

Rome needs to play with the Sedins....it's our only hope.

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Neither Kassian (certainly not this year) nor Bitz would be any good as playoff 1st line regulars because of their average/poor defence and insufficient stamina.
Most of the teams we will meet in the playoffs will try to break hard on us, especially against our first 2 lines. That is why Raymond or Burrows is an ideal fit for the Sedins.

Both have the speed and the back checking ability to cancel out breaks. I sometimes think there are 2 Raymonds out there, his recovery is so fast and his stamina is unmatched.

This of course will be a cranial step too far for most of the MR haters to take in but thankfully no one listens to them anyway and AV has more hockey savvy in his toenail............
Kevin.jpg

#77 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Let Kass develop on the 4th line and if the games get ugly and teams try to pull a Boston on the Sedins give them a heavy dose of Bitz and Kassian on the wing. Let them beat the crap out of the rats and still have Burrows slot in with the twins. That is the reason Gillis got some big bodys this year. I hope Ballard can come back for the playoffs so we have some more grit on defence as well.

#78 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

I've been a Raymond supporter all along, but to be honest, I really don't care.

The Sedins will produce no matter who their winger is, and although the conventional wisdom suggests that a physical presence will open up more space for them, I believe that a player with a lot of speed can do the same.

Ultimately, I think we'll see Burrows back on that line, but the fact is, since Raymond has been on that line, the Twins have started producing again. Raymond hasn't unfortunately, but he has had better chances lately and I think it must have boosted his confidence somewhat.

Of course this brings up the cause vs. coincidence argument, but I think it at the very least has dispelled all of the "stupid move by AV" and "disaster" worries that were so prevalent when the move was first announced.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#79 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

I believe Kassian skill set matches up better with the Sedins than Raymonds. MayRays perimeter game is not goign to give the Sedins the net pressence they need or a player who is strong on the boards( Burrows is both of these and Ideally should play with the twins.) MayRay's only plus he brings to the line is his speed which was supposed to open up space for the twins but Kassians size can make space for the sedins. Plus Kassian is great along boards and is a big body that will go to the net. Logically Kassian is the better choice for that line but AV will do as he pleases with his lines and as long as the Nucks win who are we to argue.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#80 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

is this zacks dad? starting to seem like the cody threads.
the sedins are scoring with mayray!
how about let the rookie be happy to get some ice time, period.

The way things are going right now, Sedins will score with or without Raymond. Raymond hasn't really contributed anything when Sedins were scoring so I'm not sure how you can say that. Daniel has 3 points in 2 games and Henrik has 4. Raymond has 0. They also mostly have scored on power plays when Raymond doesn't play.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#81 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

I believe Kassian skill set matches up better with the Sedins than Raymonds. MayRays perimeter game is not goign to give the Sedins the net pressence they need or a player who is strong on the boards( Burrows is both of these and Ideally should play with the twins.) MayRay's only plus he brings to the line is his speed which was supposed to open up space for the twins but Kassians size can make space for the sedins. Plus Kassian is great along boards and is a big body that will go to the net. Logically Kassian is the better choice for that line but AV will do as he pleases with his lines and as long as the Nucks win who are we to argue.

This actually makes the most sense.

Honestly I think people need to understand that Kassian has time to grow. Putting him on the first line could be a huge problem. Think of the pressure already put on this kid.

How does putting him on the 1st put pressure on him? Unless the coach is telling him he better score a goal a game there's no pressure. The coach should put him on the 1st and tell him: "Ok, you're not there to score, you're there to open up some ice for the Sedins, hit people and above all protect the Sedins."

Edited by gumballthechewy, 19 March 2012 - 08:09 AM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#82 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

why the f*** not, hes not that huge of an asset and with bitz filling his role, we got a bigger guy that will actually FIGHT.. For the faceoffs, im pretty sure lapierre and Pahlsson can handle it, and if you see at the top, i said at least for ONE game. If Vigneault can put the sedins with raymond then why the hell not?! calm ur boner

Fighting is pointless in the playoffs. However I don't mind this move as Bitz brings some size to the line-up.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#83 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Fighting is pointless in the playoffs. However I don't mind this move as Bitz brings some size to the line-up.

Fighting isn't pointless, it would actually make more sense to fight in a playoff game vs a regular season game..... it's just uncommon. Your telling me someone fighting Shawn Thorton or Marchand would have been pointless last year?

#84 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Typical CDC...............they just can't see it, even when you spell it out. Raymond is there just as much for his defence on a basically slow line as his offence. Kassian or Bitz don't change that.
I'm not saying never play Kassian or Bitz up with the Sedins, I'm just saying it is a risky ploy.

The Sedins will score points with Raymond. That has been true in the past and it is starting to look good now.
Raymond's points are really not that important (although some regular scoring would be appreciated) as long as his defence and fore/back checking is so strong. It relieves the pressure from the Sedins, something which would not happen with Kassian and/or Bitz.

By the way Bitz is NOT a good/capable fighter. He will stand up, he will hit hard but he'll win very few fights in his own weight class. Kassian will I think eventually prove to be formidable, but for now he's got to stay away from guys who know the score like Staubitz or Thornton/McQuaid/Lucic. He will get pounded and risk concussions.
Kevin.jpg

#85 SaveFerris

SaveFerris

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I say yes because it's worth a longer look (Kass played 1st shift with them). He's has the size/grit that line needs plus he's actually quick on his skates and has great hands. Do it AV!
This post was written in 3B...3 Beers and it looks good.

#86 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Fighting isn't pointless, it would actually make more sense to fight in a playoff game vs a regular season game..... it's just uncommon. Your telling me someone fighting Shawn Thorton or Marchand would have been pointless last year?

Yep ... grown up NHL'ers are not afriad to get into a fight despite what many kids are led to believe.

Ask yourself why it's uncommon ... because teams don't like to win? I don't think that's it. Most likely because sitting in the penalty box for 5 minutes accomplishes very little for anyone.

Everyone is there to win hockey games, not feel tough about themselves.

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 March 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#87 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yes! IF Kassian uses his size and starts hitting again though. He's laid off the hits recenetly....and I don't know why
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#88 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

plus last i recall, we made it just fine last year to the cup final WITHOUT malholtra in the lineup, so stop being a lil b****

Actually, we struggled because of injuries in the Finals. We didn't "make it just fine", seeing as we didn't win. And I don't know if we were watching the same series, because he made an epic return in Game 2, and it boosted the morale of our team. His return to our lineup actually increased our chances of winning. Stop acting like a child and cut the name calling.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#89 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Try them both with the twins for a few games and carefully monitor the time spend in opposing zone v being pinned in their own. If it's close and production (of the line as a whole) is comparable then the edge should go to Kassian.

We all know exactly what's gone happen in the playoffs, if the lines stay as they are, when the Sedin abuse gets turned on full throttle... nothing! If one of ours does something at a later shift it will help but not nearly as much as taking care of business right then and there. Kassian offers the possibility that the Sedins go through playoffs less molested, ergo, more productive.

#90 nucksmax

nucksmax

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I say yes because it's worth a longer look (Kass played 1st shift with them). He's has the size/grit that line needs plus he's actually quick on his skates and has great hands. Do it AV!

agree - give the kid a chance. MayRay had his

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.