The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexander Radulov Cleared By Khl Team To Join Predators; Expected To Join This Week, To Play Thursday.

http://www.vancouver...9323/story.html

Don't underestimate Radulov. He is widely considered to be the greatest player outside of the NHL. He dominated the QMJHL and was warming up to the NHL as a 20-year old. He has an elite skillset. He has a superstar-calibre wristshot, a freakish backhand, has incredible hands, and has the talent to be a top-10 scorer in the NHL. He is known to be a very patient player and can create scoring opportunities with even the most limited space. Offensively, he is the complete package. Defensively, he has made improvements since leaving the NHL. Over the past four years, he has developed his skills and dominated the KHL.

If the Nashville Predators persuade Alexander Radulov to return to the NHL, they will be re-acquiring an offensive magician who has perfected new tricks since his act last played in Nashville.

"He has become a more cagey, savvy player," said Jim Johannson, USA Hockey's assistant executive director, who has seen Radulov play often in international play.

"He has a nose for the net, and he has courage as it relates to going to the front of the net and being around the traffic," Johannson said.

The read on Radulov has always been that he has a knack of finding space even in the best defensive coverage, and he knows what to do with that space. He had 152 points in 62 games in his last season playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

"To me he uses his energy the right way," Johannson said. "I know he's the kind of guy who might drive some coaches and scouts nuts, but I watch him and see a guy who uses his energy to be productive when it's time to be productive."

On the question of whether Radulov is now a more complete player, Johannson said: "I would have no hesitation of using him the final three minutes of five minutes of a tight hockey game because I know he will then play hockey. He will play the full shift."

Radulov, 25, was never known as a dynamic skater. "And that hasn't improved or changed," Johnson said, adding "but he has developed into a leader on the Russian national team, and that shows what they think of him over there."

"He is very crafty with the puck," said TSN analyst Mike Johnson. "He's dangerous on the power play. ... He's probably the same as he was when he left, just more of a man. He's a little bit stronger and shoots the puck a little bit better. He's still a fantastic, creative passer."

According to Sport-Express, Russia's biggest-selling daily sports newspaper, Alexander Radulov has sorted out his issues with his KHL team, Salavat Yulaev Ufa, and is now free to join the Nashville Predators. The team can now retain his rights even if he plays in the NHL this year.

Due to his situation having had his contract suspended, he is obligated to return to Nashville and finish his entry-level deal upon returning to the NHL. The waiver situation does not apply, as he was not a free agent upon leaving the NHL, nor is he now a free agent upon returning. In fact, it was a punishment so that he could not sign with whatever team he pleases as a free agent; any hope of his contract expiring while he was in Russia had been shut down.

The KHL has allowed Radulov to join the Predators, as have the NHL and the Predators. Throughout the past few weeks, he has been trying to make his return possible. The only obstacle was with his club team, Salavat, though that issue has now been dealt with. He should be on his way now.

http://prohockeytalk...-the-predators/

Get ready to see Radulov debut some time this week.

Edit: Both NBCSports and Nashville's own "The Tennessean" newspaper have echoed Sport-Express' report. Considering how prominent Sport-Express is in Russia, I'd assume it should be very reliable. I'm keeping an eye out for a second source to confirm, though, as nobody else has reported it just yet. Once TSN reports it, I'll post their article as well.

How were the Sedins in their first 2 years?

Henrik Sedin:

Year 1: 82 GP, 9 G, 19 PTS

Year 2: 82 GP, 16 G, 36 PTS

Daniel Sedin:

Year 1: 75 GP 20 G 34 PTS

Year 2: 79 GP 9 G 32 PTS

Now, Alex "Nothing Special" Radulov

Year 1: 64 GP 18 G 37 PTS

Year 2: 81 GP 26 G 58 PTS

Funny, by your logic, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, along with a plethora of other players are nothing special.

Your argument doesn't even have a leg to stand on.

Im not saying he isnt talented but just because he dominated the K doesnt mean he will be able to do it in the nhl, or to be such a factor that it makes the preds a cup favorite

People saying it puts them over the top also need to realize that this could jst as easily screw up the chemistry on the Preds.

He's going to end up displacing a player who has battled with the team all season. That doesn't always go over well with teammates.

Either way, if we end up in second, we wouldn't see them until the WCF.

Get ready to see Radulov debut on Thursday if he can arrive in Nashville within the next couple days. Below is Barry Trotz' take on the situation.

http://www.tennessea...lle%20Predators

"I know David talked to his agent and his agent said he was planning to make his way to Nashville, and it was the release that was holding him up. That's why he stayed the extra couple of days. He was planning to get on the plane Friday, from what I understand and he couldn't work out the release."

"It will be huge," Trotz said. "It gives us a deeper lineup. He’s a world class player and a world class talent. One thing Rad does is he’s passionate about winning and scoring goals and being a top player.

"I think it’s great timing this week. Hopefully he gets here quick enough. I don’t expect him to play against the Edmonton Oilers (Tuesday) but I’d like to see him in Pittsburgh (Thursday), if everything is correct."

Archived