The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler Joins "you Can Play"

jonnycanuck46

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

By no means am I a Bigot or Hater or anything stupid like that, but I have a problem with this.

I totally agree that people should have freedom to do what they want, but the game of hockey doesn't need this exposure IMO.

I think that there a players in the NHL even now that are gay or Bi or something. But the difference is they don't continuously annoy us with their speeches and parades and crap like that.

I say, be gay, be Bi (or whatever you are), but once you lace up the skates, play hockey. I think this is similar to the "ginger" thing. Nobody is hating on the gays or anyone, so just shutup and play the game. If your gay, your gay. Nuff Said.

Again, I totally don't care about what they want to do, but I'm just sick of hearing about this.

Jon

Guest AriGold

If people dont stand up for what they believe then we are worthless as a human.

Glad to see Kesler stand for something rather then being a mute. Hes in a powerful position in the world and is using it as a positive role model.

Shame on you Jon.

I have no idea why you would call this whining. There's a reason why NHL players don't come out publicly. This campaign is aiming to change that because there is no reason why anyone should be afraid to be who they are. Being gay shouldn't make your life more difficult.

Anyway, here's Kes' and Hank's takes on the project:

I thought I would add some substance to this thread so you guys know more about what your supposed to be arguing about. :rolleyes: .....

When Ryan Kesler gets behind something, it doesn’t matter if it’s a slap shot, body check or a worthy cause, he commits to it with everything he is.

Kesler is joining the fight for fairness in the locker room as part of You Can Play, a bold new initiative promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) athletes, founded by Patrick Burke and others, and backed more and more by the hockey and sports world every day.

Burke, a scout with the Philadelphia Flyers, is the son of Brian Burke, general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and brother of Brendan Burke, who came out to his family in 2007, publically in 2009 and died a year later in a car accident at the age of 21.

When Brendan told his family he was gay, they gave him the love and respect he needed and deserved, yet Brian and Patrick wondered how Brendan, manager of Miami University’ RedHawks men's ice hockey team, would be accepted within the sport.

When Brendan came out publically in 2009, the news was received with open arms and many hoped it would open doors for other LGBT athletes to speak freely about their sexuality.

Brendan was viewed as a pioneer before his tragic death and the Burke family ensured his legacy would be that of acceptance with the launch of You Can Play, which has gay athletes and straight allies teaming up for respect.

The list of NHL supporters reads like an all-star game roster, but Kesler isn’t raising his voice because it’s trendy. It’s also not a favour to Brian Burke, the one-time Vancouver Canucks general manager who drafted Kesler 23rd overall in 2003 and was also his GM as part of Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

No, Kesler is supporting You Can Play because he wholeheartedly believes in the cause.

“I thought that it was the least I could do,” said Kesler. “Obviously there are gay people out there and there’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s a way of life and the more I can do to support it and make it easier on people to do what they want to do to, the better.”

According to youcanplayproject.org, the mission of You Can Play Project is threefold:

-“You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation.

Mar1912_youcanplay_rr.jpg

-“You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team’s success.

-“You Can Play seeks to challenge the culture of locker rooms and spectator areas by focusing only on an athlete’s skills, work ethic and competitive spirit.”

Focusing on what an athlete brings to the table to help the team win is what Kesler said the Canucks locker room is all about.

He’s proud of that and said he’ll forever go to war with a teammate regardless of personal differences.

“In this room we’re all friends, it feels like we’re family, we have each other’s back. It shouldn’t matter if you’re gay or not, we go out and we work hard for each other,” said Kesler, adding that the stigma of homosexuality extends past the boundaries of sports.

“It goes much further than just the locker room, it’s definitely a stigma in society too where there’s a lot of close-minded people. It’s the 21st century, people need to get with the times and be accepting.

“I have no problem with it and obviously I’m going to speak out.”

Kesler has filmed a public service announcement pledging his support to the campaign, if you want to help You Can Play in the fight for fairness in the locker room click here.

I don't see why you care. Or why you think acknowledging being gay is offensive but being photographed with you wife or gf at every event is fine. Only people who have a problem with gay people have a problem with knowing someone is gay.

But hey, let's take their wonderful example to heart and not exclude any fan based on their homophobia. If you can cheer, you can cheer.

The west coast, geopolitically speaking, is more open minded to issues regarding sexual orientation than other parts of North America. So something like this may seem like 'common sense' to those who are accepting of LGBT community. My cousin is gay, and is one of the most sincere, and honest human beings I've ever met. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to come out to the rest of our family yet, so an organization like this gets my full support.

Will a gay NHL player come out any time soon? Your guess is as good as mine. However, its the message this organization is sending to young athletes; that sexual orientation should never be a deterrent. Thats the most important part.

Guest Lelongooo

Hey if people are allowed their sexual freedom and the right to not be trashed because they gay, then religious people need to be allowed the same right. To call someone a crazy bible humper is just as offensive and the same type of steriotype as it is to call someone a f@g. Discriminating against a group of people doesn't make discrimanation dissapear.

A homosexual should have every human right offered to a heterosexual. Religious people can go into a locker room and say "I am a Christian" and there will not be a personal discussion over its moral and ethical implications, at least not to the extent of someone going into a lockerroom and procclaiming their different sexual orientation.

Ironically the people who are saying that religious types should have more openness in the locker room are forgetting that it is religious sects that have caused the negative light to be shined on homosexuals to begin with.

A homosexual will not hate a heterosexual for being heterosexual. Why can't that work vice versa?

Archived