The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler Joins "you Can Play"

jonnycanuck46

That's so funny, if nobody is "hating" on them anymore, why hasn't anyone came out? Its

people like you that make things so difficult. If you think i'm talking out of my ***, I have a gay brother and he's been bullied his entire life, this

program is great and should be a message in every professional sports league.

"Gay people should stop shoving their agendas down our throats" - any comment like this is made by a homophobe.

Homosexuality can be proven, god cannot so in my opinion people who believe in a magical bearded man in the sky open themselves to perfectly fair criticism. Man I seriously can't even beleive people who think like the OP

Actually I think people who use god to hide their homophobia are cowards, and the origin of most homophobia is religion. God damn ignorant if you ask me. And as far as bigotry and bias not existing...this is a thought so ridiculous it basically doesn't even warrant a reply. I don't even want to get into what I really think of religion because I would probably offend someone, but needless to say I think its more harmful to society than homosexuality.

Actually, their comment was correct. Only poeple who have a problem with gay people have a problem hearing about gay people. You can pretend it's not true, but the truth is still apparent. You obviously don't have a problem with heterosexuals and that's why you're not complaining about hearing about them all the time despite the fact that heterosexuals are talked about and on full display far more often than gay people ever have been or ever would be. The vast majority of TV, movie and book characters are heterosexual. The vast majority of sex depicted on TV and in movies is heterosexual and because of biased ratings, they are allowed to be far more graphic. There are even several "reality" dating shows dedicated exclusively to heterosexuality. If constantly having to hear about who got a rose on The Bachelor doesn't make you uncomfortable, then hearing that gay people exist shouldn't either.

I'm so proud of this initiative and even prouder that the canucks as well as kes and hank are helping in this cause. over the years, we've heard of people being bullied because they are gay and worst taking their own lives because they can no longer bear it. through this cause just like what many have said is here to help gay athletes come out and be open without fear. but there will always be people in my humble opinion who will try to shove their beliefs down our throats because it doesn't conform to their own beliefs. its just sad that such individual exists in today's society no matter how much has been done.

With the overwhelming response to Hank and Kes showing their support for the NHL's LGBT community I thought it only fitting that we here at CDC embrace and show our support for the LGBT here in our very own community!

So consider this forum and this thread your very own closet to come out of and remember!

YOU CAN POST!

Anyone who thinks this is a non-issue is either naive or prejudice. Google my name. Jordan Smith gay bashing Vancouver. As a former junior hockey player, I know first hand the absolute terror I faced in others finding out my secret. Now as an airline pilot years later I still struggle with being completely open because of others ignorance. I don't wear it on my sleeve, but if someone asks me if I'm married or have kids, I shoot it down pretty fast and divulge. People just don't understand the anxiety one faces when living a lie. The stereotypes are absolutely false. There are as many gay guys that are completely straight acting/looking as flamboyant/feminine ones. We just are not identifiable. If we went by the 10% rule, there might be 100 gay guys in the NHL. Everyone one of them in the closet, because of fear. I was very proud of Brendan Burke. His father deserves a lot of credit as well. The only way to combat ignorance is with education. Thank you hank and ryan for showing leadership and maturity.

Jordan M Smith

As much as I don't agree with the op's point of view (and everyone is entiled to their opinions & beliefs), I'm glad you post the thread. Makes people talk about it and that's what's needed.

When I first heard about the "You Can Play" project 3 weeks ago, I signed on their cause right away. Also glad to see some of our Canucks players in support for the end to discrimination, bullying in professional sports.

Hope some NHL players will come out publicly about being gay. Being gay is NOT a sexual preference but a way of life. It's got nothing to do with religion or what's going on in the bedroom. Being gay is being human like everyone else on this earth who cares/

Way to go Kes, and hope my other 2 Canucks favorite players come out and support the initiative as well (see signature below :) )

Go :canucks: Go ..... Be Proud .... Be Loud :emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

Hoping for a win tonight in Chicago. Come out and play Canucks ! :bigblush:

Actually, hearing about the bachelor does make me uncomfortable haha.I hate those shows!

I'm on your side but I gotta call bad arguments when I see them. Sorry dude, people don't point out their heterosexuality and it isn't blatantly obvious (ever! The people who seem most hetero can be the ones who aren't). Many GBL people are also unnoticeable but there are a minority of gay/bi/lesbian and transsexual/vestites who do rub it in your face (usually not literally!). Despite the fact that (I need to do a fact check on this but I am pretty sure) the majority of people are at least a little bit bi, the people who would define themselves as straight vastly outnumber those who do not. Obviously the majority of things in the media are going to be about straight people. I support people who are GBLT but there should be the same standards for them as for us.

uhh.... yeah they do. Unaware of the many teen suicides that are the result of gay bullying?

I think it's great they're doing this. I'm sure there are a lot of gay hockey fans and players. It must means a lot to them (especially the kids) to see NHL players (some of the toughest athletes in the world) promote the "you can play" campaign.

And when bullies see that these NHL athletes are standing up for them, maybe they'll think twice about picking on someone because of their sexual orientation.

Anyone who thinks this is a non-issue is either naive or prejudice. Google my name. Jordan Smith gay bashing Vancouver. As a former junior hockey player, I know first hand the absolute terror I faced in others finding out my secret. Now as an airline pilot years later I still struggle with being completely open because of others ignorance. I don't wear it on my sleeve, but if someone asks me if I'm married or have kids, I shoot it down pretty fast and divulge. People just don't understand the anxiety one faces when living a lie. The stereotypes are absolutely false. There are as many gay guys that are completely straight acting/looking as flamboyant/feminine ones. We just are not identifiable. If we went by the 10% rule, there might be 100 gay guys in the NHL. Everyone one of them in the closet, because of fear. I was very proud of Brendan Burke. His father deserves a lot of credit as well. The only way to combat ignorance is with education. Thank you hank and ryan for showing leadership and maturity.

Jordan M Smith

The reason it's on the 6 o'clock news is because people still start violence towards the GLBT community. Just yesterday, the most recent attack is in the courts. The bassi thugs. Attention is needed because of the pockets of hatred that still exist. No one should have to live a lie, or fear walking up the street with a loved one.

The reason it's on the 6 o'clock news is because people still start violence towards the GLBT community. Just yesterday, the most recent attack is in the courts. The bassi thugs. Attention is needed because of the pockets of hatred that still exist. No one should have to live a lie, or fear walking up the street with a loved one.

The only point I am making is this: There are a handful of homosexuals who CONSTANTLY parade around and mention their status incessantly to everyone. MOST people, from what I have seen, have just accepted gays in society and moved on. Now I am TOTALLY aware that the discrimination still exists. But these people that are being discriminated against have lots of supporters now.

I am not sure I read the post correctly - but did some say that like racism its not an issue anymore? If like racism, its not an issue - then why is there a 17 yr old African-American boy dead in Florida and 2 people on trial for gay bashing here in Vancouver.

Archived