The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler Joins "you Can Play"

jonnycanuck46

Bravo, once again, for the Canucks leading the way. When you're in the position that high profile athletes are, that voice is a powerful one. So to use it to reach out to those who need extra support is something very special and will be heard.

As someone who has many gay friends, it's important to send the message and accept gay people as people, nothing more. Whether it be hockey players or the neighbour next door, the stigma attached to being gay should have been a thing of the past long ago.

You know what.. PEOPLE like you are the reason that the NHL need to do this. Seriously you get your knickers/boxers tied in a knot just because Kesler and other NHL players are going out of their way to say they don't care about someone's sexuality and that they should be able to play hockey...and you have an issue with this? SHAME ON YOU!

This.

There is still a lot of hate and a lot of hateful words (such as f*g) being used on and off the ice. This project is about eliminating those things so that LGBT players can feel safe and comfortable "coming out".

I am so happy that the Canucks are in support of this.

This is exactly why programs like this are great.

This oft-heard idea that 'being gay is fine, I just don't wan't to hear about it' is garbage and is way off base. Being gay is not just a private issue. If a person cannot stand up and be who they are publicly without discrimination, there is a problem. Not long ago, homosexuality was a criminal offence. This is why Parades aren't about waving beliefs in your face, they are about standing up and saying 'this is who we are and we are here in public so we can't be pushed to the (often criminal) margins where we will end up otherwise." This is a public and political action. The same goes for being openly gay--on a hockey team or anywhere else. It matters that a person doesn't have to hide a huge part of there life. (If they do have to, there's a problem no?) I don't mean to speak for gay people, that's not my place. I just find hearing that idea frustrating.

That's so funny, if nobody is "hating" on them anymore, why hasn't anyone came out? Its people like you that make things so difficult. If you think i'm talking out of my ***, I have a gay brother and he's been bullied his entire life, this program is great and should be a message in every professional sports league.

Not defending the unnecessary religous insult, but in no way is referencing someone's religion or religious text worse than calling a gay man a term which is only used for gay men because of murderous hate crimes. Originally the term "f@g" referred to a bundle of sticks used for kindling. It began being used to mean gay men when they were burned alive at the feet of supposed witches. While "Bible thumper" might be an insult meant to diminish the importance or validity of someone's faith, it is no where near the level of a term related to the murder of thousands of gay men simply for existing.

Someone throws a banana at Wayne Simmonds, everyone gets in a huge fuss about it.

Barch (?) allegedly calls Subban some sort of racial remark, and everyone gets in a huge fuss about it

Players call other players f_gs, or homos, or gay every single day, and nobody cares.

It's time to change that. Those people Sjould be allowed to openly identify themselves as homosexual, in the same way that people that are black identify themselves as such.

K but do you seriously think that if a gay guy joined the Canucks, anyone would give a crap? Some people don't agree with homosexuality, and they have a right to. Doesn't mean they're haters lmao! And those guys who bullied your brother are total pricks!!! Man, all I'm saying is that I don't think the gay community needs to keep shoving the agenda down our throats, we know they're gay, and MOST people just let it slide.

K but do you seriously think that if a gay guy joined the Canucks, anyone would give a crap? Some people don't agree with homosexuality, and they have a right to. Doesn't mean they're haters lmao! And those guys who bullied your brother are total pricks!!! Man, all I'm saying is that I don't think the gay community needs to keep shoving the agenda down our throats, we know they're gay, and MOST people just let it slide.

Bible Thumper is much worse than f@g??? Can we please stop with the BS sympathy for the group who created this problem?? I do not see too many Gay people preaching that Christians or straight people will burn in hell for eternity. Comparing the the two is straight up MORONIC

Holy mother fer. I don't swear and I don't get riled up..but what a bunch of ignorant pricks!!!

No one hates on gays anymore? You kidding me? Obviously you havent strayed far from the pacific north west.

And ya, the full on hate and heckeling has gone down a ton, still there mind you, but that isn't even the problem.

The problem is that there are still a ton of players uncomfortable with sharing a locker room with a G/B person (understandable if they were hitting on a guy, but still). And there are lots of coaches, especially at lower levels, that will not push for a talented GB players success as much as someone who appears to be straight. People thinking this is a non issue are the ones with an issue. It is a big deal to step up like Kesler and I fully support him.

I thought I would add some substance to this thread so you guys know more about what your supposed to be arguing about. :rolleyes: .....

When Ryan Kesler gets behind something, it doesn’t matter if it’s a slap shot, body check or a worthy cause, he commits to it with everything he is.

Kesler is joining the fight for fairness in the locker room as part of You Can Play, a bold new initiative promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) athletes, founded by Patrick Burke and others, and backed more and more by the hockey and sports world every day.

Burke, a scout with the Philadelphia Flyers, is the son of Brian Burke, general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and brother of Brendan Burke, who came out to his family in 2007, publically in 2009 and died a year later in a car accident at the age of 21.

When Brendan told his family he was gay, they gave him the love and respect he needed and deserved, yet Brian and Patrick wondered how Brendan, manager of Miami University’ RedHawks men's ice hockey team, would be accepted within the sport.

When Brendan came out publically in 2009, the news was received with open arms and many hoped it would open doors for other LGBT athletes to speak freely about their sexuality.

Brendan was viewed as a pioneer before his tragic death and the Burke family ensured his legacy would be that of acceptance with the launch of You Can Play, which has gay athletes and straight allies teaming up for respect.

The list of NHL supporters reads like an all-star game roster, but Kesler isn’t raising his voice because it’s trendy. It’s also not a favour to Brian Burke, the one-time Vancouver Canucks general manager who drafted Kesler 23rd overall in 2003 and was also his GM as part of Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

No, Kesler is supporting You Can Play because he wholeheartedly believes in the cause.

“I thought that it was the least I could do,” said Kesler. “Obviously there are gay people out there and there’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s a way of life and the more I can do to support it and make it easier on people to do what they want to do to, the better.”

According to youcanplayproject.org, the mission of You Can Play Project is threefold:

-“You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation.

Mar1912_youcanplay_rr.jpg

-“You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team’s success.

-“You Can Play seeks to challenge the culture of locker rooms and spectator areas by focusing only on an athlete’s skills, work ethic and competitive spirit.”

Focusing on what an athlete brings to the table to help the team win is what Kesler said the Canucks locker room is all about.

He’s proud of that and said he’ll forever go to war with a teammate regardless of personal differences.

“In this room we’re all friends, it feels like we’re family, we have each other’s back. It shouldn’t matter if you’re gay or not, we go out and we work hard for each other,” said Kesler, adding that the stigma of homosexuality extends past the boundaries of sports.

“It goes much further than just the locker room, it’s definitely a stigma in society too where there’s a lot of close-minded people. It’s the 21st century, people need to get with the times and be accepting.

“I have no problem with it and obviously I’m going to speak out.”

Kesler has filmed a public service announcement pledging his support to the campaign, if you want to help You Can Play in the fight for fairness in the locker room click here.

Archived