The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coho With 2 Pts

How is Grags doing by the way?..

I try watching vancouver when i can, but thats not very often.. I never liked him in buffalo and was glad to see him go TBH..

He was always caught out of position and rarely achieved anything when he pinched in.. Tons of turnovers too, but that is going to come with a puck moving d man.. Either way, never a fan although he did play well (led the teams in PTS) in the playoffs last year..

For someone as bad a you describe it is curious how he managed to have, by far, Buffalo's best plus/minus. May be a bit early to get too smug about the trade. Gragnani moves the puck very well, he took a few risks the first few games, but has settled down and will fit in very nicely - he skates very well which allows him to retrieve and move pucks quickly exiting his own zone - the young guy has a lot of tools to develop. Kassian likewise - a whole lot of potential - good speed, good skill, good grit, good hockey sense. Wouldn't think twice about making these trades again.

Im just stating my feelings and what i witnessed over and over watching grags..The only reason he wasnt sent back down or scratched most of the year with the sabres was because of the injuries to our d men.. Lindy even made the point himself in one of his press conferences saying "we have no choice".. That was because his constant mistakes..

Plus/Minus is by far the most overrated stat in all of sports..

Im not analyzing the trade, as i think it was a good trade for both teams.. each team got what they wanted/needed with the primary players Hodgson and Kassain.. We needed a top 2 center and the nucks needed some grit and a young prospect with room to develop.. I feel it was a good trade for us because we have other players that can and have filled kassain's would be role..

I see - you are just saying your feelings about watching Gragnani over and over (for a whole half season)... He obviously had a lot of negative pressure on him and high expectations - and Buffalo, expecting to be Cup contenders, were floundering around as a whole - complaining that a rookie was not ready to step up and fill your gaps....? Maybe Buffalo should have signed another truckload of free agents...But glad Buffalo gave up on Gragnani - and look forward to seeing what he can do with support, in a role that suits him.

Likewise, Sulzer wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks lineup - but that doesn't mean he is not a good defenseman - I like Sulzer - he is a solid guy, but the move was a good one for him, as he deserved a shot in the NHL on a team that has a shallow blueline - hence Buffalo. Likewise Hodgson thought he was ready to be a second line center - so the Canucks found him a team lacking depth at centre. Mike Gillis is obviously a very nice guy.

But plus/minus - the most over-rated statistic in all of sports. What a silly over-statement.

I think scoring (into an open net) "is by far the most over-rated stat in all of sports"...

But I could see why a Sabre fan would say that - most of your team is used to having more goals scored by the opposition when they are on the ice. :bigblush: Hodgson seems to have gotten a taste of that as well...

Oh and your thread - Cody got a few points... 6 pts in 14 games and (an over-rated) -3 - that translates into a stunning 35ish point season and -18... not really worth gloating over yet.

]

You do realize he played 65+ games in a sabres uniform right?..

I also watched him in Portland/Rochester.. Keep telling yourself in the back of your head that he's going to improve and turn into a top 4 defenseman, and you'll quickly be dissappointed..

As for our players being used to having more goals scored against, it sure didn't work out that way March 3rd :bigblush: or rarely in the last 25 games.. The sabres are now fully healthy and playing to the expectations we had in the beginning of the season..

And It's funny you bring up Cody's stats, even before he was traded he was in a slump and the whole nucks fan base was still swallowing him..

You do realize he played 65+ games in a sabres uniform right?..

I also watched him in Portland/Rochester.. Keep telling yourself in the back of your head that he's going to improve and turn into a top 4 defenseman, and you'll quickly be dissappointed..

As for our players being used to having more goals scored against, it sure didn't work out that way March 3rd :bigblush: or rarely in the last 25 games.. The sabres are now fully healthy and playing to the expectations we had in the beginning of the season..

And It's funny you bring up Cody's stats, even before he was traded he was in a slump and the whole nucks fan base was still swallowing him..

I'll say it again for the people who have a tough time with reading comprehension.. I also watched him in Portland/Rochester..

Now, I'm no NHL scout or talent evaluating guru, but even in the ahl he looked just average to me, sometimes below average.. Yes he's young and he could improve, I just don't think he will.. That's all..

I'm just glad he's somebody else's project..

]

Grags is Marc-Andre Bergeron v2, with less offensive potential. He had a decent playoffs with the Sabres last year but he's been horrendous otherwise. Buffalo fans were happy to get rid of him.

The Sabres are a good team who were riddled with injuries this year. They didn't really lose anything when trading Kassian and Gragnani because those two players were easily replaceable. People are obviously pissed that Hodgson has found his game in Buffalo while Kassian is struggling immensely.

I'll say it again for the people who have a tough time with reading comprehension.. I also watched him in Portland/Rochester..

Now, I'm no NHL scout or talent evaluating guru, but even in the ahl he looked just average to me, sometimes below average.. Yes he's young and he could improve, I just don't think he will.. That's all..

I'm just glad he's somebody else's project..

Archived