The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "officiating"

The Magician

It is NOT the reffs job to decide the game and pick and choose what rules they want to enforce, in any other sport he would get FIRED as he is CLEARLY not doing his job. Their job is to:

referee [ˌrɛfəˈriː]n

2. (General Sporting Terms) the umpire or judge in any of various sports, esp football and boxing, responsible for ensuring fair play according to the rules

What kind of a professional sport clearly allows blatant miss calls, non-calls, phantom calls, uneven calls...clearly such an organization is negligent exhibiting shady operations. The rules are there for a reason...to protect the players and ensure fair play, unless, it is clearly NOT in the leagues interest to ensure either.

shady league = shady reffing

The officiating these days is brutal. Absolutley BRUTAL. Atleast thats the common way to describe it in this second half of the season. Your really not going to call that high stick to keslers throat bull call Hansen for "goaltender interference" when it was the wilds own player that took his foot out? Are you seriouse? Howcome everyone can see this except the refs? Kesler's next shift out there is a huge red welt on his neck from the high stick. And not only today against Minnesota it seems like its everygame now. How is the team with the best PP in the NHL suppose to win if they're not calling things I can see from my house on my couch? The "Officials" are paid money every game to be honest and call the obviouse but apparently the NHL are desperate enough to hire blind people that can skate. This is the top hockey league in the world and we end up with officiating like this? Pathetic.

Oh yeah and in the playoffs when they supposedly "let it go" will be even worse than now.

Another thread filled with people complaining about officiating who know nothing about officiating?

Did you know that every single fan base thinks the refs are out to get their team? Did you ever stop to think it might be because people remember the missed/wrong calls because they stand out more?

Refs miss stuff because they're human beings. Why is everyone to stupid to figure that out?

Are you kidding me?? That epic kick trip on Sedin in the last few seconds cost us a 6-4 powerplay. That 'mistake' led to the 2-0 goal and possibly the game. In fact, every single non call during the entire game may end up being the one that costs us. Whatever the case, the game has lost its spontaneity and the 'game management' is making sure good teams have to play extra hard to win while getting beaten up in the process. Its no longer who has a better team, its who can exploit the rules/refs the best in any given game.

Another thread filled with people complaining about officiating who know nothing about officiating?

Did you know that every single fan base thinks the refs are out to get their team? Did you ever stop to think it might be because people remember the missed/wrong calls because they stand out more?

Refs miss stuff because they're human beings. Why is everyone to stupid to figure that out?

I usually don't vocally complain to much on these boards about officiating, but this is getting ridiculous. For the past few months especially it has been just pathetic. I hope they do something about this in the CBA.

Quit it.

Everyone knows the Hansen call was crap. The ref did it because two seconds earlier Hansen went down and looked at the ref with disgust when he didn't call anything. Hansen deserved a call just for that piece of unsportsmanlike crap.

I am a big fan of the Canucks, but I see a lot of whining these days from the players. It starts with Henrik. Cut that crap out please. He doesn't dive, but he sure does go over to the refs a lot to argue calls. It pisses me off. Kesler too. His attitude is different from last year. He constantly throws his arms up looking for a call. It affects their play, and it affects the way the games are called. Trying to buy a call from a ref more often buys you time in the box. It backfires.

CUT THAT CRAP OUT PLEASE. SACK UP AND PLAY THROUGH THE UPS AND DOWNS THAT HAPPEN IN EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Actually you're the stupid one, Gauntlet. Real stupid.

You're either beyond help mentally or just blissful in your ignorance. Human beings make mistakes, yes. However to chronically make mistakes game after game after game........Well, that's either collusion or incompetence.

And you would know incompetence writing a thread like your's Gauntlet.

Do I have to repeat myself? Did you read the title of this thread or my post? This is a thread about the officiating, not the effort by the Canucks, if you want to talk about that, go to PGT. I'm making a point that in some games you need to rely on your PP because teams WILL shut you down 5 on 5, thus making the excuse 'we should have tried harder and not relied of the refs' obsolete. Many teams thrive on the PP which they are absolutely entitled to do seeing as its part of the game. Calling less penalties means those teams have to change the way they play. Did the league send out a memo last year stating their intentions? I doubt it.

it is good for the NHL if the blues take #1, it is good for the NHL if they keep the race for playoff spots close, it is good for the NHL for the Nucks to be in the playoffs possition doesn't matter basically guaranteed a spot.

they are not going to call the games fair esp when 1 team is fighting for a spot and the other is coasting into the playoffs with no fear of losing there spot.

do i like it no but it is obvious that game management is in full effect towards the end of the season... smae thing last year same thing the years before... and no not just against the nucks.

not a conspiracy but an understanding of what is good for the NHL.

Archived