The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "officiating"

The Magician

Haven't read the whole thread so if someone had already bitched about this then oh well. The officiating in this league is easily the worst of the 4 major sports.

First of all Daniel should have been given 2 minutes for boarding Keith, if not 5 and maybe even a game. Second, please someone tell me how a guy can do something so bad that he is suspended for 5 games at this time of year yet he is allowed to finish the game in which he committed the infraction?

How many times have you seen an infraction which leads to a major suspension where the offending player is allowed to finish the game? These refs are too afraid to toss players and it's going to lead to some very serious injuries. It already has.

People bitching for suspensions to Sedin and Keith are missing the real issue here. The refs in this game should be suspended. Take a page from the CFL who this season much to my surprise actually canned a few officials citing missed calls.

More bad reffing than some conspiracy, but no doubt if Keith gets 5 and a game then all the retaliation and after the whistle stuff would have been minimized and the Hawks probably wouldn't have gotten 5 straight pp and the final score may have been different.

But the ref is afraid to make a "tough call" against the Hawks in Chicago. (I know if WASN'T a tough call)

I remember (kinda, but I might be wrong) I think it was Kerry Fraser's first year and maybe even one of his first games in the NHL and he gave the Canucks 2 penalty shots in a game in either Montreal or Detroit. All I remember is Jim Robson commenting on how gutsy Fraser was for a young ref for making those calls. As it turns out he was one of the best. The guys today could learn something from him.

Archived