The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking Advantage Of The Lack Of Penalties Called

DownUndaCanuck

So lately the refs have obviously decided to stop calling penalties and powerplays have been going down ever since the new year. Whether this is to blame for all the good teams' current slumps is debatable, but one things for sure - the playoffs will be very similar to the how the current games are being called.

The fact is that calls are going neither way, they're just not being made so why not take advantage of this, similarly to how Boston did against the Canucks?

We should be playing on the edge - going for a borderline hit if its there, not letting up, throwing the extra slash or cross-check before a linechange or even slip a casual high stick every now and then.

I don't remember the last time a Canuck player really initiated a scrum with a dirty play - we're always the ones who have to defend ourselves and this is why we're losing these games where we don't get the calls. The players are cautious out there of being targetted instead of taking the initiative and targetting other players.

Tonight's game was a perfect example, right out of the SCF. A big reason we fail to score in these games where no penalties are called isn't just the lack of powerplays, its that our players are too frazzled out there and they play cautious - you can't change that no matter how mentally tough you are. Watching your linemate get a cross-check to the back after dumping the puck in makes you realise it could happen at any time so the players are all weary of that.

On the otherhand if we start initiating, we take the front-foot and the opponent is the one who's scared of us. This Canucks team clearly can't blow away teams anymore with its offence or amazing defence because its simply not the dominant force it was last season, but we have experience and should use it - play dirty, scare other teams and win these sorts of terribly-reffed games.

When playoff's start, we'll start competing A LOT harder (same goes with other team's) but when we have a full healthy roster, and playing at our hardest, we're a force. A bigger force then other team's out there. I think last year's defeat is enough motivation to get 16 wins. Especially if we play Chicago first round again and beat them.

Our guys really need to learn that they need to play not on the edge but beyond it. Being outright dirty to the point of illegal is the way to exploit refs creating "parity". It's unfortunate and its a terrible state for the game to be in but if all the teams are busy playing a sleazy game, fans will get disinterested and reffing will have to change. Giving the NHL too much of what they want is really the only way to show them what a stupid idea this sort of game is and solve the problem.

The thing is, when the bruins put teams through their "punk test" the refs usually even up the penalties. I get a feeling that if we are borderline dirty and throw big hits, we will be ripped apart by the media and the PP's will be 5-1 for the other team. When we don't do ANYTHING wrong the penalties will be 1-1. When we are the ones getting beat up, it will be at best 4-3, definitely not worth it. It's a lose lose.

OP makes a valid point about last night's game being called like a playoff game, but I have a couple of issues:

First, I don't really see us being successful if we "goon it up". It's not really the Canucks' style. That being said, Kassian, Lappy, Weise, Sammy the Bull and Hansen should be hitting everything that moves from here on in.

Second, I don't really know if last night was an example of "game management". To me, it looked like the zebras just had a bad night. They had no problem pulling Burrows out of a scrum, even though Heatley obviously deserved a penalty as well, They also missed an obvious high stick on Kes which I think would be called 100% of the time, had it been detected by either ref.

Have you been watching canucks hockey for the past several years. If we play dirty we get penaltys. Refs put their wistle away for us but continue to call penaltys on us, even when we dont do anything wrong. Phantom interfernce calls, lookin like last year playoffs where we got penalized for being penalized. It aint gonna change, couple years back D Sedin started to stand up for himself against blackhawks and got penalized, the media says he lost composure, then next year he doesnt stand up for himself he is called weak... Its a no win situation for the canucks , only thing refs cant stop are goals...... oh wait they did that against Calgary in the SCF against Tampa... nevermind refs and the NHL win.

Not the refs fault that the Canucks scored 0 goals. Plain and simple, the Canucks are playing lazy, I don't give a crap, I'm waiting for the playoffs, I'm not going to get injured before the next series and it just doesn't make any difference if we win or lose. Obviously these millionaires get paid to show up, not to perform at their highest level at this point in the season. Unfortunately, when you deal with 20 to 30 year old millionaires that know everything there is to know, it's pretty hard to get them going.

I don't know, but it seems like they are trying to play just hard enough to win some games without playing too hard and getting hurt before the playoffs. They know how important it is now for everyone to be at 100% right from the first game. If they all were going full out hitting and playing dirty there's more chance the other team will respond the same way.

Whoever said it earlier is correct; if you are Boston and you take 50 cheap shots, you know the officials will only call a handful, let a lot slide, and find ways to even up the penalties as best as possible regardless of who deserves them. If you are Vancouver and you do that, the officials will be all over you. It's a business. It's the way the WWE/NBA/NHL or whatever you want call it has worked for years now, and we have to accept it. The only way to beat it is with amazing play and lots of goals.

If the refs are not going to call the penalties then they better start calling it equal. Last night the game was won by the refs. Either stick that whistle up there u know what or use it. They are making the NHL look bad and it is in due time someone gets seriously hurt. They are really taking the gusto out of the game. The NHL will lose fans this way. The short end of the stick is getting old. Maybe time to just start beating the bejesus out of players!!

Archived