The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking Advantage Of The Lack Of Penalties Called

DownUndaCanuck

It's not rocket science here...we just have to score.

Last night was another example of the way the games will be called in the playoffs. Refs put their whistles away, and when that happens, scoring becomes hard work...and hard work hasn't been seen around these parts for a good couple of months.

Forwards aren't going to the "dirty" areas in front of the net, so our game has become a perimeter game. Not going to pot many goals from the side boards where the twins like to work. Forwards are not coming back hard enough to help the defence out, hence the unbelievable number of odd man rushes we seem to be giving up the last few weeks.

The defence seems unwilling or unable to make opposition forwards pay a price for standing in front of our net or crashing our crease. Shane Doan's goal in the Phoenix game was symbolic of the issues with our defence.

This team needs to stop playing for powerplays that may not come with playoff style hockey. All of these issues could be resolved with plain hard work and a will to do it. If they can get back to this, the goals will come.

I get what the OP is saying and would have to agree to a certain extent. It doesn't have to be 'goon' hockey and I don't totally concur with going for 'cheap shots', what it means is all out physical play without holding back for fear of a penalty. Refs (theoretically) are still going to call a lot of trips and high sticks (I know... Kesler's neck) but knowing a lot of physical play might not be called permits teams to take thing into their own hands to a certain extent. It's just about adjusting your game, and it has to be done.

We have physical enough players, they just need to use their physicality - though a meaningless game against Minny might not be the place to start, I would imagine it shows on Wednesday.

The league wants the play-offs to be a battle, if we play too soft, they will bounce us out. If we would battle harder and play a little more of that north american smash mouth style, they would like us a little better. Right now we are a little too ......EURO. Not what the typical north american hockey viewer want to see in the play-offs. This is a business, and the job is too make money, to do that you need to keep your viewers happy. The last thing the league wants is a boring final.

Also, I would agree with the OP. we need to start initiating the scrums, not survive them. Which gets back to the first part of my post.

The league wants the play-offs to be a battle, if we play too soft, they will bounce us out. If we would battle harder and play a little more of that north american smash mouth style, they would like us a little better. Right now we are a little too ......EURO. Not what the typical north american hockey viewer want to see in the play-offs. This is a business, and the job is too make money, to do that you need to keep your viewers happy. The last thing the league wants is a boring final.

Also, I would agree with the OP. we need to start initiating the scrums, not survive them. Which gets back to the first part of my post.

Scene 1.

Daniel gets punched in the face 10000 times by brad Marchand

Vancouver: That's a penalty, c'mon

Everyone else: That sedin is stupid, too scared to fight back

Scene 2.

Daniel gets punched in the face 10000 times by brad marchand

Daniel gives him a shove

Ref: Hey you, Sedin, game misconduct, get out

Vancouver: LOL

Everyone else: That was a classless act by the sister, you are not supposed to push in hockey

Our guys really need to learn that they need to play not on the edge but beyond it.  Being outright dirty to the point of illegal is the way to exploit refs creating "parity".  It's unfortunate and its a terrible state for the game to be in but if all the teams are busy playing a sleazy game, fans will get disinterested and reffing will have to change.  Giving the NHL too much of what they want is really the only way to show them what a stupid idea this sort of game is and solve the problem.

I think its time to clean house. Fire all the officials and start out fresh with a buncha guys who know that if they dont call a fair accurate game that their job is on the line. I think these days we have too many refs that are a lil too comfortable and too many have their own agendas. This will never happen but it would do lotss of good.

I was thinking about this last night and thought about the Chicago series last season. The Canucks were at their defensive best in this series by using their uptempo play defensively. With allowing some clutching and grabbing along with some interference, well this plays right into the Canucks hands. With Luongo in net, how are teams going to score unless the refs put the screws to us which we've seen in the past. I like the idea of just going with the current trend, how would teams score against the Canucks with lou in net? Plus the canucks have great penalty killing, so the odd penalty shouldn't hurt them!

Archived